- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Coffee on Physical Performance in Mice
- Lee, Yeon-Mi (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Tack (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Bae, Hye-Min (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Sang-Yoon (Korea Food Research Institute)
- 투고 : 2011.08.02
- 심사 : 2011.09.09
- 발행 : 2011.09.30
In this study, coffee was shown to effectively inhibit L6 muscle cell death and ATP reduction induced by hydrogen peroxide damage. Additionally, two weeks of oral administration of 7 mg/kg coffee extracts to mice resulted in a 33% increase in treadmill running time relative to that seen in the distilled water administered group. Blood analysis showed decreased lactate content, which was increased by exercise. Thus, these data suggest that coffee intake may enhance exercise capacity and inhibit damage due to excessive exercise.
- Kim HK, Hwang SY, Yoon SB, Chun DS, Kong SK, Kang KO. 2007. A study of the characteristics of different coffee beans by roasting and extracting condition. Korean J Food & Nutr 20: 14-19.
- Kim KJ, Park SK. 2006. Changes in major chemical constituents of green coffee beans during the roasting. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 153-158.
- Kim JY, Han YS. 2009. Influence of roasting time on antibacterial and antioxidative effects of coffee extracts. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 496-505.
- Hu G, Bidel S, Jousilahti P, Antikainen R, Tuomilehto J. 2007. Coffee and tea consumption and the risk of parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 22: 2242-2248. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.21706
- Eskelinen MK, Ngandu T, Tuomilehto J, Soininen H, Kiviprlto M. 2009. Midlife coffee and tea drinking and the risk of late-life dementia: a population-based CAIDE study. J Alzheimer's Dis 16: 85-91. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-2009-0920
- Park JY, Kim JY, Lee SP, Lee JH. 2010. The effect of green coffee bean extract supplementation on body fat reduction in overweight/obese women. Korean J Nutr 43: 374-381. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.4.374
- Choi EY, Jang JY, Cho YO. 2010. Coffee intake can promote activity of antioxidant enzymes with increasing MDA level and decreasing HDL-cholesterol in physically trained rats. Nutr Res Pract 4: 283-289. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2010.4.4.283
- Graham TE. 2001. Caffeine and exercise: metabolism, endurance and performance. Sports Med 31: 785-807. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200131110-00002
- Paluska SA. 2003. Caffeine and exercise. Curr Sports Med Rep 2: 213-219. https://doi.org/10.1249/00149619-200308000-00008
- Astorino TA, Terzi MN, Roberson DW, Burnett TR. 2011. Effect of caffeine intake on pain perception during highintensity exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 21: 27-32. https://doi.org/10.1123/ijsnem.21.1.27
- Louise MB. 2008. Caffeine and sports performance. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 33: 1319-1334. https://doi.org/10.1139/H08-130
- Bassuk SS, Manson JE. 2005. Epidermiological evidence for the role of physical activity in reducing risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. J Appl Physiol 99: 1193-1204. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00160.2005
- Roberts CK, Barnard RJ. 2005. Effects of exercise and diet on chronic disease. J Physiol 536: 329-337.
- Hyun KY. 2009. An association of changed levels of inflammatory markers with hematological factors during one-time aerobic exercise in twenty-aged young men. J Life Sci 19: 1658-1665. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.11.1658
- Ji LL. 1996. Excercise, oxidative stress, and antioxidants. American J Sports Med 42: 20-24.
- Kim HY, Lee YJ, Hong KH, Lee CW, Kim KS, Ha SC. 1999. Development of analysis method of caffeine and content survey in commercial foods by HPLC. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 1471-1476.
- Demura S, Yamada T, Terasawa N. 2007. Effect of coffee ingestion on physiological responses and ratings of perceived exertion during submaximal endurance exercise. Percept Mot Skills 105: 1109-1116. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.105.4.1109-1116
- Wiles JD, Bird SR, Hopkins J, Riley M. 1992. Effect of caffeinated coffee on running speed, respiratory factors, blood lactate and perceived exertion during 1500-m treadmill running. Br J Sports Med 26: 116-120. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.26.2.116
- Goldstein ER, Ziegenfuss T, Kalman D, Kreider R, Campbell B, Wilborn C, Taylor L, Willoughby D, Stout J, Graves BS, Wildman R, Ivy JL, Spano M, Smith AE, Antonio J. 2010. International society of sports nutrition position stand: caffeine and performance. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 7: 5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-7-5