- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Attenuation of Brain Injury by Water Extract of Goat's-beard (Aruncus dioicus) and Its Ethyl Acetate Fraction in a Rat Model of Ischemia-Reperfusion
- Han, Hyung-Soo (Department of Physiology, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Jong-Won (Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Daegu)
- Received : 2011.06.10
- Accepted : 2011.07.26
- Published : 2011.09.30
Ischemic stroke constitutes about 80% of all stroke incidences. It is characterized by brain cell death in a region where cerebral arteries supplying blood are occluded. Under these ischemic conditions, apoptosis is responsible for the cell death, at least in part. Goat's-beard (Aruncus dioicus var. kamtschaticus) is a perennial plant that grows naturally in the alpine regions of Korea. In the present study, we first determined whether water extract of goat's-beard (HY1646) and some of its fractions prepared by partitioning with organic solvents could improve the viability of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells (HepG2) cultured under hypoxic condition by blocking apoptotic pathways. Based on the in vitro findings, we subsequently investigated whether HY1646 and the ethyl acetate fraction (EA) selected from cell culture-based screening could attenuate brain injury in a rat middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAO) model of ischemia (2 hr), followed by 22 hours of reperfusion. The cell number was sustained close to that initially plated in the presence of HY1646 even after 24 hr of cell culture under hypoxic condition (3%
- Adibhatla RM, Hatcher JF. 2008. Tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) and matrix metalloproteinases in the pathogenesis of stroke: therapeutic strategies. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 7: 243-253. https://doi.org/10.2174/187152708784936608
- Saver JL. 2008. Proposal for a universal definition of cerebral infarction. Stroke 39: 3110-3115. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.518415
- Vosier PS, Graham SH, Wechsler LR, Chen J. 2009. Mitochondrial targets for stroke. Focusing basic science research toward development of clinically translatable therapeutics. Stroke 40: 3149-3155. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.543769
- Deb P, Sharma S, Hassan KM. 2010. Pathophysiologic mechanisms of acute ischemic stroke: an overview with emphasis on therapeutic significance beyond thrombolysis. Pathophysiol 17: 197-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pathophys.2009.12.001
- Goldstein LB. 2007. Acute ischemic stroke treatment in 2007. Circulation 116: 1504-1514. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.670885
- Wardlaw JM, Murray V, Berge E, del Zoppo GJ. 2009. Thrombolysis for acute ischaemic stroke. Cochrane Database Sys Rev: CD000213.
- Gutierrez M, Merino JJ, de Lecinana MA, Diez-Tejedor E. 2009. Cerebral protection, brain repair, plasticity and cell therapy in ischemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 27: 177- 186. https://doi.org/10.1159/000200457
- Dirnagl U, Simon RP, Hallenbeck JM. 2003. Ischemic tolerance and endogenous neuroprotection. Trends Neurosci 26: 248-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-2236(03)00071-7
- Ferrer I. 2006. Apoptosis: future targets for neuroprotective strategies. Cerebrovasc Dis 21: 9-20. https://doi.org/10.1159/000091699
- Yuan J. 2009. Neuroprotective strategies targeting apoptotic and necrotic cell death for stroke. Apoptosis 14: 469-477. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10495-008-0304-8
- Kim KH, Lee JW. 2010. Methanol extract of Cassia mimosoides var. nomame and its ethyl acetate fraction attenuate brain damage by inhibition of apoptosis in a rat model of ischemia-reperfusion. J Food Sci Nutr 15: 255-261. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2010.15.4.255
- Lee SY, Kim WG, Hong SK, Lee YK. 2009. Occurrence of goat's-beard powdery mildew caused by Podosphaera ferruginea in Korea. Plant Pathol J 25: 299-301. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2009.25.3.299
- Shin JW, Lee SI, Woo MH, Kim SD. 2008. Effect of ethanol extracts of goat's beard on streptozotocin induced diabetic symptoms and oxidative stress in rats. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18: 939-948.
- Lee SO, Lee HJ, Yu MH, Im HG, Lee IS. 2005. Total polyphenol contents and antioxidant activities of methanol extracts from vegetables produced in Ullung island. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 233-240.
- Lim SH, Lee JY, Park SH, Kim YH, Suh HS, Park JB, Lee JW. 2009. Effect of combination of anticancer agents and nitroimidazoles on the survival of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells under hypoxic conditions. J Korean Surg Soc 76: 337-347. https://doi.org/10.4174/jkss.2009.76.6.337
- Baek JH, Jang JE, Kang CM, Chung HY, Kim ND, Kim KW. 2000. Hypoxia-induced VEGF enhances tumor survivability via suppression of serum deprivation-induced apoptosis. Oncogene 19: 4621-4631. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1203814
- Liu H, Qin CY, Han GQ, Xu HW, Meng M, Yang Z. 2007. Mechanism of apoptotic effects induced selectively by ursodeoxycholic acid on human hepatoma cell lines. World J Gastroenterol 13: 1652-1658. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v13.i11.1652
- Han HS, Choi JS, Kim YJ, Lim SH, Lee HK, Jang JH, Moon YS, Lee JW. 2008. Protective effect of Triticum aestivum L. extract and its components, starch, in rat focal cerebral ischemia. Curr Topics Nutrceut Res 6: 47-54.
- Han HS, Qiao Y, Karabiyikoglu M, Giffard RG, Yenari MA. 2002. Influence of mild hypothermia on inducible nitric oxide synthase expression and reactive nitrogen production in experimental stroke and inflammation. J Neurosci 22: 3921-3928.
- Lee YT, Han MJ, Lim SH, Park SH, Suh HS, Park JB, Kim YI, Lee JW. 2006. Effect of antibiotics on the survival of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells under hypoxic conditions. J Korean Surg Soc 71: 31-38.
- Bae SK, Baek JH, Lee YM, Lee OH, Kim KW. 1998. Hypoxia-induced apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells: a possible involvement of the 6-TG-sensitive protein kinase(s)-dependent signaling pathway. Cancer Lett 126: 97-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00538-7
- Kwon JW, Park JH, Kwon KS, Kim DS, Jeong JB, Lee HK, Sim YE, Kim MS, Youn JY, Chung YG, Jeong HJ. 2006. Effect of shading practices on the chemical compounds and antioxidant in Aruncus dioicus. Korean J Plant Res 19: 1-7.
- Padosch SA, Bottiger BW. 2003. Neuronal apoptosis following cerebral ischaemia: pathophysiology and possible therapeutic implications. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 16: 439- 445. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001503-200310000-00001
- Friedlander RM. 2003. Apoptosis and caspases in neurodegenerative diseases. N Engl J Med 348: 1365-1375. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra022366
- Rami A, Bechmann I, Stehle JH. 2008. Exploiting endogenous anti-apoptotic proteins for novel therapeutic strategies in cerebral ischemia. Prog Neurolbiol 85: 273-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pneurobio.2008.04.003
- Chan PH. 2004. Mitochondrial and neuronal death/survival signaling pathways in cerebral ischemia. Neurochem Res 29: 1943-1949. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11064-004-6869-x
- Loh KP, Huang SH, De Silva R, Tan BK, Zhu YZ. 2006. Oxidative stress: apoptosis in neuronal injury. Curr Alzheimer Res 3: 327-337. https://doi.org/10.2174/156720506778249515
- Lakhan SE, Kirchgessner A, Hofer M. 2009. Inflammatory mechanisms in ischemic stroke: therapeutic approaches. J Trans Med 7: 97. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-7-97
- Cherubini A, Ruggiero C, Morand C, Latanzio F, Dell' Aquila G, Zuliani G, Di Iorio A, Andres-Lacueva C. 2008. Dietary antioxidants as potential pharmacological agents for ischemic stroke. Curr Med Chem 15: 1236-1248. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986708784310431
- Monograph. 2008. Citicoline. Altern Med Rev 13: 50-57.
- Minnerup J, Schabitz WR. 2009. Multifunctional actions of approved and candidate stroke drugs. Neurotherapeutics 6: 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurt.2008.10.032
- Kim SK, Lee SC, Lee SP, Choi BS. 1998. Effects of planting date and fertilization amounts on growth and yield of Aruncus dioicus var. kamtscacus HARA. Korean J Plant Res 11: 142-145.
- Chung HS, Choi MG, Moon KD. 2010. Maintaining quality of wild vegetables (Aster glehni and Aruncus dioicus var. kamtschaticus) from Ulleungdo (island), Korea by modified atmosphere packaging. Food Sci Biotechnol 19: 193-199. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0026-x
- Choi MG, Chung HS, Moon KD. 2008. Chemical components of Solidago virgaurea spp. gigantean, Aster glehni var. hondoensis and Aruncus dioicus var. kamtschaticus grown on Ulleung island, Korea. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 576-581.
- DNA Damage Protection and Anti-inflammatory Activity of Different Solvent Fractions from Aruncus dioicus var. kamtschaticus vol.27, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2014.27.6.714
- Plant-based foods containing cell wall polysaccharides rich in specific active monosaccharides protect against myocardial injury in rat myocardial infarction models vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep38728
- Methanol Extract of Goat's-beard (Aruncus dioicus) Reduces Renal Injury by Inhibiting Apoptosis in a Rat Model of Ischemia-Reperfusion vol.17, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2012.17.2.101
- Identification of active compounds from Aurantii Immatri Pericarpium attenuating brain injury in a rat model of ischemia–reperfusion vol.138, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.09.137