- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Signal Processing for Perpendicular Recording Systems
- Lee, Jun (M & S Lab., AMT Gr., LG electronics) ;
- Woo, Choong-Chae (Department of electronics and computer engineering, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2011.03.02
- Published : 2011.03.31
Longitudinal recording has been the cornerstone of all two generations of magnetic recording systems, FDD and HDD. In recent, perpendicular recording has received much attention as promising technology for future high-density recording system Research into signal processing techniques is paramount for the issued storage system and is indispensable like longitudinal recording systems. This paper focuses on the performance evaluation of the various detectors under perpendicular recording system. Parameters for improving the their performance are examined for some detectors. Detectors considered in this work are the partial response maximum likelihood (PRML), noise-predictive maximum likelihood (NPML), fixed delay tree search with decision feedback (FDTS/DF), dual decision feedback equalizer (DDFE) and multilevel decision feedback equalizer (MDFE). Their performances are analyzed in terms of mean squared error (MSE) and noise power spectra, and similarity between recording channel and partial response (PR) channel.
- J. Moon and L. R. Carley, "Performance comparison of detection methods in magnetic recording," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 3155-3171, Nov. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.102903
- J. Kurihara, H. Osawa and Y. Okamoto, "RLL coded PR (1,2,3,4,3,2,1) ML system for double layer perpendicular magnetic recording," IEEE Intermag, CA08, Jan. 2001.
- J. D. Coker, E. Eleftheriou, R. L. Galbraith and W. Hirt, "Noise predictive maximum likelihood (NPML) detection," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 110-117, Jan. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.663468
- J. G. Kenny, L. R. Carley and R. W. Wood, "Multi-level decision feedback equalization for saturation recording," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 2160-2171, July 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.221040
- J. W. M. Bergmans, J. O. Voorman and H. W. Wong-Lam, "Dual decision feedback equalizer," IEEE Trans. Comm., vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 514-518, May 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.592548