- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Acupressure for Nausea and Vomiting in Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy
지압이 항암요법환자의 오심과 구토에 미치는 효과 관련 연구 분석
- Jang, Soon-Yang (Department of Nursing, College of Health and Welfare, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Park, Jeong-Sook (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2011.05.30
- Accepted : 2011.07.28
- Published : 2011.08.31
Purpose: This study was to analyze the characteristics and effect size of intervention studies that used acupressure for the control of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV). Methods: Nine electronic databases including Korea Education Research and Information, the National Assembly Library, KISS, Korea Med, NDSL, PubMed, EBSCO, Cochrane library, and OVID (to December, 2009) were searched. Thirteen studies of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) or controlled clinical trials (CCTs) were selected. Data were analyzed by SPSS/WIN 18.0. Results: Overall effect size of acupressure was moderate (0.684). Nausea had a moderate effect size (0.770) and nausea and vomiting had a high effect size (0.899). Acupressure using sticker needles had a high effect size (1.368) among finger acupressure, si-acupuncture, and wrist band treatment. Conclusion: This study suggests that acupressure using sticker needles on the spots of nei-guan, chok-samni and hap-kok can reduce the levels of nausea and vomiting in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. For improving the reliability of the meta-analysis results, further randomized controlled trials with better study methodology are needed.
- Statistics Korea. 2009 Statistics report on the cause of death. Available at: http://www.kostat.go.kr [accessed on November 10, 2010].
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. Annual Report of cancer incidence (2007), cancer prevalence (2007)and survival (1993-2007) in Korea. Seoul:Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs;2009.
- Baek NS. You must know the cancer to win it, From Prevention to Complete Recovery. Seoul:Hongsin Moon Hwasa;1999; 73-8.
- Kim BJ, Kim YH, Jeon MH, Choi JS. Care for cancer patients, management of symptom Seoul:Hyunmoon Press;2000; 163-202.
- Jung KH. The effect of muscle relaxation therapy on nausea, vomiting and anxiety of children with chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2000;6:60-8.
- Choi YH. Effect of P6 acupressure and Korean hand acupuncture on chemotherapy-induced nausea, vomiting and anorexia among cancer patients [dissertation]. Daegu:Keimyung Univ.;2003.
- Kang MA, Shin YS, Kim YK. The Effect of Acupressure on the Spots of Zoksamli and Sagwan with Si-Acupuncture on Chemotherapy Related Nausea and Vomiting in Patients with Stomach Cancer. J Korean Clin Nurs Research 2005;10:145-56.
- Kim EJ. Effects of Nei-Guan acupressure by wrist band on chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting in patients with liver cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2007.
- Kim YJ. Effects of the Nei-Guan (P6) acupressure on chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting in patients with lung cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2002.
- Lee KH. Effects of Nei-Guan acupressure on chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting in patients with ovarian cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2003.
- Shin YH, Kim TI, Shin MS, Juon HS. Effect of acupressure on nausea and vomiting during chemotherapy in postoperative stomach cancer patient. Cancer Nurs 2004;27:267-73. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200407000-00002
- Jung ES. Effects of aroma oil inhalation on nausea, vomiting and anorexia in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy [dissertation]. Daegu:Keimyung Univ.;2002.
- Yang JH. The Effects of Foot Reflexology on Nausea, Vomiting and Fatigue of Breast Cancer Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs 2005;35:177-85.
- East-west nursing research institute. An introdution to oriental nursing. Seoul:Soomoon Press;2000; 312-25.
- National Center of Complementary Alternative Medicine. What is Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)?. Available at:http://nccam.nih./health/whatiscam/ [accessed on November 10, 2010].
- Dibble SL, Chapman J, Mack KA, Shih AS. Acupressure for nausea: results of a pilot study. Oncol Nurs Forum 2000;27:41-7.
- Baek GS. Effects of meridian acupressure therapy using sticker needles for nausea, vomiting and anorexia caused by chemotherapy in cancer patients [dissertation]. Seoul: KyungHee Univ.;2008.
- Kim YJ. The Effect of meridian acupressure therapy using Sticker needles for nausea, vomiting caused by chemotherapy in the lung cancer patient [dissertation]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.;2009.
- Shin HS, Lee SB, Ryu KH. Effects of Nei-Guan Acupressure on Nausea, Vomiting and Anorexia in Gynecological Cnacer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy. J East-West Nurs Research 2009;15:26-33.
- Oh SS. Meta-analysis: Theory and Practice. Seoul:Konkuk University Press;2009; 58-186.
- Seo JY, Park WJ. The meta analysis of trends and the effects of non-pharmacological intervention for school aged ADHD children. J Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2010;19:117-32.
- Roscoe JA, Matteson SE, Morrow GR, Hickok JT, Bushunow P, Griggs J, et al. Acustimulation Wrist Bands Are Not Effective for the Control of Chemotherapy-Induced Nausea in Women with Breast Cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 2005;29:376-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2004.07.007
- Jones E, Isom S, Kemper K, McLean T. Acupressure for Chemotherapy-associated Nausea and Vomiting in Children. J Soci Integr Oncol 2008; 6:141-5.
- Molassiotis A, Helin AM, Dabbour R, Hummerston S. The effects of P6 acupressure in the prophylaxis of chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting in breast cancer patients. Complement Ther Med 2007;15:3-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2006.07.005
- Kim TI, Shin YH, Oh MS. Effect of Acupressure on Nausea-vomiting and Weight Change among Pediatric Cancer Patients Receiving Anti-cancer Chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2004;10:98-107.
- Rhodes VA. Nausea, vomitting, and retching. Nursing Clinical North America 1990;24:885-901.
- Jadad AR, Moore RA, Carroll D, Jenkinson C, Reynolds DM, Gavaghan DJ, et al. Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?. Controlled Clin Trials 1996;17:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(95)00134-4
- Cubeddu LX, O'Connor DT, Parmer RJ. Plasma chromogranin; a maker of serotonin release and of emesis associated with cisplatin chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 1995;1:681-7.
- Kim DW. Chimgu Hwqngjeboguam. Acu-Moxa Royal Guide 1. Seoul: Sunghan and Kim;1999.