- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Portulaca oleracea Powder on the Lipid Levels of Rats Fed a Hypercholesterolemia Inducing Diet
- Lee, Soo-Jung (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Shin, Jung-Hye (Namhae Garlic Research Institute) ;
- Kang, Min-Jung (Namhae Garlic Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Mi-Ju (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Sung-Hee (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Sung, Nak-Ju (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2011.05.31
- Accepted : 2011.08.24
- Published : 2011.09.30
This study was initiated to investigate the effects of lyophilized purslane (Portulaca oleracea) powder (5% and 10%) on lipid levels in rats fed a hypercholesterolemia-inducing diet (1% cholesterol). During the four week study, there were no significant differences in either weight change or the food efficiency ratio between the group fed the hypercholesterol diet alone (HC) and the groups fed the purslane powder (HCPO-I and HCPO-II, 5% and 10% purslane, respectively). In serum, the levels of total lipid, total cholesterol and LDL-C decreased significantly for the group fed the 10% purslane powder (HCPO-II) in comparison with the group fed the 5% purslane powder (HCPO-I). The atherogenic index (AI) was reduced by about 51% for the group fed the 10% purslane powder (1.47) in comparison with the HC group (3.03). The activities of GOT, GPT, ALP and LDH decreased significantly for the groups fed the purslane powder in comparison with the HC group. Regarding liver tissue, the levels of total lipid, total cholesterol and triglyceride decreased significantly for the purslane powder-fed rats compared to the HC group. The fecal lipid profiles increased significantly as the amount of purslane powder was increased. Compared to the HC group, the fecal total cholesterol and triglyceride levels were higher in the group fed the 10% purslane powder by about 2.8 times and 2.3 times, respectively. For the serum and liver tissue, the content of lipid peroxide decreased significantly in the groups fed purslane powder compared to the HC group. The data from this experiment show an increase in the lipid levels discharged in feces, suggesting that the supplementation of purslane powder to a hypercholesterolemia-inducing diet reduces lipid levels.
- KNSO. 2007. Annual report on the cause of death statistics. Korea National Statistical Office, Seoul, Korea. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr.
- Alordmann R, Riberre C, Rouah H. 1990. Ethanol induced lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress in extrahepatic tissues. Alcohol 25: 231-237.
- Lee JJ, Choo MH, Lee MY. 2006. Effect of Pimpinella brachycarpa extract on lipid metabolism in rats fed high cholesterol diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 1151- 1158. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.9.1151
- Kim YH, Lee JH, Koo BK, Lee HS. 2007. Isoflavone-rich bean sprouts improves hyperlipidemia. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 1248-1256. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.10.1248
- Rhee SJ, Ahn JM, Ku KH, Choi JH. 2005. Effects of radish leaves powder on hepatic antioxidative system in rats fed high-cholesterol diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 1157-1163. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.8.1157
- Rashed AN, Afifi FU, Disi AM. 2003. Simple evaluation of the wound healing activity of a crude extract of Portulaca oleracea L. (growing in Jordan) in Mus musculus JVI-1. J Ethnopharmacol 88: 131-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(03)00194-6
- Yazici I, Turkan I, Sekmen AH, Demiral T. 2007. Salinity tolerance of purslane (Portulaca oleracea L.) is achieved by enhanced antioxidative system, lower level of lipid peroxidation and proline accumulation. Env Exp Bot 61: 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2007.02.010
- Lim YY, Quah EPL. 2007. Antioxidant properties of different cultivars of Portulaca oleracea. Food Chem 103: 734-740. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.09.025
- Xu X, Yu L, Chen G. 2006. Determination of flavonoids in Portulaca oleracea L. by capillary electrophoresis with electrochemical detection. J Pharm Biomed Anal 41: 493- 499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2006.01.013
- Simopoulos AP, Salem N. 1986. Purslane: a terrestrial source of omega-three fatty acids. N Engl J Med 315: 833.
- Simopoulos AP, Norman HA, Gillaspy JE. 1995. Purslane in human nutrition and its potential for world agriculture. World Rev Nutr Diet 77: 47-74.
- Oliveira I, Valentao P, Lopes R, Andrade PB, Bento A, Pereira JA. 2009. Phytochemical characterization and radical scavenging activity of Portulaca oleracea L. leaves and stems. Microchem J 92: 129-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2009.02.006
- Kim RJ, Kim MJ, Kang JR, Lee SJ, Sung NJ. Antioxidant and anti-diabetic activities of Portulaca oleracea L. Abstract No. 8P-70 presented at 2010 International Symposium and Annual Meeting. Daegu, Korea.
- Harnafi H, Aziz M, Amrani S. 2009. Sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) improves lipid metabolism in hypercholesterolemic rats. e-SPEN 4: e181-e186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclnm.2009.05.011
- Shin MK, Kim DH, Han SH. 2003. Effects of dried tea leaf powder of serum on lipid concentrations in rats fed high fat. Korean J Food Culture 18: 226-234.
- Won HR, Kim SH. 2011. Antihyperlipidemic effect of diet containing Portulaca oleracea L. ethanol extract in high fat diet-induced obese mice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 538-543. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.4.538
- Kim SH, Won HR. 2010. Effect of Portulaca oleracea Linne ethanol extract on lipid metabolism in rats fed high fat diet. Journal of Life and Natural Science 17: 51-60.
- Kwon DK, Song YJ. 2010. Effect of swimming exercise and Portulucaceae supplementation on metabolic parameters and immune function in fed a high-fat diet. The Korean Journal of Exercise Nutrition 14: 23-29.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA. p 36.
- Frings CS, Fendley TW, Dunn RT, Queen CA. 1972. Improved determination of total serum lipids by the sulfo- phospho-vanillin reaction. Clin Chem 18: 763-764.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. 1972. Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18: 499-502.
- Haglund O, Loustarinen R, Wallin R, Wibell I, Saldeen T. 1991. The effects of fish oil on triglycerides, cholesterol, fibrinogen and malondialdehyde in humans supplemented with vitamin E. J Nutr 121: 165-169. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.2.165
- Kang SM, Shim JY, Hwang SJ, Hong SG, Jang HE, Park MH. 2003. Effects of Saengshik supplementation on health improvement in diet-induced hypercholesterolemic rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 906-912. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.6.906
- Folch J, Lees M, Stanley GH. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226: 497-502.
- Yagi K. 1984. Assay for blood plasma or serum. In Method in Enzymology. Packer L, ed. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA. Vol 105, p 328-331.
- Uchiyama M, Mihara M. 1978. Determination of malondialdehyde precursor in tissues by TBA test. Anal Biochem 86: 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(78)90342-1
- Hwang JB, Yang MO, Shin HK. 1997. Survey for approximate composition and mineral content of medicinal herbs. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 671-679.
- Kim DC, Lee SD, In MJ. 2007. Preparation of purslane tea and its quality characteristics. J Korean Soc Apple Biol Chem 50: 375-376.
- Mohamed AI, Hussein AS. 1994. Chemical composition of purslane (Portulaca oleracea). Plant Food Hum Nutr 45: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01091224
- Kritchevsky D, Story JA. 1974. Binding of bile salts in vitro by nonnutritive fiber. J Nutr 104: 458-462. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/104.4.458
- Kim AJ, Kim SY, Choi MK, Kim MH, Han MR, Chung KS. 2005. Effects of mulberry leaves powder on lipid metabolism in high cholesterol-fed rats. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 636-641.
- Torsdottir I, Alpsten M, Holm G, Sandberg AS, Tolli J. 1991. A small dose of soluble alginate-fiber affects postgrandial glycemia and gastric emptying in humans with diabetes. J Nutr 121: 795-799. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.6.795
Park BS. 2002. Effect of dietary
$\gamma$-linolenic acid on plasma lipid metabolism in rats. J Korean Oil Chemists' Soc 19: 181-188.
- National Cholesterol Education Program Expert Panel. 2002. Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III) final report. Circulation 106: 3143- 3421.
- Kim AR, Lee JJ, Lee YM, Jung HO, Lee MY. 2010. Cholesterol-lowering and anti-obesity effects of Polymnia sonchifolia Poepp. & Endl. powder in rats fed a high fat-high cholesterol diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 210-218. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.210
- Kim KH. 1980. The clinical application of the result of the test. Ko Moon Sa, Seoul, Korea. p 164-176.
- Igarashi K, Ohmuma M. 1995. Effect of isorhamnetin, rhamnetin and quercetin on the concentration of cholesterol and lipoperoxide in the serum and liver and on the blood and liver antioxidative enzyme activities of rats. Biosci Biotech Biochem 59: 595-598. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.59.595
- Yoon HJ, Park YS. 2010. Effects of Scutellaria baicalensis water extract on lipid metabolism and antioxidant defense system in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 219-226. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.219
- Lee JJ, Shin HD, Lee YM, Kim AR, Lee MY. 2009. Effect of broccoli sprouts on cholesterol-lowering and anti-obesity effects in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 309-318. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.309
- Jang HS, Ahn JM, Ku KH, Rhee SJ, Kang SK, Choi JH. 2008. Effect of radish leaves powder on the gastrointestinal function and fecal triglyceride, and sterol excretion in rats fed a hypercholesterolemic diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1258-1263. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.10.1258
- Seo HJ, Kim SJ, Do GM, Choi MS. 2006. Quercetin supplement is beneficial for altering lipid metabolism and antioxidant enzyme activities in the middle of ethanol feeding in rats. Nutr Sci 9: 259-266.
- Bok SH, Park SY, Pak YB, Lee MK, Jeon SM, Jeong TS, Choi MS. 2002. Quercetin dihydrate and gallate supplements lower plasma and hepatic lipids and change activities of hepatic antioxidant enzymes in high cholesterol- fed rats. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 72: 161-169. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-98184.108.40.206
- Kwon TD, Choi SW, Lee SJ, Chung KW, Lee SC. 2001. Effects of polyphenol or vitamin C ingestion on antioxidative activity during exercise in rats. Korean J Physical Education 3: 891-899.
- Kim ES, Kim MK. 1999. Effect of dried leaf powders and ethanol extracts of persimmon, green tea and pine needle on lipid metabolism and antioxidative capacity in rats. Korean J Nutr 32: 337-352.
- Lee HJ, Lee BJ, Lee DS, Seo Y. 2003. DPPH radical scavenging effect and in vitro lipid peroxidation inhibition by Portulaca oleracea. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 18: 165- 169.
- Simopoulos AP, Norma HA, Gillaspy JE, Duke JA. 1992. Common purslane; a source of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. J Am Coll Nutr 11: 374-382. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.1992.10718240
- Effects of Chambirum on Radical Scavenging Activity and Serum Lipid Levels in Rats Fed Cholesterol vol.41, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.4.480
- Anti-Obesity Effect of Red Garlic Composites in Rats Fed a High Fat-Cholesterol Diet vol.22, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.5.671