- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Meta-analysis of the Gender Differences and Variables Related to Overt and Relational Aggression in Children and Adolescents
아동과 청소년의 외현적, 관계적 공격성의 성별 차이 및 관련변인에 대한 메타분석
- Seo, Mi-Jung (Research Institute of Ecology for the Elderly, Pusan National University)
- 서미정 (부산대학교 생활환경대학 노인생활환경연구소)
- Received : 2011.02.28
- Accepted : 2011.05.24
- Published : 2011.06.30
This study presents a meta-anlalytic review of 119 studies, published between 1990 and 2009, of gender differences and variables associated with overt and relational aggression during childhood and adolescence. Gender differences in overt aggression were found to be significantly higher in boys than girls, but significant gender differences in relational aggression were not found. Gender differences of only overt aggression are moderated by age and the reporter type. In general, both overt and relational aggression are more strongly related to maladjustment than adjustment. In addition to this, overt and relational aggression has both common and differential associations with relative levels of maladjustment and adjustment. The moderation of these effect sizes of both overt and relational aggression by age and the reporter type was found.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 김동기․홍세희(2007). 다층모형을 적용한 청소년의 외현적 공격성 변화 추정:변화에 있어서의 개인차에 대한 생태학적 요인 검증. 조사연구, 8(2), 21-42.
- 김민정․도현심(2001). 부모의 양육행동, 부부갈등 및 아동의 형제자매관계와 아동의 공격성간의 관계. 아동학회지, 22(2), 149-166.
- 김지현(2006). 아동의 공격성에 영향을 미치는 개인 내적․외적 요인에 대한 구조방정식 모형 검증. 연세대학교 대학원 박사학위 청구논문.
- 박민정․박혜원(2006). 자아개념, 애착, 교사 및 또래 관계가 청소년의 공격성에 미치는 영향:한국, 조선족 및 한족 청소년을 중심으로. 대한가정학회지, 44(3), 79-89.
- 배선영(2006). 아동이 지각한 부모갈등과 공격성과의 관계. 공주대학교 교육대학원 석사학위 청구논문.
- 서미정(2009). 초기 청소년의 외현적 공격성 변화와 비행, 우울/불안 및 학업 성취감:잠재성장분석. 한국청소년연구, 20(2), 141-167.
- 서미정(2010). 초기 청소년의 외현적 공격성 변화유형과 예측요인:성장혼합모형의 적용. 아동학회지, 31(3), 83-97.
- 신미숙(1997). 아동의 공격성 유형에 따른 성차 및 사회-심리적 적응과의 관계. 한국교원대학교 대학원 석사학위 청구논문.
- 오성삼(2002). 메타분석의 이론과 실제. 건국대학교 출판부.
- 윤혜미․박병금(2005). 청소년의 내재화 및 외현화 문제행동 관련요인 -생태체계적 관점을 중심으로-. 사회복지연구, 28, 133-164.
- 이춘아(2001). 청소년의 또래공격성과 피공격성. 전남대학교 대학원 박사학위 청구논문.
- 최운선(2005). 학교폭력 관련변인에 관한 메타분석. 한국가족복지학, 10(2), 95-111.
- Archer, J. (2004). Sex differences in aggression in real-world settings:A meta-analytic review. Review of General Psychology, 8, 291-322. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-2618.104.22.1681
- Archer, J., & Coyne, S. M. (2005). An integrated review of indirect, relational, and social aggression. Personality and Social Development, 10, 272-274.
- Bjorkqvist, K. (1994). Sex differences in physical, verbal, and indirect aggression:A review of recent research. Sex Roles, 30, 177-188. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01420988
- Bjorkqvist, K. (2001). Different names, same issue. Social Psychology Review, 9, 212-230.
- Bjorkqvist, K., Lagerspetz, K. M. J., & Kaukiainen, A. (1992). Do girls manipulate and boys fight? Aggressive Behavior, 18, 117-127. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2337(1992)18:2<117::AID-AB2480180205>3.0.CO;2-3
- Cairns, R. B., Cairns, B. D., Neckerman, H. J., Ferguson, L. L., & Gariepy, J.-L. (1989). Growth and aggression:1. Childhood to early adolescence. Developmental Psychology, 25, 320-330. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1622.214.171.1240
- Card, N. A., Isaacs, J., & Hodges, E. V. E. (2007). Correlates of school victimization:Recommendations for prevention and intervention. In J. E. Zins, M. J. Elias, & C. A. Maher (Eds.), Bullying, victimization, and peer harassment:A handbook of prevention and intervention (pp. 339-366). New York:Haworth Press.
- Card, N. A., Stucky, B. D., Sawalani, G. M., & Little T. D. (2008). Direct and indirect aggression during childhood and adolescence:A meta-analytic review of gender differences, intercorrelations, and relations to maladjustment. Child Development, 79(5), 1185-1229. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2008.01184.x
- Cohen, J. (1977). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (Revised edition). New York:Academic Press.
- Coie, J. D., & Dodge, K. A. (1998). Aggression and antisocial behavior. In W. Damon (Series Ed.) & N. Eisenberg (Vol. Ed.), Handbook of child psychology (Vol. 3, pp. 779-862). New York:Wiley.
- Crick, N. R. (1995). Relational aggression:The role of intent attributions, feelings of distress, and provocation type. Development and Psychopathology, 7, 313-322. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400006520
- Crick, N. R. (1997). Engagement in gender normative versus nonnormative forms of aggression:Links to social-psychological adjustment. Developmental Psychology, 33, 610-617. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16126.96.36.1990
- Crick, N. R., & Grotpeter, J. K. (1995). Relational aggression, gender, and social-psychological adjustment. Child Development, 66, 710-722. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131945
- Feshbach, N. D. (1969). Sex differences in children's modes of aggressive responses toward outsiders. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 15, 249-258.
- Field, A. (1999). A bluffer's guide to meta-analysis 1. Newsletter of the Mathematical, Statistical and Computing section of the British Psychological Society, 7, 16-25.
- Hedges, L. V., & Olkin, I. (1983). Statistical methods for meta-analysis. Orlando, FL:Academic Press.
- Hyde, J. S. (1984). How large are gender differences in aggression? A developmental meta-analysis. Developmental Psychology, 20, 722-736. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16188.8.131.522
- Ladd, G. W. (2005). Children's peer relations and social competence:A century of progress. New Haven, CT:Yale University Press.
- Lagerspetz, K. M. J., Björkqvist, K., & Peltonen, T. (1988). Is indirect aggression typical of females? Gender differences in aggressiveness in 11-to 12-year-old children. Aggressive Behavior, 14, 403-414. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2337(1988)14:6<403::AID-AB2480140602>3.0.CO;2-D
- Martino, S. C., Ellickson, P. L., Klein, D. J., McCaffrey, D., & Edelen, M. O. (2008). Multiple trajectories of physical aggression among adolescent boys and girls. Aggressive Behavior, 34, 61-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.20215
- Silverthorn, P., & Frick, P. J. (1999). Developmental pathways to antisocial behavior:The delayedonset pathway in girls. Developmental Psychopathology, 11, 101-126. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579499001972
- Stock, W. A., Okun, M. A., Haring, M. J., Miller, W., Kinney, C., & Ceurvorst, R. W. (1982). Rigor in data synthesis:A case study of reliability in meta-analysis. Educational Researcher, 11(6), 10-14. https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X011006010
- Tremblay, R. E., Japel, C., Perusse, D., Boivin, M., Zoccolillo, M., Montplaisir, J., & McDuff, P. (1999). The search for the age of 'onset' of physical aggression:Rousseau and Bandura revisited. Criminal Behavior and Mental Health, 9, 8-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbm.288
- Underwood, M. K. (2003). Social aggression among girls. New York:Guilford Press.
- Vaillancourt, T., Brendgen, M., Boivin, M., & Tremblay, R. E. (2003). A longitudinal confirmatory factor analysis of indirect and physical aggression:Evidence of two factors over time? Child Development, 74, 1628-1638. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-8624.2003.00628.x
- Xie, H., Cairns, B. D., & Cairns, R. B. (2005). The development of aggressive behaviors among girls:Measurement issues, social functions, and differential trajectories. In:Pepler D. J., Madsen, K. C., Webster, C., Levene, K.S. (eds):The Development and Treatment of Girlhood Aggression. Mahwah, NY:Erlbaum, pp. 105-136.
- The Effects of Self-Control, Parental Behaviors, and Marital Conflict on Boys' Aggression in Korean Upper Elementary School Students vol.30, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2012.30.2.101
- Effects of child neglect·abuse by parents, children's intimacy with teachers and peer attachment on boys' and girls' psycho-social maladjustment vol.23, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2014.23.3.379
- Influence of Marital Conflict on Children’s Aggression: The Mediation Effect of Co-Parenting vol.53, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2015.045
- Effect of Interparental Conflict on Overt Aggression in Upper Elementary School Students: The Mediating Role of Parent-Child Conflict vol.53, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2015.050
- The Effects of Parental Psychological Control and Boys and Girls’ Rejection Sensitivity on Relational Aggression in Elementary School Students vol.37, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5723/kjcs.2016.37.4.31