- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Carcass Traits on Economic Values in Hanwoo
한우의 도체 형질이 경제성에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Jung-Jae (Department of Animal Science, College of Agriculture, Life & Environment Science Chungbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Seung-Deok (Animal Products Grading Service) ;
- Dang, Chang-Gwon (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kang, Suk-Nam (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Nae-Soo (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University)
- 이중재 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 축산학과) ;
- 최승덕 (축산물 등급 판정소) ;
- 당창권 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 축산학과) ;
- 강석남 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 김내수 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 축산학과)
- Received : 2011.06.14
- Accepted : 2011.08.22
- Published : 2011.08.31
The objective of this study was to investigate factors related to carcass traits of Hanwoo. In the statistical model developed in this study, slaughterhouse, carcass year, carcass month and sex effects were used as fixed effects and carcass traits (carcass weight, marbling score, loineye muscle area, backfat thickness and meat yield index) as covariations. The grading service data for 285,515 Hanwoo, which were evaluated by Animal Products Grading Service from 2005 to 2007, were used in this study. The partial R-square values of the fixed effects and the marbling score (MS), loineye muscle area, back-fat thickness, meat yield index and carcass weight (CW) on auction prices (AP) of the carcass and carcass price (CP) of the animals were estimated. The most important estimated trait in AP was MS. However, CW is the most important estimated trait on the CP and the MS also has secondly significant effect on the CP. In conclusion, MS as well as CW should maximize the farmer profits and establish a breeding scheme for Hanwoo.
Supported by : 충북대학교
- Ahn, B. H., Lyu, J. S., Kang, H. B., Ahn, D. W., and Chung, J. S. (2000) Effects of levels of roughage on performance and beef quality of Hanwoo steers. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42, 619-628.
- Ahn, B. H., Song, S. C., and Lyu, J. S. (2002) Effects of proportion of roughages and concentrates on growth and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 44, 747-756. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.6.747
- Apple, J. K., Davis, J. C., Stephenson, J., Hankis, J. E., Davis, J. R., and Beaty, S. L. (1999) Influence of body condition score on carcass characteristics and subprimal yield from cull beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 77, 2660-2669.
- Cho, Y. M., Chang, S. S., Kim, H. C., Kim, T. I., Park, B. K. Peak, B. H., Kim, J. H., and Kwon, E. G. (2009) Effects of concentrate feeding method and slaughter age on growth performance, feed intake and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 51, 53-60. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.1.053
- Chung, C. K. (2000) A study on the time-series variation Korean-cattle prices. Kor. J. Food Marketing Economics 17, 39-50.
- Field, R. A. (1971) Effect of castration on meat quality and quantity. J. Anim. Sci. 32, 849-858.
- Galli, I., Teira, G., Perlo, F., Bonato, O., Monje, A., and Vittone, S. (2008) Animal performance and meat quality in cull cows with early weaned calves in Argentina. Meat Sci. 79, 521-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.10.007
- Gresham, J. D., Holloway, J. W., Butts, J. W. T., and McCurley, J. R. (1986) Prediction of mature cow carcass composition from live animal measurements. J. Anim. Sci. 63, 1041-1048.
- Hogan, J. C. and Todd, M. C. (1979) Empirical tests of spatial and structural effects on cattle auction prices. Aust. J. Agr. Economics 23, 176-190. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8489.1979.tb00242.x
- Hong, S. K., Back, B. H., Kang, H. S., and Cho, W. M. (1996) Effects of restricted feeding and market weights on the carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 38, 215-230.
- Hwang, J. M., Kim, S. D., Choy, Y. H., Yoon, H. B., and Park, C. J. (2008) Genetic parameter estimation of carcass traits of Hanwoo steers. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 50, 613-620. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.613
- Jeong, J., Hwang, J. M., Seong, N. I., Kim, J. B., Hwang, I. K., and Kim, Y. C. (2009) Effects of supplemented PROSOL( R) as an emulsifier on growth performance and carcass characteristics in Hanwoo steers of final fattening period. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 51, 395-406. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.5.395
- Kang, S. W., Chung, Y. H., Son, Y. S., and Chung, C. H. (1994) Effects of growing-fattening period on the feed efficiency, meat production and by-products of Korean native bulls. Kor. J. Anim. Nutr. Feed. 18, 452-460.
- Kim, C. H. (1999) Development predicting models and analysis influential factors on Korean cattle price. Kor. J. Food Marketing Economics 16, 71-90.
- Kim, D. G., Jung, K. K., Sung, S. K., Choi, C. B., Kim, S. K., Kim, D. Y., and Choi, B. J. (1996) Effects of age on the carcass characteristics of Hanwoo and Holstein steers. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 38, 268-274.
- Kim. D. J., Lee. C. W., Lee. C. Y., and Kim. J. B. (2010a) The influence of carcass traits on carcass price in mature Hanwoo cow. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 52, 157-164. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.157
- Kim. H. S., Hwang. J. M., Choi. T. J., Park. B. H., Cho. K. H., Park. C. J., and Kim. S. D. (2010b) Research on the reformation of the selection index for Hanwoo proven bull. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 52, 83-90. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.083
- Kim, T. G., Lee, S. Y., Kwon, O. O., Park, J. H., and Jung, G. G. (2002) Optimal age of high quality Hanwoo beef. Kor. J. Agric. Management Policy 29, 627-638.
- Klosterman, Earle W., Kunkle, L. E., Gerlaugh, Paul., and Cahill, V. R. (1954) The effect of age castration upon rate and economy of gain and carcass quality of beef calves. J. Anim. Sci. 13, 817-825.
- Lee, D. H., Choudhary, V., and Lee, G. H. (2006) Genetic parameter estimates for ultrasonic meat qualities in Hanwoo cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19, 468-474. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.468
- Lee, D. H., Lee, G. H., Cho, C. I., and Kim, N. S. (2008) Effects of body condition score and estimation of growth curves for chest girth and ultra sonic longissimus muscle area, backfat thickness and marbling scores in Hanwoo. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 50, 581-590. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.581
- Lee, K. C., Park, N. H., Jeong, J., Lee, S. S., Oh, Y. S., Back, K. H., and Jung, K. K. (2004) Effects of castration and slaughtering ages on physico-chemical characteristics of Hanwoo M. longissimus dorsi. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 46, 165-172.
- Lee, M. Y. (1998) Effects of body weight and age on carcass traits of Hanwoo(Korean cattle) steer. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 40, 221-226.
- Moon, W. G., Kim, B. W., Roh, S. H., Kim, H. S., Jung, D. J., Sun, D. W., Kim, K. N., Yoon, Y. T., Jung, J. H., Jeon, J. T., and Lee, J. G. (2007) Estimation of environmental effect of genetic parameters for the carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean cattle). Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49, 689-698. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.6.689
- Murphy, T. A. and Loerch, S. C. (1994) Effects of restricted feeding of growing steers on performance, carcass characteristics, and composition. J. Anim. Sci. 72, 2497-2507.
- Murphy, T. A., Loerch, S.C., and Dehority, B. A. (1994) The influence of restricted feeding on site and extent of digestion and flow of nitrogenous compounds to the duodenum in steers. J. Anim. Sci. 72, 2487-2496.
- Park, C. J. and Park, Y. I. (2002) Estimation of genetic correlations for the growth and carcass traits in Hanwoo. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49, 685-692.
- Porter, D. and Todd, M. (1985) The effect of carcass quality on beef carcass auction prices. Aust. J. Agric. Economics 29, 225-234. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8489.1985.tb00446.x
- Rios-Utrera, A., Cundiff, L. V., and Gregory, K. E. (2006) Effect of age, weight and fat slaughter end points on estimates of breed and retained heterosis effects for carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 84, 63-87.
- Roh, S. H., Kim, B. W., Kim, H. S., Min, H. S., Yoon, H. B., Lee, D. H., Jeon, J. T., and Lee, J. K. (2004) Comparison between REML and Bayesian via Gibbs sampling algorithm with a mixed animal model to estimate genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hanwoo. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 46, 719-728. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.5.719
- SAS (2004) SAS/STAT 9.1 User's Guide Vol. 1. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shackelford, S. D., Koohmaraie, M., and Wheeler, T. L. (1995) Effects of slaughter age on meat tenderness and USDA carcass maturity scores of beef females. J. Anim. Sci. 73, 3304-3309.
- Shin, J. S., Kim, J. B., Sung, K. I., Yuh, I. S. Kim, K. E., and Hong B. J. (1994) Establishment of Korean native cattle feeding system for high quality beef production. Kor. J. Anim. Nutr. Feed. 18, 373-381.
- Smith, T., Domingue, J. D., Paschal, J. C., Franke, D. E., Bidner, T. D., and Whipple, G. (2007). Genetic parameters for growth and carcass traits of Brahman steers. J. Anim. Sci. 89, 1377-1384.
- Van Vleck, L. D., Cundiff, L. V., and Wheeler, T. L. (2007) Across-breed adjustment factors for expected progeny differences for carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 85, 1369-1376. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-658
- Won, Y. S., Park, C. J., Park, N. H., Kim, N. S., Kim, J. B., and Jeon, G. J.(2000) A study on optimum breeding scheme for Hanwoo. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42, 407-414.
- Yoon, H. B., Kim, S. D., Na, S. H., Chang, U. M., Lee, H. K., Jeon, G. J., and Lee, D. H. (2002) Estimation of genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hanwoo steer. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 44, 383-390. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.4.383
- Yun, Y. T., Kim, D. G., and Sung, S. K. (1994) A study on the major carcass traits of the Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) and Holstein by the various carcass weight classes. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 36, 175-183.
- Contribution analysis of Hanwoo carcass traits on unit price in national slaughter house vol.43, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160063
- Identification of SNPs in TG and EDG1 genes and their relationships with carcass traits in Korean cattle (Hanwoo) vol.39, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2012.39.3.349
- Effects of Carcass Traits on Auction Price in Hanwoo vol.54, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.2.77
- Contribution Analysis of Carcass Traits on Auction Price in Gyeongsangnam-do Hanwoo vol.49, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2015.49.6.187