- Volume 49 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Marital Satisfaction between Immigrant Wives and Korean Wives of Korean Men
결혼이주 여성과 한국인 여성의 결혼만족도 비교연구
- Chung, Grace H. (Department of Child Development and Family Studies.Research Institute of Human Ecology, Seoul National University) ;
- Lim, Ji-Young (Department of Child & Family Studies.CBA(center for beautiful aging), Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2010.11.25
- Accepted : 2011.04.15
- Published : 2011.06.30
The purpose of this study was to explore factors related to marital satisfaction among immigrant wives compared to Korean wives of Korean men. Participants included 409 immigrant wives married to Korean men and 474 Korean wives married to Korean men, both currently living in Korea. Hierarchical regression analyses revealed that there were different sets of variables that predicted marital satisfaction for each group. Egalitarian decision-making was a significant predictor of marital satisfaction for immigrant wives only, whereas for Korean wives, it was the level of their depressive symptoms that was significantly but negatively associated with marital satisfaction. A wife's positive perception of her husband's communication style emerged as the strongest predictor of marital satisfaction for both Korean and immigrant wives. In addition, indicators of the cultural context of immigrant women (i.e., longer stay in Korea and greater frequency of experiencing discrimination in the past year due to their foreign appearance or status) emerged as significant predictors of immigrant wives' marital satisfaction even after taking demographic factors, depressive symptoms, and couple-level factors into account. The findings of this study contribute to existing research by (1) comparing the models of marital satisfaction for Korean wives and immigrant wives, identifying unique predictors for each group, and (2) examining the effect of cultural adaptation on the martial satisfaction of immigrant wives.
- Allen, C. M., & Straus, M. A.(1985). Final say measures of marital power: Theoretical critique and empirical findings from five studies in the U. S. and India. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 15, 329-344.
- Amato, P. R., Johnson, D. R., Booth, A., & Rogers, S. J.(2003). Continuity and change in marital quality between 1980 and 2000. Journal of Marriage and Family, 65, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2003.00001.x
- Berry, J. W.(1997). Immigration, acculturation, and adaptation. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 46, 5-68.
- Berry, J. W.(2003). Conceptual approaches to acculturation. In K. Chun, P. Balls Organista, & G. Marin (Eds.), Acculturation: Advances in theory, measurement, and applied research (pp. 17-37). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Berry, J. W., Kim, U., Power, S., Young, M., & Bujaki, M.(1989). Acculturation attitudes in plural societies. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 185-206.
- Bienvenu, R.(1970). Measurement of marital communication. The Family Coordinator, 19, 26-31. https://doi.org/10.2307/582142
- Blood, R. O., & Wolfe, D. M.(1960). Husbands, wives: The dynamics of married living. Glencoe, IL: Free Press.
- Boss, P. G.(1987). Family stress (pp. 695-723). In M. B. Sussman & S. Steinmetz (eds.), Handbook of marriage and the family. New York: Plenum Press.
- Bradbury, T. N., Fincham, F. D., & Beach, S. R. H.(2000). Research on the nature and determinants of marital satisfaction: A decade in review. Journal of Marriage and Family, 62(4), 964-980. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2000.00964.x
- Bramlett, M. D., & Mosher, W. D.(2002). Cohabitation, marriage, divorce, and remarriage in the United States (Vol.23). Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.
- Chung, G., Tucker, M. B., & Takeuchi, D.(2008). Wives' relative income production and household male dominance: Examining violence among Asian American enduring couples. Family Relations, 52(2), 227-238.
- Fu, X., Tora, J., & Kendall, H.(2001). Marital happiness and inter-racial marriage: A study in a multiethnic community in Hawaii. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 32, 47-60.
- Han, H. Y., & Hyun, M. H.(2006). The association between adult attachment and marital satisfaction: the mediating effect of dyadic perspective taking and conflict resolution efficacy. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 25(4), 935-952.
- Harrell, S. P.(1997). The Racism and Life Experience Scales (RaLES). Unpublished manuscript.
- Heaton, T. B.(2002). Factors contributing to increasing marital stability in the United States. Journal of Family Issues, 23, 392-409. https://doi.org/10.1177/0192513X02023003004
- Hohmann-Marriott, B. E., & Amato, P.(2008). Relationship quality in interethnic marriages and cohabitations. Social Forces, 87(2), 825-855. https://doi.org/10.1353/sof.0.0151
- Hwang, J. G.(2009). Factors associated with marital satisfaction and stability of married men and women. Korean Association of Human Ecology, 18(4), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.1.001
- Karis, T. A.(2003). How race matters and does not matter for white women in relationships with black men. Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy, 2, 23-40. https://doi.org/10.1300/J398v02n02_03
- Killian, K. D.(2001). Reconstituting racial histories and identities: The narratives of interracial couples. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 27, 27-42.
- Kim, H. G.(2009). Factors impacting on the cross-border married women's life adaptation in rural area, Gyungbook province. Rural Sociology, 19(1), 83-120.
- Kim, M.(2009). A comparative study of the factors effecting on marital satisfaction by age cohort. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 26, 35-62.
- Kim, Y. S.(2007). A study on the marital happiness among female marriage immigrant in Seoul. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 21, 217-252.
- Kong, S. S.(2006). Influencing factors of marital satisfaction in couples: non-distressed couples vs clinical couples. The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 15(4), 434-445.
- Koo, C. S.(2007). Study on the interracially married female immigrant's adaptation of multicultural family. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 20, 319-360.
- Kwak, K. J.(2008). Development and adaptation of multicultural children: Focus on pattern and effect of interaction between parents and their children in multicultural family. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Korean Psychological Association.
- Kwon, B., & Cha, B.(2006). The impact of communication and cultural identity on marital satisfaction among Kosian housewives in rural areas. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 58(3), 109-134.
- Laub, J. H., Nagin, D. S., & Sampson, R. J.(1998). Trajectories of change in criminal offending: Good marriages and the desistance process. American Sociological Review, 63, 225-238. https://doi.org/10.2307/2657324
- Lee, J. E., & Yun, Ho. K.(2007). The relationship of mindfulness, marital communication patterns, and marital satisfaction in married women. The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 12(3), 331-345.
- Liu, A. M.(2008). The effects of perceived immigrant stress, acculturation strategies, and conflict resolution styles on marital satisfaction of Chinese American immigrants. Unpublished Dissertation. Fielding Graduate University.
- Moon, H. O.(2007). A study on the marriage satisfaction of Korean women comparing that of Vietnamese women. Unpublished master's thesis, Graduate school of venture Hoseo University.
- Moon, S. S., Kim, C. H., & Sim, M. G.(2009). Stress, marital satisfaction, and needs for help of immigrant woman in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 23(1), 101-112.
- MOPAS(2009). Bureau of Administrative Security. Ministry of Public Administration and Security.
- Pearlin, L. I., Lieberman, M. A., Menaghan, E. G., & Mullan, J. T.(1981). The stress process. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 22, 337-356. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136676
- Pyo, K. S., & Kwon, M. H.(2009). A study on the marital satisfaction of multi-cultural families in Chungbuk province. Journal of Community Welfare, 28, 21-48.
- Schumm, W. R., Anderson, S. A., Benigas, J. E., McCutchen, M. B., Griffin, C. L., Morris, J. E., et al.(1985). Criterion related validity of the Kansas Marital Satisfaction Scale. Psychological Reports 56, 719-722. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1999
- Son, Y. J., & You, M. S.(2008). The related factors on the marital satisfaction in working married women. Journal of Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 12(2), 143-154.
- Suh, H. J., & Kim, H. M.(2009). A study on the marital quality and marital stability among female marriage immigrant. Social Welfare Policy, 36(2), 359-389.
- Yang, O. K., Song, M. K., & Im, S. W.(2009). A study on acculturation stress of internationally-married female migrants in Seoul. Journal of Family Relations, 14(1), 137-168.
- Yang, S. M.(2007). The effects of related variables on happiness in rural international marriage couples. Rural Sociology, 17(2), 5-39.
- Yang, S. M., & Chung, H. S.(2006). Variables affecting the adjustment of marital life and satisfaction of international marriage couple of rural in Korea. Journal of Family Relations, 11(3), 223-252.
- Ethnic Variations in Factors Contributing to the Life Satisfaction of Migrant Wives in South Korea vol.62, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3729.2012.00753.x
- Factors Influencing Depression in Married Immigrant Women in Korea vol.19, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.4.254
- Influence of Acculturative Stress of Married Migrant Women on Marriage Satisfaction: The Mediating Effect of Problem-Solving Ability and Information Support vol.7, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/aswp.12007
- The Effect on the Marital Satisfaction to marriage immigrant wives whose spouse of in an old age : Focusing on Social service and Human support vol.12, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.9.47