- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Chemopreventive Effects of Korean Red Ginseng (Panax ginseng Meyer) on Exposure to Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Received : 2010.12.28
- Accepted : 2011.04.20
- Published : 2011.09.25
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are well known environmental carcinogens. PAH metabolites, especially BaP-7,8- dihydrodiol, 9,10 epoxide, initiate carcinogenesis via high specificity binding to DNA to form DNA adducts. The Korean red ginseng (KRG) from Panax ginseng has been suggested to protect against damages due to PAH exposure but the mechanism is unknown. Therefore, we investigated effects of KRG on PAH exposure using toxicokinetic methods and changes of PAH-induced oxidative damage during a 2 week-clinical trial (n=21 healthy young female,
Korean red ginseng;Aromatic polycyclic hydrocarbons;1-Hydroxypyrene;Malondialdehyde;Chemoprevention
- IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. Some non-heterocyclic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and some related exposures. Lyon: IARC Press, 2010.
- Yang M, Kim S, Lee E, Cheong HK, Chang SS, Kang D, Choi Y, Lee SM, Jang JY. Sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon exposure in non-occupationally exposed Koreans. Environ Mol Mutagen 2003;42:250-257. https://doi.org/10.1002/em.10196
- Sabo-Attwood T, Ramos-Nino M, Mossman BT. Environmental carcinogens. In: Chang AE, Ganz PA, Hayes DF, Kinsella TJ, Pass HI, eds. Oncology: an evidence-based approach. New York: Springer, 2006. p.233-243.
- Yang M, Jang JY, Kim S, Lee SM, Chang SS, Cheong HK, Lee E, Kang D, Kim H, Kawamoto T et al. Genetic effects on urinary 1-hydroxypyrene levels in a Korean population. Carcinogenesis 2003;24:1085-1089. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgg054
- Shukla R, Kumar M. Role of Panax ginseng as an antioxidant after cadmium-induced hepatic injuries. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;47:769-773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.01.002
- Tagesson C, Kallberg M, Wingren G. Urinary malondialdehyde and 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine as potential markers of oxidative stress in industrial art glass workers. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 1996;69:5-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02630732
- Ogata M, Taguchi T. Simultaneous determination of urinary creatinine and metabolites of toluene, xylene, styrene, ethylbenzene and phenol by automated high performance liquid chromatography. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 1988;61:131-140. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00381617
- World Health Organization. Global database on body mass index. Available from: http://apps.who.int/bmi.
- Hong YC, Park EY, Park MS, Ko JA, Oh SY, Kim H, Lee KH, Leem JH, Ha EH. Community level exposure to chemicals and oxidative stress in adult population. Toxicol Lett 2009;184:139-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2008.11.001
- Lee KH, Bartsch H, Nair J, Yoo DH, Hong YC, Cho SH, Kang D. Effect of short-term fasting on urinary excretion of primary lipid peroxidation products and on markers of oxidative DNA damage in healthy women. Carcinogenesis 2006;27:1398-1403. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgi337
- Penning TM, Burczynski ME, Hung CF, McCoull KD, Palackal NT, Tsuruda LS. Dihydrodiol dehydrogenases and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon activation: generation of reactive and redox active o-quinones. Chem Res Toxicol 1999;12:1-18. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx980143n
- Hu CW, Wu MT, Chao MR, Pan CH, Wang CJ, Swenberg JA, Wu KY. Comparison of analyses of urinary 8-hydroxy- 2'-deoxyguanosine by isotope-dilution liquid chromatography with electrospray tandem mass spectrometry and by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2004;18:505-510. https://doi.org/10.1002/rcm.1367
- Pan CH, Chan CC, Huang YL, Wu KY. Urinary 1-hydroxypyrene and malondialdehyde in male workers in Chinese restaurants. Occup Environ Med 2008;65:732- 735. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2007.036970
- Kim HS, Lee BM. Protective effects of antioxidant supplementation on plasma lipid peroxidation in smokers. J Toxicol Environ Health A 2001;63:583-598. https://doi.org/10.1080/152873901316857761
- Lee BM, Lee SK, Kim HS. Inhibition of oxidative DNA damage, 8-OHdG, and carbonyl contents in smokers treated with antioxidants (vitamin E, vitamin C, beta-carotene and red ginseng). Cancer Lett 1998;132:219-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(98)00227-4
- Choi KM, Lee EJ, Kim YH, Baik SH, Kim YK, Choi DS. Effects of red ginseng on the lipid peroxidation of erythrocyte and antioxidant superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity in NIDDM patients. Korean J Ginseng Sci 1997;21:153-159.
- Ryu JK, Lee T, Kim DJ, Park IS, Yoon SM, Lee HS, Song SU, Suh JK. Free radical-scavenging activity of Korean red ginseng for erectile dysfunction in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus rats. Urology 2005;65:611-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2004.10.038
- Effects of Korean red ginseng (Panax Ginseng Meyer) on bisphenol A exposure and gynecologic complaints: single blind, randomized clinical trial of efficacy and safety vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-14-265