- Volume 24 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Yield, Nutrient Characteristics, Ruminal Solubility and Degradability of Spent Mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) Substrates for Ruminants
- Kim, Y.I. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Cho, W.M. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Hong, S.K. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Oh, Y.K. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Kwak, W.S. (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2011.03.24
- Accepted : 2011.08.03
- Published : 2011.11.01
This study was conducted to evaluate the yield, nutrient characteristics, ruminal solubility, degradability and disappearance of spent mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) substrates for ruminants. The annual yield of spent Agaricus bisporus substrates was measured to be about 210,000 tons (M/T) in South Korea. The surface soil-removed spent substrates had nutritional characteristics of high crude ash (375 g/kg) and Ca (32 g/kg), medium protein (134 g/kg CP), and high fiber (384 g/kg NDF on a DM basis). Compared with initial mushroom substrates, spent mushroom substrates had twice higher (p<0.0001) CP content and 22.0% lower (p<0.0001) NDF content on an organic matter basis. Compared with raw rice straw, spent rice straw had much higher (p<0.05) predicted ruminal degradabilities and disappearances of DM and CP and a little lower (p<0.05) predicted degradability and disappearance of NDF. In conclusion, the general feed-nutritional value of spent mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) substrates appeared to improve after cultivation of mushrooms.
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis, 17th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Armentano, L. E., T. A. Herrinton, C. E. Polan, A. J. Moe, J. H. Herbein and P. Umstadt. 1986. Ruminal degradation of dried brewers grains, wet brewers grains and soybean meal. J. Dairy Sci. 69:2124-2133. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80644-0
- Bakshi, M. P. S. and P. N. Langar. 1991. Agaricus bisporus harvested spent wheat straw as livestock feed. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 61:653-654.
- Burton, K. S., J. B. V. Hammond and T. Minamide. 1994. Protease activity in Agaricus bisporus during periodic fruiting (flushing) and sporophore development. Curr. Microbiol. 28:275-278. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01573205
- Chang, S. T. 1999. World production of cultivated edible and medicinal mushrooms in 1997 with emphasis on Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Sing. in China. Int. J. Med. Mushrooms 1:291-300. https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJMedMushr.v1.i4.10
- Fazaeli, H. and A. R. Talebian Masoodi. 2006. Spent wheat straw compost of Agaricus bisporus mushroom as ruminant feed. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:845-851. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.845
- Kim, Y. I., J. S. Bae, S. H. Jung, M. H. Ahn and W. S. Kwak. 2007a. Yield and physicochemical characteristics of spent mushroom (Pleurotus ryngii, Pleurotus osteratus and Ammulina velutipes) substrates according to mushroom species and cultivation types. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 49:79-88. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.1.079
- Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery and Food (KMAFF). 2005. Yield of special-purpose crops (2004), Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery, and Food, Korea.
- Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery and Food (KMAFF). 2006. Yield of special-purpose crops (2005), Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery, and Food, Korea.
- Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery, and Food (KMAFF). 2007. Yield of special-purpose crops (2006), Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery and Food, Korea.
- Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery, and Food (KMAFF). 2008. Yield of special-purpose crops (2007), Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery, and Food, Korea.
- Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery, and Food (KMAFF). 2010. Notification No. 2010-29: Standard analytical method for feeds. Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery, and Food, Korea.
- Kwak, W. S., S. H. Jung and Y. I. Kim. 2008. Broiler litter supplementation improves storage and feed-nutritional value of sawdust-based spent mushroom substrate. Bioresour. Technol. 99:2947-2955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.06.021
- Langar, P. N., J. P. Sehgal and H. S. Garcha. 1980. Chemical changes in wheat and paddy straws after fungal cultivation. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 50:942-946.
- Langar, P. N., J. P. Sehgal, V. K. Rana, M. M. Singh and H. S. Garcha. 1982. Utilization of Agaricus bisporus-harvested spent wheat straw in the ruminant diets. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 52: 634-637.
- Maeda, Y., H. Takenaga, S. Aso and Y. Yamanaka. 1993. Utilization of heat-dried stipe of mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) for animal feed. J. Jpn. Soc. Grassl. Sci. 39:22-27.
- Makela, M., S. Galkin, A. Hatakka and T. Lundell. 2002. Production of organic acids and oxalate decarboxylase in lignin-degrading white rot fungi. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 30:542-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0229(02)00012-1
- Marwaha, C. L., S. Manoj, B. Singh, B. S. Katoch and M. Sharma. 1990. Comparative feeding value of untreated, ureaammoniated and fungal treated wheat straw in growing Jersey calves. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 43:308-313.
- Miller, E. L. 1982. Methods of assessing proteins for ruminants, including laboratory methods. In: Protein Contribution of Feedstuffs for Ruminants: Application to Feed Formulation (Ed. E. L. Miller and I. H. Pile). Butterworth scientific, London, England, pp. 18-35.
- National Research Council. 1996. Nutrient requirements of beef cattle, 7th Rev. Ed., National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- National Research Council. 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle, 7th Rev. Ed., National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nocek, J. E. 1985. Evaluation of specific variables affecting in situ estimates of ruminal dry matter and protein digestion. J. Anim. Sci. 60:1347-1358.
- Orskov, E. R., F. D. Hovell and F. Mould. 1980. The use of the nylon bag technique for the evaluation of feedstuffs. Trop. Anim. Prod. 5:195-213.
- Orskov, E. R., M. Hughes-Jones and M. E. Eliman. 1983. Studies on degradation and outflow rate of protein supplements in the rumen of sheep and cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 10:17-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(83)90003-9
- Riahi, H., A. Vahid and M. Sheidai. 1998. The first report of spent mushroom compost leaching from Iran. Acta Hortic. (Peking) 469:473-480.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2007. Korean Standard Feed Ingredients. National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration, Korea.
- SAS Institute Inc. 2002. SAS/STAT software for PC. Release 9.1, SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- Seok, J. S. 2009. Evaluation on energy and nutrient utilization by sheep of spent mushroom substrates (SMS) and SMS-based fermented forage. MS thesis. Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea.
- Smith, L. W., H. K. Goering, D. R. Waldo and C. H. Gordon. 1971. In vitro digestion rate of forage cell wall components, J. Dairy Sci. 54:71-79. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(71)85780-6
- Tuomela, M., M. Vikman, A. Hatakka and M. Itavaara. 2000. Biodegradation of lignin in a compost environment: a review. Bioresour. Technol. 72:169-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(99)00104-2
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wanapat, M. and A. Cherdthong. 2009. Use of real-time PCR technique in studying rumen cellulolytic bacteria population as affected by level of roughage in swamp buffaloes. Curr. Microbiol. 58:294-299. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-008-9322-6
- Williams, B. C., J. T. McMullan and S. McCahey. 2001. An initial assessment of spent mushroom compost as a potential energy feedstock. Bioresour. Technol. 79:227-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00073-6
- Zadrazil, F. 1997. Changes in in vitro digestibility of wheat straw during fungal growth and after harvest of oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus spp.) on laboratory and industrial scale. J. Appl. Anim. Sci. 11:37-48. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.1997.9706159
- Potential uses of spent mushroom substrate and its associated lignocellulosic enzymes vol.96, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-012-4446-9
- cultivation by using JUNCAO technique on production performance and hematology parameters of dairy cows pp.13443941, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12371
- In situ ruminal degradation characteristics of dry matter and crude protein from dried corn, high-protein corn, and wheat distillers grains vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-016-0115-3
- Yield survey and nutritional evaluation of garlic stalk for ruminant feed vol.59, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-017-0147-3
- cultivation on soil nutrients and bacterial communities in forestlands of northern China vol.6, pp.2167-8359, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.5741
- Environmentally sustainable applications of agro-based spent mushroom substrate (SMS): an overview vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10163-018-0739-0