- Volume 5 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of dietary quality of adolescents using Healthy Eating Index
- Tek, Nilufer Acar ;
- Yildiran, Hilal ;
- Akbulut, Gamze ;
- Bilici, Saniye ;
- Koksal, Eda ;
- Karadag, Makbule Gezmen ;
- Sanher, Nevin
- Received : 2011.01.13
- Accepted : 2011.04.13
- Published : 2011.08.31
The aim of this study was to use the Healthy Eating Index-2005 (HEI-2005) to assess diet quality and determine the relationship between the HEI-2005 and the energy and nutrient intakes of adolescents. A cross-sectional study was conducted on 1,104 healthy adolescents, mean age of
Adolescent;diet quality;healthy eating index;nutrition
- Miller PE, Mitchell DC, Harala PL, Pettit JM, Smiciklas-Wright H, Hartman TJ. Development and evaluation of a method for calculating the Healthy Eating Index-2005 using the Nutrition Data System for Research. Public Health Nutr 2011;14:306-13. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980010001655
- McCabe-Sellers BJ, Bowman S, Stuff JE, Champagne CM, Simpson PM, Bogle ML. Assessment of the diet quality of US adults in the Lower Mississippi Delta. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86:697-706. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/86.3.697
- Pick ME, Edwards M, Moreau D, Ryan EA. Assessment of diet quality in pregnant women using the Healthy Eating Index. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105:240-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.11.028
- Guenther PM, Reedy J, Krebs-Smith SM. Development of the Healthy Eating Index-2005. J Am Diet Assoc 2008;108:1896-1901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2008.08.016
- Khalil CB, Johnson-Down L, Egeland GM. Emerging obesity and dietary habits among James Bay Cree youth. Public Health Nutr 2010;13:1829-37. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980010000406
- Shahar DR, Yu B, Houston DK, Kritchevsky SB, Lee JS, Rubin SM, Sellmeyer DE, Tylavsky FA, Harris TB; Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Dietary factors in relation to daily activity energy expenditure and mortality among older adults. J Nutr Health Aging 2009;13:414-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-009-0077-y
- Breslow RA, Guenther PM, Juan W, Graubard BI. Alcoholic beverage consumption, nutrient intakes, and diet quality in the US adult population, 1999-2006. J Am Diet Assoc 2010;110:551-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.12.026
- Feskanich D, Rockett HR, Colditz GA. Modifying the Healthy Eating Index to Assess Diet quality in children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 2004;104:1375-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.06.020
- Mirmiran P, Azadbakht L, Azizi F. Dietary quality-adherence to the dietary guidelines in Tehranian adolescents: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2005;75:195-200. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-9822.214.171.124
- Hurley KM, Oberlander SE, Merry BC, Wrobleski MM, Klassen AC, Black MM. The Healthy Eating Index and Youth Healthy Eating Index are unique, nonredundant measures of diet quality among low-income, African American Adolescents. J Nutr 2009;139:359-64. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.108.097113
- Story M, Holt K, Sofka D. Bright Futures in Practice: Nutrition. 2nd ed. Arlington VA: National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health; 2002.
- Katz DL, Friedman RSC. Diet and Adolescence. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincot Williams & Wilkins; 2008. p.326-7.
- Lohman TG, Roche AF, Martorell R. Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual. Champaign, Illinois: Kinetics Books; 1988.
- Rakıcıoglu N, Tek-Acar N, Ayaz A, Pekcan G. Meal and Food Catalog: Measurements and Quantities. 2nd ed. Ankara: Ata Ofset publications; 2009.
- Bebis Nutrition Data Base Software Data Base 2004. The German Food Code and Nutrient Data Base (BLS II.3, 1999) with additions from USDA-sr and other sources. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Freedman LS, Guenther PM, Krebs-Smith SM, Kott PS. A population's mean Healthy Eating Index-2005 scores are best estimated by the score of the population ratio when one 24-hour recall is available. J Nutr 2008;138:1725-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/138.9.1725
- Woodruff SJ, Hanning RM, McGoldrick K, Brown KS. Healthy eating index-C is positively associated with family dinner frequency among students in grades 6-8 from Southern Ontario, Canada. Eur J Clin Nutr 2010;64:454-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2010.14
- Monge-Rojas R, Smith-Castro V, Colon-Ramos U, Garita-Arce C, Sanchez-Lopez M, Chinnock A. Parental feeding styles and adolescents' healthy eating habits. Structure and correlates of a Costa Rican questionnaire. Appetite 2010;55:253-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2010.06.010
- Serra-Majema L, Ribasb L, Pérez-Rodrigoc C, García-Closasd R, Peña-Quintanaa L, Arancetac J. Determinants of nutrient intake among children and adolescents: Results from the enKid Study. Ann Nutr Metab 2002;46 (Suppl 1):31-8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000066398
- Woodruff SJ, Hanning RM, Lambraki I, Storey KE, McCargar L. Healthy Eating Index-C is compromised among adolescents with body weight concerns, weight loss dieting, and meal skipping. Body Image 2008;5:404-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2008.04.006
- de Andrade SC, de Azevedo Barros MB, Carandina L, Goldbaum M, Cesar CL, Fisberg RM. Dietary quality index and associated factors among adolescents of the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil. J Pediatr 2010;156:456-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2009.09.066
- Wang Y, Jahns L, Tussing-Humphreys L, Xie B, Rockett H, Liang H, Johnson L. Dietary intake patterns of low-income urban african-american adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 2010;110:1340-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2010.06.005
- Guo X, Warden BA, Paeratakul S, Bray GA. Healthy Eating Index and obesity. Eur J Clin Nutr 2008;58:1580-6.
- Kuhnlein HV, Receveur O, Chan HM. Traditional food systems research with Canadian Indigenous Peoples. Int J Circumpolar Health 2001;60:112-22.
- Goodwin DK, Knol LK, Eddy JM, Fitzhugh EC, Kendrick O, Donohue RE. Sociodemographic correlates of overall quality of dietary intake of US adolescents. Nutr Res 2006;26:105-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2006.02.004
- Freedman DS, Dietz WH, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS. The Relation of overweight to cardiovascular risk factors among children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study. Pediatrics 1999;103:1175-82. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.103.6.1175
- Pekcan G. Food and nutrition policies: what's being done in Turkey. Public Health Nutr 2006;9:158-62.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2000.
- O'Neil CE, Nicklas TA, Zanovec M, Cho SS, Kleinman R. Consumption of whole grains is associated with improved diet quality and nutrient intake in children and adolescents: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2004. Public Health Nutr 2011;14:347-55. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980010002466
- Harnack L, Walters SA, Jacobs DR Jr. Dietary intake and food sources of whole grains among US children and adolescents: data from the 1994-1996 Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals. J Am Diet Assoc 2003;103:1015-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(03)00470-X
- Larson NI, Neumark-Sztainer D, Story M, Burgess-Champoux T. Whole-grain intake correlates among adolescents and young adults: findings from Project EAT. J Am Diet Assoc 2010;110:230-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.10.034
- Unusan N. Fruit and vegetable consumption among Turkish university students. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2004;74:341-8. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-98126.96.36.1991
- Bas M, Altan T, Dincer D, Aran E, Kaya HG, Yuksek O. Determination of dietary habits as a risk factor of cardiovascular heart disease in Turkish adolescents. Eur J Nutr 2005;44:174-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-004-0509-8
- Neumark-Sztainer D, Story M, Resnick MD, Blum RW. Correlates of inadequate fruit and vegetable consumption among adolescents. Prev Med 1996;25:497-505. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.1996.0082
- Krebs-Smith SM, Cook A, Subar AF, Cleveland L, Friday J, Kahle LL. Fruit and vegetable intakes of children and adolescents in the United States. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1996;150:81-6. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.1996.02170260085014
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Nutrition Country Profiles-Turkey (2001). Prepared in the collaboration of Pekcan G (Turkey) and Marchesich R (ESNA-FAO). [accessed 8 October 2010] Available from: ftp://ftp.fao.org/es/esn/nutrition/ncp/turmap.pdf.
- Dwyer J, Cosentino C, Li D, Feldman H, Garceau A, Stevens M, Perry C, Hoelscher D, Webber LS, Zive M. Evaluating school-based interventions using the Healthy Eating Index. J Am Diet Assoc 2002;102:257-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90061-1
- Pekcan G, Karaagaoglu N. State of nutrition in Turkey. Nutr Health 2000;14:41-52. https://doi.org/10.1177/026010600001400105
- Larowe TL, Moeller SM, Adams AK. Beverage patterns, diet quality, and body mass index of US preschool and school-aged children. J Am Diet Assoc 2007;107:1124-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2007.04.013
- Troiano RP, Briefel RR, Carroll MD, Bialostosky K. Energy and fat intakes of children and adolescents in the United States: data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72(5 Suppl):1343S-1353S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/72.5.1343s
- Marshall TA, Eichenberger Gilmore JM, Broffitt B, Stumbo PJ, Levy SM. Diet quality in young children is influenced by beverage consumption. J Am Coll Nutr 2005;24:65-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2005.10719445
- A Randomized Clinical Trial of Nutrition Education for Improvement of Diet Quality and Inflammation in Iranian Obese Women vol.2014, pp.2090-0732, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/605782
- Diet quality among Iranian adolescents needs improvement vol.18, pp.04, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980014000767
- Diet quality is associated with measures of body fat in adolescents from Otago, New Zealand vol.18, pp.08, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980014001645
- Qualidade da dieta de jovens aos 18 anos de idade, pertencentes à coorte de nascimentos de 1993 da cidade de Pelotas (RS), Brasil vol.20, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-812320152011.17822014
- Evaluation of diet quality and its associated factors among adolescents in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia vol.9, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.5.511
- Nutritional intake and overall diet quality of female soccer players before the competition period vol.29, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-98652016000400010
- Socioeconomic status and dietary patterns in children from around the world: different associations by levels of country human development? vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-017-4383-8
- Description of the healthy eating indices-based diet quality in Turkish adults: a cross-sectional study vol.22, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12199-017-0613-z
- Validation of the Brazilian Healthy Eating Index-Revised Using Biomarkers in Children and Adolescents vol.10, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10020154
- An Evaluation of Factors Predicting Diet Quality among Cancer Patients vol.10, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10081019