- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Preoperative Pain Management Education on the Control of Postoperative Pain -Focused on the PCA used Surgical Patients with Uterine Tumor-
수술 전 통증관리교육이 수술 후 통증조절에 미치는 효과 -자가통증조절기를 사용하는 자궁종양 수술환자를 중심으로-
- Park, Jeong Sook (College of Nursing, Keimyung University) ;
- Lee, Mi Hwa (Keimyung University Dongsan Medical Center) ;
- Lee, Hye Ran (Department of Nursing, Munkyung College)
- Received : 2011.05.30
- Accepted : 2011.07.28
- Published : 2011.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of preoperative pain management education on postoperative pain control in patients with uterine tumor using patient controlled analgesia. Methods: This study used non-equivalent control group non-synchronized design. Data were collected from September, 2008 to March, 2009 at one university hospital in Daegu, Korea. There were 60 participants, 30 in both the experimental and control group. The experimental group was given preoperative pain education using videos, leaflets, and a PCA model. Postoperative pain intensity, frequency of the PCA button being pressed, and doses of additional analgesics were observed through 24 hours postoperative and knowledge of pain and attitude about the use of the pain medicine were measured at 3 days postoperative. Collected data were analyzed using t-test,
- Lee JJ. Clinical comparisons of abdominal hysterectomy, laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy, and vaginal hysterectomy. Busan:Inje Univ.;2007.
- Lee MH. The effect of a pain education program for surgical patient [dissertation]. Seoul: Dankook Univ.;2005.
- Ribeiro SC, Ribeiro RM, Santos NC, Pinotti JA. A randomized study of total abdominal, vaginal and laparoscopic hysterectomy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2003;83:37-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7292(03)00271-6
- Kang HS, Park HJ. Comparison of postoperative pain after abdominal and laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy by using IV-PCA. Korean J Anesthesiol 2007;52:301-5. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2007.52.3.301
- Robinson ME, Riley JL, Myers CD, Papas RK, Wise EA, Waxenberg LB, et al. Gender role expectations of pain: relationship to sex differences in pain. J Pain 2001;2:251-7.
- Jang YJ. Post operative pain of spinal surgery patients' and satisfaction about intervention of pain control [dissertation]. Jeonju:Chonbuk National Univ.;2004.
- Shin CH. The effect of PCA education and P6 acupressure on post operative pain, nausea and vomiting of hysterectomy patient [dissertation]. Jinju:Gyeong National Univ.;2004.
- Anwari JS, Ahmed F. An audit of acute pain service in Central. Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J 2005;26:298-305.
- Ketovuori H. Nurse's and patients' conception of wound pain and the administration of analgesics. J Pain Symptom Manag 1987;2:213-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(87)80059-3
- Knoerl DV, Fault-Callahan M, Paice J, Shott S. Preoperative PCA teaching program to manage postoperative pain. Medsurg Nurs 1999;8:25-33.
- Chen HH, Yeh ML, Yang HJ. Testing the impact of a multimedia video CD of patient-controlled analgesia on pain knowledge and pain relief in patients receiving surgery. Int J Med Inf 2005;74:437-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2005.04.003
- Lee JH. The effect of a structured PCA education on the knowledge and attitudes regarding PCA usage, pain score, and the consumption of analgesics after operation - Focused on the Colorectal surgery patients- [dissertation]. Gachon:Gachon Univ.;2008.
- Seo HS, Park KS. The effect of education on preoperative PCA upon postoperative pain. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2002;14:449-58.
- Hwang YJ, Park YH, Park IS, Kim NY, Kim JM, Kim JK. The effects of nursing education using CD ROM on the anxiety and knowledge of patients having minor surgery. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2004;16:82-9.
- McCaffery M, Ferrell BR. Nurses knowledge about cancer pain: a survey of five countries. J Pain Symptom Manage 1995;19:356-69.
- Park YS, Shin YH. Nurses' Knowledge on Pain Management. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1994;6:299-307.
- Lee YY. Patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) for post-operative patients a study on differences according to who controls the analgesic. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2007;14:315-22.
- Park JS, Lee HS. Actual condition, knowledge and attitude of patient controlled analgesics (PCA) in postoperative patients. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2007;14:18-28.
- Vander AJ, Shermar JH, Luciano DS. Human physiology: The mechanism of body function (8th ed.). New York St Louis San Francisco Auckland Bogota Caracas Lisbon London Madrid Mexico city Milan Montral New Delhi San Juan Singapore Sydney Tokyo Toronto:McGraw-Hill Inc.2004.
- Choi JE. The study on the development and the effect of PCA education program including preoperatory sensory information for gynecologic surgery patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Korea Univ.;2009.
- Park JH. The effects of the preoperative education about IV-PCA on the consumption of analgesics. Asan:Soonchunhyang Univ.;2005.
- Chumbley GM, Ward L, Hall GM, Salmon P. Pre-operative information and patient -controlled analgesia. Anaesthesia 2004;59:354-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2004.03661.x