- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Hypoglycemic Effects of Germinated Rough Rice Extract in Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Rats
- Lee, Youn-Ri (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daejeon Health Science College) ;
- Hwang, In-Guk (Department of Agrofood Resources, NAAS) ;
- Woo, Koan-Sik (Department of Functional Crop, NICC) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Young (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Park, Dong-Sik (Department of Agrofood Resources, NAAS) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hyun (Department of Agrofood Resources, NAAS) ;
- Kim, Yun-Bae (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Jun-Soo (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Heon-Sang (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2011.05.27
- Accepted : 2011.09.07
- Published : 2011.09.30
The hypoglycemic effects of germinated rough rice extract in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats were investigated. Weight gain was significantly lower in the diabetic groups than in the normal control (NC); however, they were higher in the 1% and 3% diabetic groups given germinated Goami2 rough rice extract (DM-3%GGRRE) than in the diabetic control (DC). While food intake in all diabetic groups was significantly higher than that of the NC, there was no significant difference among all diabetic groups. The weight percentages of liver and kidney in all diabetic groups were significantly higher than that of the NC. In terms of blood glucose, the diabetic group showed about a three times larger value than the normal group. Moreover, in the 3% germinated rough rice extract group, the blood glucose level became lowered. The levels of alanine transaminase, aspartate transaminase, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine phosphokinsae, and creatinine increased in general with the induction of diabetes using STZ; however, the 3% GGRRE-treated group displayed a significant decrease in these levels compared to the diabetic group. The results show that the 3% GGRRE, rather than the 1% GGRRE, was considerably more effective at reducing blood glucose and improving impaired glucose tolerance, suggesting the germinated rice extracts may play a role in preventing liver and kidney damage.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Corry DB, Tuck ML. 2000. Protection from vascular risk in diabetic hypertension. Curr Hypertens Rep 2: 154-159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11906-000-0075-2
- Amos AF, McCarty DC, Zimmet P. 1997. The rising global burden of diabetes and its complications: estimates and projections by 2010. Diabet Med 14: S5-S85.
- Anurag K, Richa S, Kanwaljit C. 2008. Lycopene attenuates diabetes-associated cognitive decline in rats. Life Sci 83: 128-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2008.05.013
- Saunders RM. 1990. The properties of rice bran as a food stuff. Cereal Food World 35: 632-636.
- Yang F, Basu TK, Ooraikul B. 2001. Studies on germination and antioxidant contents of wheat grain. J Food Sci Nutr 52: 319-330. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480120057567
- Rimsten L, Haraldsson AK, Andersson R, Alminger M, Sandberg AS, Aman P. 2003. Effects of malting on beta- glucanase and phytase activity in barley grain. J Sci Food Agric 82: 904-912.
- Yuan HL, Yeh CS. 2003. Extrusion processing of ricebased breakfast cereals enhanced with tocopherol from a Chinese medical plant. Cereal Chem 80: 491-494. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2003.80.4.491
- Mikola M, Brinck O, Jones BL. 2001. Characterization of oat endoproteinases that hydrolyze oat avenins. Cereal Chem 78: 55-58. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2001.78.1.55
- Subba R, Muralikrishna G. 2002. Evaluation of the antioxidant properties of free and bound phenolic acids from native and malted finger millet. J Sci Food Agric 50: 889- 892. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf011210d
- Heinio RL, Oksman KM, Latva K, Lehtinen P, Poutanen K. 2001. Effects of drying treatment conditions on sensory profile of germinated oat. Cereal Chem 78: 707-714. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2001.78.6.707
- Beal AD, Mottram DS. 1993. An evaluation of the aroma characteristics of malted barley by free-choice profiling. J Sci Food Agric 61: 17-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740610104
Xu Z, Hua N, Godber JS. 2001. Antioxidant activity of tocopherols, tocotrienols, and
$\gamma$-oryzanol components from rice bran against cholesterol oxidation accelerated by 2,2′- azobis(2-methylpropionamidine) dihydrochloride. J Agric Food Chem 49: 2077-2081. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0012852
- Murata T, Akazawa T, Fukuchi S. 1968. Enzymatic mechanism of starch breakdown in germinating rice seeds. Plant Physiol 43: 1899-1905. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.43.12.1899
- Yasumatsu K, Moritaka S. 1964. Fatty acid compositions of rice lipid and their change during storage. Agric Biol Chem 28: 257-264. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.28.257
- Park KJ, Jin HS, Park SH, Kim EH, Kim JK. 2008. Antihyperglycemia effect of medicinal plants mixture in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1544-1559. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.12.1554
- Swanston-Flatt SK, Day C, Flatt PR, Gould BT, Bailey CJ. 1989. Glycemic effects of traditional European plant treatments for diabetes: studies in normal and streptozotocin diabetic mice. Diabetes Res 10: 69-73.
- Pushparaj PN, Tan BKH, Tan CH. 2001. The mechanism of hypoglycemic action of the semi-purified fractions of Averrhoa bilimbi in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Life Sci 70: 535-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(01)01423-0
- Lee SI, Kim JS, Oh SH, Park KY, Lee HG, Kim SD. 2008. Antihyperglycemic effect of Fomitopsis pinicola extracts in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Med Food 11: 518-524. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2007.0155
- Iyorra MD, Paya H. 1988. Hypoglycemic and insulin release effects of tormentic acid: a new hypoglycemic natural product. Planta Med 55: 282-286.
- Steer KA, Sochor M, Mclean P. 1985. Renal hypertrophy in experimental diabetes change in pentose phosphate pathway activity. Diabetes 34: 485-490. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.34.5.485
- Dai S, Thompson K, McNeill JH. 1994. One-year treatment of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with vanadyl sulphate. Pharmacol Toxicol 74: 99-107.
- Lee IS, Lee SG, Lee IZ. 2003. Effects of tissue cultured ginseng on blood glucose and lipids in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 280- 285.
- Cho YJ, Hou WN. 2005. Effects of dietary Bong-ip (Morus alba L.), Gam-chei (Glycyeehizae glabra), Sol-ip (pinus densiflora) and Dang-gi (Angelica gigas) on serum composition in rats. Korean J Food Culture 20: 123-129.
- Park MY, Kim E, Kim MS, Kim KK, Kim HA. 2009. Dietary supplementation of sea tangle improves blood glucose and lipid metabolism in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Food Sci Biotechnol 18: 712-716.
- Jermendy G. 2005. Can type 2 diabetes mellitus be considered preventable? Diabetes Res Clin Prac 68: S73-S81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2005.03.010
- Anti-diabetic Activity of Germinated Ilpum Rough Rice Extract Supplement in Mice vol.41, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.3.339