- Volume 24 Issue 11
Sugarcane press residue (SPR), a byproduct from the sugar industry was evaluated for it's nutrient and energetic quality in broilers and layers. The composition of SPR included (% DM): CP-11.76 (methionine-2.21, cystine-1.05, lysine-4.85, threonine-5.48% of CP), EE-7.87 (palmitic acid-30.3, stearic acid-4.1, oleic aicd-17.2, linoleic acid-38.0, linolenic acid-5.4% of EE), CF-10.08, TA-21.08 (Ca-3.87, P-1.10, Mg-0.95%, Fe-3500, Mn-284, Zn-113, Cu-61.5, Co-5.0 ppm and AIA-4.93%) and NFE-48.35% indicating that SPR is a valuable source of both organic and inorganic nutrients for poultry. The metabolic trials revealed the average ME of SPR as 749, 842 and 1,270 kcal/kg, respectively in broilers and 844, 936 and 1,031 kcal/kg in layers, at 10, 20 and 30% inclusion levels, respectively. Further, the fortification of SPR incorporated diets with biotechnological products viz., lipid utilizing agents (lipase and lecithin) or NSP degrading enzymes and their combination did not improve the ME content of such diets.
Sugarcane Press Residue;Chemical Composition;Metabolizable Energy;Poultry
- Al-marzooqui, W. and S. Leeson. 2000. Effect of dietary lipase enzyme on gut morphology, gastric motility, and long term performance of broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 79:956-960. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.7.956
- AOAC. 2005. Official methods of analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 18th Ed., Washington, DC.
- Bhatia, I. S. 1969. Evaluation of feedstuffs available in India for protein quality and energy value. Final report (1964-1969), PAU, Ludhiana.
- Budeppa, H. B., B. S. V. Reddy, K. C. Singh and R. G. Doss. 2008. Influence of sugarcane press mud on serum and plasma inorganic phosphorus in broilers. Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 25(1): 93-96.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple f test. Biometrics 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Meng, X., B. A. Slominski and W. Guenter. 2004. The effect of fat type, carbohydrase, and lipase addition on growth performance and nutrient utilization of young broilers fed wheat-based diets. Poult. Sci. 83:1718-1727. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.10.1718
- Poddar, K. and S. Biswas. 1991. Metabolizable energy value of two rice bran samples differing in proximate composition. Indian J. Poult. Sci. 26(2):84-88.
- Singh, B. G. and S. Solomon. 1995. Alternative products form sugarcane: industrial and agricultural uses. In: sugarcane agroindustrial alternatives (Ed. B. G. Singh and S. Solomon). Vijay Pimlani for Oxford and IBH Pub. Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Sibbald, I. R. and S. J. Slinger. 1963. A biological assay for ME in poultry feed ingredients together findings which demonstrate some of the problems associated with the evaluation of fats. Poult. Sci. 42:313-325. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0420313
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. Statistical Methods. 9th edn., The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa.
- Southgate, D. A. T. 1973. Fiber and other unavailable carbohydrates and their effects on the energy value of the diet. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 32:131. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS19730030
- Suma, N., B. S. V. Reddy, R. G. Gloridoss, N. R. Rao, K. C. Singh, M. T. Rekha and A. R. Gomes. 2007. Egg quality traits of layers influenced by supplementation of different levels of sugarcane press residue. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 6(2):102-106. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2007.102.106
- Suresh, B. N., B. S. V. Reddy, T. M. Prabhu, R. G. Gloridoss and B. Jagadish. 2006. Nutritional evaluation of sugarcane pressmud in lambs. Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 23(1):47-49.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. Symposium on carbohydrate methodology, metabolism and nutritional implications in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3563-3597.
- Zablan, T. A., M. Giffith, M. C. Neshein, R. J. Young and M. L. Scott. 1963. ME of some oil meals and some unusual feedstuffs. Poult. Sci. 43(3):619-625.
- Effect of dietary utilisation of sugarcane press mud on production performance of Muzaffarnagari lambs vol.49, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-017-1345-1