- Volume 20 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Environmental and Ecological Characteristics Distribution of Natural Growth Region in Rhododendron Brachycarpum
만병초 자생지의 환경생태학적 특성
- Lee, Byung-Chul (The Garden of Morningcalm) ;
- Shim, Ie-Sung (Department of Environmental Horticulture, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2011.07.29
- Accepted : 2011.09.29
- Published : 2011.10.31
Rhododendron brachycarpum is a evergreen broad-leaved shrub and belongs to the Ericaceae family and the Rhododendron genus. It is well known for its beautiful leaves and flowers. There are 11 species of the Rhododendron genus in Korea. It includes 3 species - Rhododendron brachycarpum, Rhododendron aureum Georgi and Rhododendron brachycarpum var. roseum Koidz. They grow naturally over 1,000 meters above sea level of the Baekdu Mountain Range in Korea. These habitats, according to investigations of 9 Rhododendron brachycarpum natural habitats, are mostly located on the slope of mountains facing north at an altitude of 1,200 m to 1,526 m above sea level with angle of inclination from 30 degrees to 45 degrees. Based on the result of vegetation analysis of dominance species in the quadrates, there are Quercus aliena, Quercus mongolica Fisch. ex Ledeb, Abies holophylla in species of upper trees, and so on. Dominant species of woody plants in tree layer are Quercus aliena, Quercus mongolica Fisch. ex Ledeb, Abies holophylla, Betula platyphylla and Veeatrum patulum Loes. fil, Erythronium japonicum, Dryopteris crassirhizoma, Paeonia japonica var. glabra Makino are founded in herbaceous plants. And we can see another result of the investigation that the flowering rates of the plants with the buds are highly ranked mountains such as Mt. Hambaek 68%, Mt. Gyebang 40%, Mt. Yagksu 9%, Mt. Gaein 7% and Mt. Seolag 0%. The results show that there are 24 over 15-year-old Rhododendron brachycarpums in Mt. Odae and are 56 under 15-year-old trees in Mt. Hambaek and are no trees in Mt. Gyebang and are 9 over 30-year-dead trees only in Mt. Taebaeg. Out of found trees, the highest tree is 7 m in height and 0.6 m in diameter. Also this result shows what are the vulnerability factors of the natural habitats. They are as follows: indiscriminate trails in mountains, damages by mountain climbers, uncareful plant collecting, the fierce competitions with other plants such as Acer pseudosieboldianum var. ishidoyanum Uyeki, Quercus aliena, Celastrus orbiculatus and damages by disease and insect, unusual temperature in natural habitats, etc. Rhododendron brachycarpums have high ornamental value and excellent pharmaceutical effect. But the areas of its habitats decrease dramatically. So we need measures to protect and their natural habitats. It is necessary that we conductfurther investigations to designate conservation area for Rhododendron brachycarpums.
Altitude;Inclination;Natural habitats;Vulnerability factors
Grant : 희귀.특산식물 증식법 개발 및 신품종 육성사업
Supported by : 국립수목원
- 공우석, 2002, 한반도 고산식물의 구성과 분포, 대한지리학회, 37(4), 357-370.
- 국립환경과학원, 2007, 멸종위기 야생식물의 지속적 보전을 위한 방안.
- 김태욱, 1999, 한국의 수목, 교학사, 242.
- 홍혜옥, 1984, 한국산 만병초에 관한 연구, 박사학위논문, 강원대학교.
- 홍혜옥, 이기의, 유근창, 1984, 한국산 자생 만병초에 관한 연구, 한국원예학회, 25(1), 50-55.
- Christopher, B. K, 1996, RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants, Dk Rhs Encyclopedias, 868-882.
- Kong, W. S., Watts, D., 1993, The Plant Geography of Korea, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 229.
- Leach, D. C, 1961, Rhododendrons of the world and how to grow them, C. Scribner's Sons, New York, 544.
- Maximowicz, C. J., 1870, Diagnoses breves plantarum Japoniae et Mandshuriae, Bull. Acad. Imp, Sci. St. Petersb, 15, 225-231.
- Monk, C. D., Child G. I., Nicholson, S. A., 1969, Species diversity of a stratified Oak-Hickory community, Ecology, 50(3), 468-470. https://doi.org/10.2307/1933901
- Nakai, T., 1917, Notulae ad plantas Japoniae et Koreae. XIII., Botanical Magazine, Tokyo, 31,1-66. https://doi.org/10.15281/jplantres1887.31.1
- Nilsen, E. T, 1987, Influence of water relations and temperature on leaf movements of Rhododendron species, Plant Physiol, 83, 607-612. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.83.3.607
- Nilsen, E. T, 1992, Thermonastic leaf movements: A synthesis of research with Rhododendron, Bot. J. Linn, Soc, 110, 205-233. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8339.1992.tb00291.x
- Sean, H. G., 2003, Flora-A Gardener's Encyclopedia, Timber press, 1144-1201.
- Taiz, L. C., Zeiger, E. D., 2006, Plant Physiology, Sinauer Associates, 201-211.
- Vetaas, O. R., 2002, Realized and potential climate niches: a comparison of four Rhododendron tree species, Journal of Biogeography, 29, 545-554. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2699.2002.00694.x
- Inhibitory Effect of Extracts from Rhododendron Brachycarpum and Abies Koreana E.H. Wilson on Degranulation and Cytokine Expression in RBL-2H3 Cells vol.41, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2013.41.6.551
- Assessing Red List categories to a Korean endangered species based on IUCN criteria - Hanabusaya asiatica (Nakai) Nakai- vol.43, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11110/kjpt.2013.43.2.128