- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Opuntia humifusa Seed Powder on Serum Lipid Profile in Ovariectomized Rats
- Hahm, Sahng-Wook (Department of Bioscience and Technology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University) ;
- Park, Ji-Eun (Department of Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University) ;
- Son, Yong-Suk (Department of Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University)
- Received : 2011.05.27
- Accepted : 2011.08.23
- Published : 2011.09.30
Opuntia humifusa contains high levels of antioxidants including vitamin C, flavonoids and polyphenols, which may provide beneficial effects such as hypolipidemic activity and the reduction of atherosclerosis in postmenopausal women. This study was conducted to determine if the intake of O. humifusa seeds powder (OHS) regulates lipid concentrations, glutamate-oxaloacetate transaminase (GOT), and glutamate-pyruvate transaminase (GPT) in the serum of ovariectomized rats. Sprague-Dawley female rats were randomly assigned to either a sham-operated group (Sham) or one of the following four ovariectomy (OVX) subgroups: OVX with vehicle (OVX), OVX with 100, 200, and 500 mg/kg/day OHS (OHS100, OHS200, OHS500). Daily oral administration of OHS was initiated one week after ovariectomy and continued for seven weeks. Upon completion of treatments, organs were weighed and GOT, GPT, total cholesterol (TC), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) levels were determined enzymatically. No significant differences in feed intake and organ index were observed among the groups. Significant decreases in GPT, TC and LDL-C (p<0.05) were observed in all of the OHS groups (OHS100, 200 and 500), while no significant changes in HDL-C were observed. In addition, the OHS200 and OHS500 treatment groups exhibited a lower level of serum GOT compared to the OVX group. These results indicate that supplementation with O. humifusa seeds could induce favorable changes in serum lipoprotein and lipid profiles, which frequently worsen with inadequate estrogen availability.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Rosano G, Vitale C, Marazzi G, Volterrani M. 2007. Menopause and cardiovascular disease: the evidence. Climacteric 10(Suppl 1): 19-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/13697130601114917
- Osterud B, Bjorklid E. 2003. Role of monocytes in atherogenesis. Physiol Rev 83: 1069-1112. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00005.2003
- Rossouw JE. 2002. Hormones, genetic factors and gender differences in cardiovascular disease. Cardiovasc Res 53: 550-557. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6363(01)00478-3
- Hung HC, Merchant A, Willett W, Ascherio A, Rosner BA, Rimm E, Joshipura KJ. 2003. The association between fruit and vegetable consumption and peripheral arterial disease. Epidemiology 14: 659-665. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ede.0000086882.59112.9d
- Acuna UM, Atha DE, Ma J, Nee MH, Kennelly EJ. 2002. Antioxidant capacities of ten edible North American plants. Phytother Res 16: 63-65.
- Lee JC, Kim HR, Kim J, Jang YS. 2002. Antioxidant property of an ethanol extract of the stem of Opuntia ficus- indica var. saboten. J Agric Food Chem 50: 6490-6496. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020388c
- Hernandez-Prerez T, Carrillo-Lopez A, Guevara-Lara F, Cruz-Hernandez A, Paredes-Lopez O. 2005. Biochemical and nutritional characterization of three prickly pear species with different ripening behavior. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 60: 195-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-005-8618-y
- Chavez-Santoscoy RA, Gutierrez-Uribe JA, Serna-Saldivar SO. 2009. Phenolic composition, antioxidant capacity and in vitro cancer cell cytotoxicity of nine prickly pear (Opuntia spp.) juices. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 64: 146-152. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-009-0117-0
- Butera D, Tesoriere L, Di Gaudio F, Bongiorno A, Allegra M, Pintaudi AM, Kohen R, Livrea MA. 2002. Antioxidant activities of sicilian prickly pear (Opuntia ficus indica) fruit extracts and reducing properties of its betalains: betanin and indicaxanthin. J Agric Food Chem 50: 6895-6901. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf025696p
- Galati EM, Mondello MR, Giuffrida D, Dugo G, Miceli N, Pergolizzi S, Taviano MF. 2003. Chemical characterization and biological effects of Sicilian Opuntia ficus indica (L.) mill. fruit juice: antioxidant and antiulcerogenic activity. J Agric Food Chem 51: 4903-4908. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf030123d
- Goldstein G, Nobel PS. 1994. Water relations and low temperature acclimation for cactus species varying in freezing tolerance. Plant Physiol 104: 675-681. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.104.2.675
- Yoon JA, Hahm SW, Park J, Son YS. 2009. Total polyphenol and flavonoid of fruit extract of Opuntia humifusa and its inhibitory effect on the growth of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1679- 1684. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1679
- Cho JY, Park SC, Kim TW, Kim KS, Song JC, Kim SK, Lee HM, Sung HJ, Park HJ, Song YB, Yoo ES, Lee CH, Rhee MH. 2006. Radical scavenging and anti-inflammatory activity of extracts from Opuntia humifusa Raf. J Pharm Pharmacol 58: 113-119. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.58.1.0014
Tribble DL. 1999. Antioxidant consumption and risk of coronary heart disease: emphasis on vitamin C, vitamin E, and
$\beta$-carotene: A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association. Circulation 99:591-595. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.99.4.591
- Verlangieri AJ, Kapeghian JC, El-Dean S, Bush M. 1985. Fruit and vegetable consumption and cardiovascular mortality. Med Hypotheses 16: 7-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-9877(85)90035-0
- Ennouri M, Fetoui H, Hammami M, Bourret E, Attia H, Zeghal N. 2007. Effects of diet supplementation with cactus pear seeds and oil on serum and liver lipid parameters in rats. Food Chem 101: 248-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.01.026
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analyses. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 69.
- FDA/CDER. 2005. Guidance for industry and reviews: estimating the safe starting dose in clinical trials for therapeutics in adult healthy volunteers. Rockville, MD, USA. p 6.
- El Kossori Lamghari R, Villaume C, El Boustani E, Sauvaire Y, Mejean L. 1998. Composition of pulp, skin and seeds of prickly pears fruit (Opuntia ficus indica sp.). Plant Foods Human Nutr 52: 263-270. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008000232406
- Coskuner Y, Tekin A. 2003. Monitoring of seed composition of prickly pear (Opuntia ficus indica L.) fruits during maturation period. J Sci Food Agric 83: 846-849. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1423
- Perez-Jimenez J, Serrano J, Tabernero M, Arranz S, Diaz-Rubio E, Garcia-Diaz L. 2008. Effects of grape antioxidant dietary fiber in cardiovascular disease risk factors. Nutrition 24: 646-653. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2008.03.012
- Brown L, Rosner B, Willet WW, Sacks FM. 1999. Cholesterol- lowing effects of dietary fiber: a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 69: 30-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/69.1.30
- Knopp RH, Superko HS, Davison M, Insull W, Dujovne CA, Kwiterovich PO. 1999. Long-term blood cholesterol- lowering effects of a dietary fiber supplement. Am J Prev Med 17: 18-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(99)00039-2
- Erkkila AT, Sarkkinen ES, Lehto S, Pyorala K, Unsitupa MIJ. 1990. Dietary associates of serum total, LDL, and HDL cholesterol and triglycerides in patients with coronary heart disease. Prev Med 28: 558-565.
- Rosamond WD. 2002. Dietary fiber and prevention of cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 39: 57-59.
- Chau CF, Huang YL, Lin CY. 2004. Investigation of the cholesterollowering action of insoluble fibre derived from the peel of Citrus sinensis L. cv. Liucheung. Food Chem 87: 361-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.12.006
- Hsu PK, Chien PJ, Chen CH, Chau CF. 2006. Carrot insoluble fiber-rich fraction lowers lipid and cholesterol absorption in hamsters. LWT-Food Sci Technol 39: 337-342.
- Chau CF, Cheung PCK. 1999. Effects of physico-chemical properties of legume fibers on the cholesterol absorption in hamsters. Nutr Res 19: 257-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(98)00189-4
- Moussa M, Tkaczuk J, Ragab J, Garcia J, Abbal M, Ohayon E, Ghisolfi J, Thouvenot JP. 2000. Relationship between the fatty acid composition of rat lymphocytes and immune functions. Br J Nutr 83: 327-333. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114500000404
- Bzan B, Temelli F. 2008. Chemical composition and oxidative stability of flax, safflower and poppy seed and seed oils. Bioresour Technol 99: 6354-6359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.12.009
- Hegsted DM, McGandy RB, Myers ML, Stare FJ. 1965. Quantitative effects of dietary fat on serum cholesterol in man. Am J Clin Nutr 17: 281-295. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/17.5.281
- Watkins BA, Shen CL, Allen KGD, Seifert MF. 1996. Dietary (n-3) and (n-6) polyunsaturates and acetylsalicylic acid alter ex vivo PGE2 biosynthesis, tissue IGF-I levels, and bone morphometry in chicks. J Bone Miner Res 11: 1321-1332.
- Koba K, Rozee-Baxter LA, Lin X, Horrobin DF, Huang YS. 1994. Effect of dietary linoleic acid content on the distribution of phosphatidylcholine molecular species in rat plasma. Nutr Res 14: 1355-1364. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(05)80295-7
- Latha D, Shirin H, Julie KC, Edralin AL, Sheau CC, Barhram HA. 2008. Blueberry prevents bone loss in ovariectomized rat model of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Nutr Biochem 19: 694-699. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2007.09.004
- Zhang G, Qin L, Hung WY, Shi YY, Leung PC, Yeung HY, Leung KS. 2006. Flavonoids derived from herbal Epimedium Brevicornum Maxim prevent OVX-induced osteoporosis in rats independent of its enhancement in intestinal calcium absorption. Bone 38: 818-825. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2005.11.019
- Cao DP, Zheng YN, Qin LP, Han T, Zhang H, Rahman K, Zhang QY. 2008. Curculigo orchioides, a traditional Chinese medicinal plant, prevents bone loss in ovariectomized rats. Maturitas 59: 373-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2008.03.010
- Dang ZC, van Bezooijen RL, Karperien M, Papapoulos SE, Lowik CW. 2002. Exposure of KS483 cells to estrogen enhances osteogenesis and inhibits adipogenesis. J Bone Miner Res 17: 394-405. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.3.394
- Tchernof A, Poehlman ET. 1998. Effects of the menopause transition on body fatness and body fat distribution. Obes Res 6: 246-254. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1998.tb00344.x
- Joyner JM, Hutley LJ, Cameron DP. 2001. Estrogen receptors in human preadipocytes. Endocrine 15: 225-230. https://doi.org/10.1385/ENDO:15:2:225
- Zhang R, Liu ZG, Li C, Hu SJ, Liu L, Wang JP, Mei QB. 2009. Du-Zhong (Eucommi ulmoides Oliv.) cortex extract prevent OVX-induced osteoporosis in rats. Bone 45: 553-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2008.08.127
- Nerbrand C, Lidfeldt J, Nyberg P, Scherstén B, Samsioe G. 2004. Serum lipids and lipoproteins in relation to endogenous and exogenous female sex steroids and age. The Women's Health in the Lund Ares (WHILA) study. Maturitas 48: 161-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2003.08.012
- Agrinier N, Cournot M, Dallongville J, Arveiler D, Ducimetiere P, Ruidavets JB, Ferrieres J. 2010. Menopause and modifiable coronary heart disease risk factors: A population based study. Maturitas 65: 237-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2009.11.023
- Kishida T, Mizushige T, Nagamoto M, Ohtsu Y, Izumi T, Obata A, Ebihara K. 2006. Lowering effect of an isoflavone-rich fermented soybean extract on the serum cholesterol concentrations in female rats, with or without ovariectomy, but not in male rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 70: 1547-1556. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.50008
- Tremollieres FA, Pouilles JM, Cauneille C, Ribot C. 1999. Coronary heart disease risk factors and menopause: a study in 1684 French women. Atherosclerosis 142: 415- 423. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9150(98)00252-4
- Lundeen SG, Carver JM, Mckean ML, Winneker RC. 1997. Characterization of the ovariectomized rat model for the evaluation of estrogen effects on plasma cholesterol levels. Endocrinology 138: 1552-1558. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.138.4.1552
- Bahramikia S, Yazdanparast R. 2008. Effect of hydroalcoholic extracts of Nasturtium officinale leaves on lipid profile in high-fat diet rats. J Ethnopharmacol 115: 116- 121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2007.09.015
- Adam SK, Das S, Soelaiman IN, Umar NA, Jaarin K. 2008. Consumption of repeatedly heated soy oil increases the serum parameters related to atherosclerosis in ovariectomized rats. Tohoku J Exp Med 215: 219-226. https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.215.219
- Gossell-Williams M, Lyttle K, Clarke T, Gardner M, Simon O. 2008. Supplementation with pumpkin seed oil improves plasma lipid profile and cardiovascular outcomes of female non-ovariectomized and ovariectomized Sprague- Dawley rats. Phytother Res 22: 873-877. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2381
- Bae YJ, Choi MK, Kim MH. 2011. Manganese supplementation reduces the blood cholesterol levels in Ca-deficient ovariectomized rats. Biol Trace Elem Res 141: 224-231. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-010-8714-1
- Park MK, Lee YJ, Kang ES. 2005. Hepatoprotective effect of Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) extract in rats treated carbon tetrachloride. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 822-826.
- Sreekanth D, Arunasree MK, Roy KR, Chandramohan Reddy T, Reddy GV, Reddanna P. 2007. Betanin a betacyanin pigment purified from fruits of Opuntia ficus-indica induces apoptosis in human chronic myeloid leukemia cell line-K562. Phytomedicine 14: 739-746. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2007.03.017