- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Quality Characteristics of Commercial Gwamegi by Product Types
- Kang, Hui-Seung (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Jeong, Seung-Weon (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Ko, Jong-Cheul (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Jang, Mi (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jong-Chan (Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.06.21
- Accepted : 2011.07.12
- Published : 2011.09.30
This study was performed to investigate the physical, chemical and microbial characteristics of Gwamegi to provide basic data for the standardization of marine processed foods and for the improvement of the quality of commercial Gwamegi. The acid values of commercial Gwamegi were 5.8, 5.3 and 5.2 mg KOH/g for fillet type (F-type), "two divide" type (T-type) and whole type (W-type), respectively, and the peroxide values were 51.6, 51.5 and 53.2 meq/kg for each. There was a positive correlation between the acid value and the peroxide value (r=0.555) at confidence intervals (CI) of 99%. Trimethylamine (TMA) content of F-type, T-type and W-type products were 2.9, 2.6 and 3.6 mg%, respectively, while volatile basic nitrogen (VBN) contents were 22.4, 21.5 and 21.8 mg%. There was a strong positive correlation between TMA and VBN (r=0.961) at a CI of 99%. The histamine content was detected to be as much as 122 mg/kg, with about 36 % of the samples exceeding the CODEX criteria for histamine of 100 mg/kg. The total microbial count of 4 products exceeded 5 Log CFU/g and coliform group of 11 products exceeded the criteria of less than 1 Log CFU/g. Staphylococcus aureus in 27% of the samples exceeded the criteria of less than 2 Log CFU/g.
- Jang MS, Park HY, Byun HS, Park JI, Kim YK, Yonn NY, Nam CS. 2010. The nutrient composition of commercial kwamegi admixed with functional ingredients. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 519-525.
- Yoon MS, Heu MS, Kim JS. 2010. Fatty acid composition, total amino acid and mineral contents of commercial kwamegi. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 43: 100-108. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2010.43.2.100
- Oh SH, Kim DJ, Choi KH. 1998. Changes in compositions of pacific saury (Cololabis seira) flesh during drying for production of kwamaegi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 386-392.
- Cho SH, Kwon EH, Oh SH, Woo MH. 2009. Suppressive effects of the extract of Zanthoxylum schinifolium and essential oil from Zanthoxylum piperitum on pacific saury, Coloabis saira Kwamegi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1753-1759. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1753
- Kim DK, Kim JW, Oh SH, Lee SI, Kim MJ, Kim SD. 2009. The effect of chitosan-ascorbate treated kwamaegi on serum lipid profiles and ROS-related enzyme activities in rats. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 19: 987-995.
- Lee HJ. 2005. Effect of storage materials, types, temperatures, and durations on the component changes of pacific saury, Cololabis saira kwamaegi. PhD Dissertation. University of Daegu, Daegu, Korea.
- Oh SH, Kim DJ. 1998. Change of nucleotides, free amino acids in kwamaegi flesh by different drying for pacific saury, Cololabis saira. Korean J Food & Nutr 11: 249-255.
- Lee HJ, Oh SH, Choi KH. 2008. Studies on the general composition, rheometric and microbiological change of pacific saury, Coloabis saira kwamaegi on the storage temperatures and durations. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 165-175.
- Lee HJ, Oh SH, Jeong JS, Choi KH. 2008. Studies on the rancidity of pacific saury, Cololabis saira kwamaegi on the storage temperatures and durations. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 477-484.
- Kim YS, Oh SH, Kim SD. 2009. Antibacterial effects of chitosanon-ascorbate treated kwamaegi prepared on microorganism contamination. KSBB Journal 24: 156-162.
- Yoon MS, Kim HJ, Park KH, Shin JH, Jung IK, Heu MS, Kim JS. 2009. Biogenic amine content and hygienic quality characterization of commercial kwamegi. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 42: 403-410. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2009.42.5.403
- Kim MW, Kim YM. 2005. Isolation and identification of histamine degrading bacteria from kwamegi. Journal of Life Science 16: 120-125. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2006.16.1.120
- AOAC. 2005. Official methods of analysis. 18th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. 927.05; 976.06; 954.02; 942.05.
- Folch JM, Lees M, Sloane Stanley GH. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 26: 497-509.
- AOCS. 1989. Official and recommended practices of the American Oil Chemists' Society. 4th ed. AOCS Champaign, Chicago, IL, USA. Cd, 3a63; Cd, 853.
- KFDA. 2002. Food Code. Korea Food and Drug Administration, Seoul, Korea. p 222-223.
- Murray CK, Gibson DM. 1972. An investigation of the method of determining trimethylamine of fish muscle extracts by the formation of its picrate salt-part I. J Food Technol 7: 35-46.
- Oh SH, Kim DJ. 1995. The change in content of constitutive lipid and fatty acid of pacific saury during natural freezing dry (kwa mae kee). Korean J Food & Nutr 8: 239-252.
- Kim DJ, Lee JW, Cho KH, Yook HS, Byun MY. 2000. Quality properties of gamma irradiated kwamegi (semidried Cololabis seira). Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 1128-1134.
- Gwak HJ, Eun JB. 2010. Chemical changes of low salt gulbi (salted and dried yellow corvena) during hot-air drying with different temperatures. Korean J Food Sci Technol 42: 147-154.
- Lee EH, Oh KS, Ahn CB, Lee TH, Chung YH. 1987. Processing conditions and quality stability of seasoned sardine chopped-meat during frozen storage. J Korean Fish Soc 20: 191-201.
- Cho KH, Lee JW, Kim JH, Ryu GH, Yook HS, Byun MW. 2000. Improvement of the hygienic quality and shelf-life of kwamegi from Cololabis seira by gamma irradiation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 1102-1106.
- Walls I, Scatt VN. 1997. Use of predictive microbiology in microbial food safety risk assessment. Int J Food Microbiol 36: 97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(97)01260-9
- Shelf life of Bottled Sea Squirt Halocynthia roretzi Meat Packed in Vegetable Oil (BSMO) vol.17, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/FAS.2014.0037
- Predictive modeling of Staphylococcus aureus growth on Gwamegi (semidry Pacific saury) as a function of temperature vol.56, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-013-3122-9
- Herring Oil and Omega Fatty Acids Inhibit Staphylococcus aureus Biofilm Formation and Virulence vol.9, pp.1664-302X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.01241