- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Real Picture of the Care Costs Paid to Korean Oncology Advanced Practice Nurses
종양전문간호사 업무에 대한 수가 실태
- Kim, Dal-Sook (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Soo-Hyun (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Kim, Kwang-Sung (Catholic University, Seoul St. Mary's Hospital) ;
- Jun, Myung-Hee (Department of Nursing, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Hyun (College of Nursing.The Research Institute of Nursing Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Joo (Department of Nursing, Woosong University)
- 김달숙 (충남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 김수현 (인하대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김광성 (가톨릭대학교 서울성모병원 간호팀) ;
- 전명희 (대전대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김진현 (서울대학교 간호대학.간호과학연구소) ;
- 이현주 (우송대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2011.07.15
- Accepted : 2011.08.04
- Published : 2011.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the actual care costs paid to Korean Oncology Advanced Practice Nurses (KOAPN). Methods: We collected data using a group discussion and questionnaire identified 115 tasks from job descriptions developed by the Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing. Forty-two KOAPN working at three university hospitals in Seoul were asked to evaluate each task as to type and whether the cost is paid or not. They were also asked to indicate the tasks in urgent need of development of a care cost with high priority. Results: Only five tasks (4.3%) related to treatment and complication related interventions or education were paid, and they were paid only once during the entire treatment period and were not covered by national health insurance. It was approved as a medical fee by health insurance review & assessment service. Furthermore, the names of the authority (doctor) and the actual provider (nurse) of the prescriptions were different for three of those tasks. Most of the suggested tasks needing development of care costs were actions specifically performed by nurses (physical-psychosocial-spiritual assessment, independent nursing interventions). Conclusion: KOAPN are currently paid for few tasks. To maximize the utilization of KOAPN, the establishment of a clear rational payment system directly related to their actual activities is needed.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. Annual report of national cancer registration project (The cancer statistics in 2008). Available at: http://stat.mw.go.kr [accessed on 10 July, 2011].
- Kim MY, Park SA. The role behaviors of oncology nurse specialist. J. Korean Oncol Nurs 2003;3:24-44.
- Lee ER, Kwak MK, Kim EJ, Kwon IG, Hwang MS. Job analysis of korean oncology advanced practice nurses in clinical workplace-using the DACUM. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2010;10:24-44.
- Kim MY. Analysis of nursing services of oncology advanced practice nurses from the view point of structure and process. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2008;14:352-63.
- Kim MY. Nursing outcomes in cancer patients cared by oncology advanced practice nurses during chemotherapy [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;2008.
- Korean Accreditation Board Nursing. Role & Core Confidency. Available at: http://kabon.or.kr/HyAdmin/upload/filelinkFile/tumor_.pdf [accessed on July 7, 2009].
- Ministry of Government Legislation. Regulation of APN certification. Available at: http://www.law.go.kr [accessed on 8 August, 2009].
- Wikipedia. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cost [accessed on 9 July, 2011].
- The National Assembly of Republic of Korea. Available at: http://likms.assembly.go.kr/law/jsp/main.jsp [accessed on 16 July, 2011].
- Korean Hospital Association. National Health Insurance Cost. 2009. Seoul: Korean Hospital Association.
- Korean Accreditation Board Nursing. Vision for Korean Advanced Practiced Nurses & legal issues. Proceedings of International Congress of Korean Advanced Practiced Nurses.; 2011 April 28; Seoul, Korea.
- Kim HS. The nature of theoretical thinking in nursing. 3rd ed. New York: Springer Pubilshing Company. 2010.
- Cohen SM, Goudreau KA, TishKnobf M, McGuire DB, Ponto JA, Rosenzwei MQ, et al. Oncology Nurse Practitioner Competencies. Available at: http://www.ons.org/media/ons/docs/publications/npcompentencies.pdf [accessed on 11 Sep, 2011]
- Kwon YD, Sung YH, Kwon IG, Hwang MS. A study on the present status of clinical nurses with expanded role. Korean Clin Nurs Res 2008; 14:99-115.
- Komatsu H. Oncology certified nurse specialist in Japan. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2010;40:876-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyq139