- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Partitioning Behavior of Selected Printing Ink Solvents between Headspace and Chocolate Cookie Samples
- An, Duek-Jun (Department of Food Science, SunMoon University)
- Received : 2011.08.11
- Accepted : 2011.09.14
- Published : 2011.09.30
Static Headspace Gas Chromatographic analysis was used to study the partitioning behavior of five organic printing ink solvents between chocolate cookie/air systems. Three cookie sample formulations varied with respect to chocolate type and overall percentage of constituents. Major considerations involved differences in fat content and type and resulting variability in chemical and physical structure. Each of the solvents studied (ethyl acetate, hexane, isopropanol, methyl ethyl ketone, toluene) represents a general class of printing ink solvents based on predominate functional group. Values of the partitioning coefficient (Kp) were determined at equilibrium using measured quantities of both solvent and cookie sample in closed systems at temperature of 25, 35, and
- Gilbert SG. 1976. Migration of minor constituents from food packaging materials. J Food Sci 41: 955-958.
- Halek GW, Levinson JJ. 1989. Partitioning and absolute flavor threshold interaction of aliphatic and aromatic food packaging solvents in high fat cookies. J Food Sci 54: 173-176. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb08595.x
- Vivek G, John DF. 1997. Migration and sorption phenomena in packaged foods. Crtit Rev Food Sci Nutr 37: 519-559. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399709527788
- Charara ZN, Williams JW, Schmidtt RH, Marshall MR. 1992. Orange flavor absorption into various polymeric packaging materials. J Food Sci 57: 963-966. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb14334.x
- Konczal JB, Harte BR, Hoojjat P, Giacin JR. 1992. Apple juice flavor compounds sorption by seleant films. J Food Sci 57: 967-970. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb14335.x
- Halek GW, Levinson JJ. 1988. Partitioning behavior and off-flavor thresholds in cookies from plastic packaging film printing ink compounds. J Food Sci 53: 1806-1808. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1988.tb07847.x
- Kim HK. 1990. Volatiles in packaging materials. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 29: 255-271. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399009527527
- An DJ. 2009. Determination and prediction of partition coefficient value (Kp) for printing ink solvents on cookie from Kp of each cookie ingredient. J Food Sci 14: 246-251.
- Halek GW, Chan A. 1994. Partitioning and absolute flavor threshold interactions of aliphatic food packaging solvents homologs in high-fat cookies. J Food Sci 59: 420-423. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1994.tb06981.x
- Paquot C, Hautfenne A. 1987. Preparation of the fatty acid methyl esters. In Standard Methods for the Analysis of Oils Fats and Derivatives. 7th ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Cambridge, MA, USA. p 123.
- AOAC. 1980. Official methods of analysis. 14th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 211.
- An DJ. 2004. Compositional and Structural effects on migration behavior of printing ink solvents on lab-made cookies. Food Sci Biotechnol 13: 707-711.
- Biran D, Giacin JR, Hayakawa K, Gilbert SG. 1979. Sorption of vinylchloride by selected food constituents. J Food Sci 44: 59-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb10003.x
- Barton AFM. 1991. Homologous series and homomorphs. In Handbook of Solubility Parameters and Other Cohesion. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p 61.
- Hildebrand J, Prausnitz J, and Scott R. 1970. Regualr and related solutions. Van Nostrand Reinhold Publ. Co., New York, NY, USA. p 631.