- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Meta-Analysis of the Effectiveness on Foot-Reflexo-Massage for Cancer Patients
암환자에게 적용한 발반사 마사지 중재효과의 메타분석
- Kim, Min-Young (Department of Nursing, Graduate School of Sahmyook University) ;
- Oh, Pok-Ja (Department of Nursing, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2011.06.02
- Accepted : 2011.07.28
- Published : 2011.08.31
Purpose: This study was performed to analyze the characteristics and effect sizes of intervention studies on foot-reflexo-massage applied to cancer patients. Methods: For meta-analysis, a total of 159 studies were retrieved from search engines such as RISS, nanet, KISS, richis and KoreaMed. 16 studies published from 1990 to 2010 were selected based on the inclusion criteria. The data were analyzed with the RevMan 5.0 program of Cochrane library. Results: 1) The mean score of 1 implement time on foot-reflexo-massage was 25.62 minutes, the average number of days was 4.12 days, and the total number of average intervention frequency was 4.25 times. 2) Intervention studies on foot-reflexo-massage included 9 studies on anxiety (56.3%), 7 for pain (43.8%), 5 for BP/pulse (31.3%), 5 for fatigue (31.3%), 3 for nausea/vomiting (18.8%), 3 for sleep satisfaction (18.8%), and 2 for depression (12.5%). 3) The effect sizes of the intervention studies that showed higher effect size were in order, anxiety (d=-1.76), fatigue (d=-1.43), depression (d=-1.03), nausea and vomiting (d=-0.83), pain (d=-0.77), pulse rate (d=-0.61), blood pressure (d=-0.55), and sleep satisfaction (d=0.43). Conclusion: This study suggests that foot-reflexo-massage can increase sleep satisfaction, whereas decreasing blood pressure, pulse rate, anxiety, fatigue, depression, nausea, vomiting and pain.
- National Cancer Information Center. Available at: http://www.cancer.go.kr/cms/public_project/education/index.html [accessed on June 2010].
- Kim MH. Main symptoms of cancer patients by stage in a general hospital[thesis]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.;2010.
- Lee KS, Ahn HS, Hwang RI, Lee YS, Koo BH. Utilization of alternative therapies in cancer patients. J Korean Cancer Assoc 1998;30:203-13.
- Wang S. A research on the actual use of complementary and alternative therapies by cancer patients[thesis]. Seoul:KyungHee Univ.;2007.
- Jun MH, Uhm DC, Jeong SH. The analysis of the Korean nursing research trends on complementary and alternative therapies for cancer patients. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2009;9:67-75.
- Kim EJ. The effect of guided imagery with visual screen on depression and sleep of geriatric cancer patient [thesis]. Jinju:Gyeongsang National Univ.;2008.
- Choi JI. The effect of home-based exercise program in stomach cancer patients undergoing oral chemotherapy after surgery [dissertation]. Seoul: KyungHee Univ.;2008.
- Lee E. The effects of aroma hand massage on anxiety and sleep in cancer patients during hospitalization [thesis]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.; 2010.
- Chun NM, Kim SH. The effects of hand massage on comfort in women with gynecologic cancer undergoing chemotherapy. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2010;10:88-94.
- Yang JH. The effects of foot reflexology on nausea, vomiting and fatigue of breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs 2005;35:177-85.
- Kim EJ, Kyong BS. The effects of foot reflexology on pain and quality of sleep in patients with terminal cancer. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 2008;14:33-44.
- Kwon HS. The treatment of the reflex massage of feet improves on the depressive disorder in the cerebellar ataxic patient[thesis]. Iksan:Wonkwang Univ.;2009.
- Song HH. Challenge for the future development of nursing concept. Nurs Query 1992;1:148-9.
- Choi JK. Meta-analysis of the effectiveness of nursing intervention on nausea.vomiting, anxiety, and fatigue in cancer patients treated by chemotherapy [thesis]. Gwangju:Chonnam National Univ.;2007.
- Park SW. Meta-analysis nursing interventions effectiveness for symptom management of cancer patients[thesis]. Seoul:Korea Univ.;2007.
- Mackey BT. Massage therapy and reflexology awareness. Nurs Clin North Am 2001;36:159-70.
- Cochrane. Available at: http://www.cochrane.org/policy-manual/325111-guidelines-managing-reviews-overlapping-scope[accessed on 9 August 2010]
- Ezzo JM, Richardson MA, Vickers A, Allen C, Dibble SL, Issell BF, et al. Acupuncture-point stimulation for chemotherapy-induced nausea or vomiting (review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;19:CD002285.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral science (2nd ed), New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associate, Inc;1988.
- Synder-Halpern R, Verran JA. Instrumentation to describe subjective sleep characteristics in health subjects. Res Nurs Health 1987;10:155-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770100307
- Snyder M, Eqan EC, Burns KR. Efficacy of hand massage in decreasing agitation behaviors associated with care activities in persons with dementia. Geriatr Nurs 1995;16:60-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4572(05)80005-9
- Greer S, Moorey S. Adjuvant psychological therapy for cancer patients. Palliat Med 1997;11:240-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/026921639701100309
- Kim YW, Yang CK, Choi BW, Han HM. Study of depression in cancer patients on radiotherapy. Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 1996;39:260-7.
- Yang MJ, Jeon YW, Han SI, Han CW, Eom HS. Depression and pain in patients with cancer-A preliminary study-, Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 2000;39:1122-31.
- Kim YJ. A study on cancer patients' and their family members' depression and suicidal ideation [thesis]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.;2008.
- Mock V. Fatigue management: Evidence and guidelines for practice. Cancer, 2001;92:1699-707. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010915)92:6+<1699::AID-CNCR1500>3.0.CO;2-9
- Han HH. The effectiveness of foot-reflexo-massage on the postoperative pain of gastrectomy patients[thesis]. Suwon:Ajou Univ.;2001.
- Kyong BS. The effectiveness of reflexology on pain, anxiety, quality of sleep in patients with terminal cancer[thesis]. Daejeon:Daejeon Univ.;2006.
- Cho HM. Effect of foot-reflexo-massage on stress and immune function in patients with gastric cancer[dissertation]. Daegu:Keimyung Univ.;2002.
- Neymark N, Crott R. Impact of emesis on clinical and economic outcomes of cancer therapy with highly emetogenic chemotherapy regimens: A retrospective analysis of three clinical trials. Support care Cancer 2005;13:812-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-005-0803-x