- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Team Members' Psychological Characteristics and Knowledge Network Characteristics among Team Members on Team Performance
팀 구성원의 심리적 다양성과 구성원 간 지식네트워크 특성이 팀 성과에 미치는 효과: 학습 분위기의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2010.08.31
- Accepted : 2011.03.11
- Published : 2011.03.31
This study investigated the factors that facilitate knowledge creation of team with the aspect of knowledge management. We considered two characteristics which are team members' psychological characteristics (achievement needs and conflict emotion) and knowledge network characteristics among team members (internal cohesion and external bridging) and verified the relationship between these characteristics and team performance. Furthermore, we examined whether these characteristics have a different effect on team performance according to the mastery climate. This study performed a survey targeting team members in knowledge based firms and 376 final surveys to be used as a sample in this study. The result showed that team members' psychological characteristics and knowledge network characteristics among Team members have an influence on team performance significantly. In addition, the master climate moderated the relationship between team members' psychological characteristics and team performance.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 서아영, 신경식, "가상 팀의 지식네트워크, IT활용, 성과 간의 관계에 관한 연구: 사회 네트워크 분석을 중심으로," 경영학연구, 33권, 1호, 2009. pp.75-103.
- 이영찬, 권기택, "지식경영의 성공적인 실행을 위한 전략적 의사결정 프레임워크 구축," 정보시스템연구, Vol.18, No.3, 2009. pp.135-154. https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2009.18.3.135
- 장길상, "지식경영을 위한 사례기반추론 시스템의 설계 및 구축: "H"기업의 플랜트건설 프로젝트 적용사례," 정보시스템연구, Vol.18, No.3, 2009. pp.231-249.
- 최종민, "사회적 자본 및 정보기술 하부구조의 도입수준과 지식경영 과정들에 대한 영향," 정보시스템연구, Vol.18, No.3, 2009. pp.183-210. https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2009.18.3.183
- Ames, C. and Archer, J., "Achievement goals in the classroom: Students' learning strategies and motivation process," Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.80, 1988. pp.260-267. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.1680
- Ancona, D.G. and D.F. Caldwell, "Demography and design: Predictors of new product team performance," Organization Science, Vol.3, No.3, 1992. pp.321-341. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.3.3.321
- Bahli, B. and Buyukkurt, M., "Group Performance in Information Systems Project Groups: An Empirical Study," Journal of Information Technology Education, Vol.4, 2005. pp.97-113. https://doi.org/10.28945/267
- Barki, H. and Hartwick, J., "Communications as a Dimension of User Participation," IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, Vol.44, No.1, 2001. pp.21-35. https://doi.org/10.1109/47.911130
- Barry, B. and Steward, G.L., "Composition, Process, and Performance in Self-Managed Groups: The Role of Personality," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.82, 1997. pp.62-78. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.1.62
- Bliese, P.D. (2000) Within-group Agreement, Non-independence and Reliability: Implications for Data Aggregation and Analysis. In K.J. Klein & S.W.J. Kozlowski (Eds.), Multilevel Theory, Research, and Methods in Organizations: Foundations, Extensions, and New Directions (349-381). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Bunderson, J.S., "Team Member Functional Background and Involvement in Management Teams: Direct Effects and the Moderating Role of Power Centralization," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.46, 2003. pp.438-474.
- Burt, R.S., Structural holes: The social structure of competition, Cambridge, Harvard Univeristy Press, MA, 1992.
- Carless, S.A. and De Paola, C., "The measurement of cohesion in work teams," Small Group Research, Vol.31, 2000. pp.71-88. https://doi.org/10.1177/104649640003100104
- Chandler, P.A., Swamidass, P.M., and Cammann, C., "Self-Managing Work Teams: An Empirical Study of Group Cohesiveness in "Natural Work Groups" at a Harley-Davidson Motor Company Plant," Small Group Research, Vol.34, 2003. pp.101-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496402239579
- Cohen, S.G. and Bailey, D.E., "What Makes Teams Work: Group Effectiveness Research From the Shop Floor to the Executive Suite," Journal of Management, Vol.23, 1997. pp.239-290.
- Contractor, N.S. and Monge, P.R., "Managing knowledge networks," Management Communication Quarterly, Vol.16, No.2, 2002. pp.249-258 https://doi.org/10.1177/089331802237238
- Courtney, H.S., Navarro, E. and O'Hare, C.A., "The Dynamic Organic Transformational Team Model for High-Performance Knowledge Worker Teams," Team Performance Management, Vol.13, No.1-2, 2007. pp.34-46. https://doi.org/10.1108/13527590710736716
- Covert, M.D., Craiger, P. and Cannon-Bowers, J.A., "Innovations in Modeling and Simulating Team Performance: Implications for Decision Making," in Guzzo, R./Salas, E. and Associates (eds.), Team Effectiveness and Decision-Making in Organizations, 1995. pp.149-203.
- David C.M., "Methods of Measuring Human Motivation", in John W. Atkinson, ed., Motives in Fantasy, Action and Society, 1958. pp.12-13.
- David C.M., "Methods of Measuring Human Motivation," in John W. Atkinson, ed., The Achieving Society, 1961. pp.41-43.
- Granovetter, M., "The strength of weak ties," American Journal of Sociology, Vol.78, No.6, 1973. pp.1360-1380. https://doi.org/10.1086/225469
- Hogg, M.A. and Abrams, D., Socia lidentifications: A social psychology of inter group relations and group processes. London: Routledge, 1988.
- Hogl, M., Parboteeah, K., and Munson, C., "Team-level antecedents of individuals' knowledge networks," Decision Science, Vol.34, No.4, 2003. pp.741-770. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5414.2003.02344.x
- Hogl, M. and Gemuenden, H.G., "Teamwork quality and the success of innovative projects: a theoretical concept and empirical evidence," Organization Science, Vol.12 No.4, 2001. pp.435-49. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.12.4.435.10635
- Klein, K.J. and S.W.J. Kozlowski. 2000. "From Micro to Meso: Critical Steps in Conceptualizing and Conducting Multilevel Research," Organizational Research Methods,3,3,211-236. https://doi.org/10.1177/109442810033001
- Nonaka, I and Konno, N., "The concept of "Ba': Building foundation for Knowledge Creation," California Management Review, Vol.40, No.3 1998.
- Ilgen, D.R., Hollenbeck, J.R., Johnson, M., and Jundt, D., "Teams in organizations: From input-process-output models to IMOI models," Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.56, No.1, 2005. pp.517-543. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.56.091103.070250
- LePine, J.A., Hansom, M.A., Borman, W.C. and Motowidlo, S.J., "Contextual performance and teamwork: implications for staffing," Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, Vol.19, 2000. pp.53-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-7301(00)19003-6
- Liao, J., Welsch, H. and Stoica, M., "Organizational Absorptive Capacity and Responsiveness: An Empirical Investigation of Growth-Oriented SMEs," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 2003. pp.63-85.
- Luft, J. and Ingram H., "The Johari window, a graphic model of interpersonal awareness," Proceedings of the Western Training Laboratory in Group Development. Los Angeles, 1955.
- Mannix, E., and Neale, M.A., "What differences make a difference? The promise and reality of diverse teams in organizations," Psychological Science in the Public Interest, Vol.6, 2005. pp.31-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-1006.2005.00022.x
- Midgley, C., Kaplan, A., Middleton, M., Maehr, M. and Urdan, T., "The Development and Validation of Scales Assessing students' Goal Orientations," Contemporary Educational Psychology, Vol.23, 1998. pp.113-131. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1998.0965
- Mohrman, S.A., Cohen, S.G., Mohrman, A.M., Designing Team-based Organizations: New Forms for Knowledge Work, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1995.
- Nonaka, I., and Takeuchi, H., The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation. Oxford University, New York, 1995.
- Pearce, C., "The future of leadership: Combining vertical and shared leadership to transform knowledge work," Academy of Management Executive. Vol.18, No.1, 2004. pp.47-57. https://doi.org/10.5465/AME.2004.12690298
- Raven, J.,. The McClell and McBer Competency Models. Chapter 15 in J. Raven & J. Stephenson (Eds.), Competence in the Learning Society. Peter Lang, New York, 2001.
- Riggio, R.E., Introduction to industrial/organizational psychology, 4th ed., Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. 2003.
- Russell. J.A., "A circumplex model of affect," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.3, No.9, 1980. pp.1161-1178.
- Sarin, S. and Mahajan, V., "The Effect of Reward Structures on the Performance of Cross-Functional Product Development Teams," Journal of Marketing, Vol.65, No.2, 2001. pp.35-53. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.12452
- Sarin, S. and McDermott, C., "The Effect of Team Leader Characteristics on Leaning, Knowledge Application, and Performance of cross-Functional New Product Development Team," Decision Sciences, Vol.34, No.4, 2003. pp.707-741. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5414.2003.02350.x
- Simonin, B.L., "Ambiguity and the Process of Knowledge Transfer in Strategic Alliances," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.20, No.7, 1999. pp.595-623. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199907)20:7<595::AID-SMJ47>3.0.CO;2-5
- Skyrme, D.J., Knowledge networking, Butter Heineman: Creating the Collaborative Enterprise, New York, 1995.
- Stevens, M.J. and Campion, M.A., "Staffing work teams: Development and validation of a selection test for teamwork settings," Journal of Management, Vol.25, 1999. pp.207-228.
- Stock, R., "Drivers of team performance: What do we know and what have we still to learn?," Schmalenbach Business Review, Vol.56, July, 2004. pp.274-306. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03396696
- Sundstrom, E., Supporting work team effectiveness. In E.A. Sundstrom (Ed.), Supporting work team effectiveness: Best management practices for fostering high performance. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 1999.
- Tanghe, J., Wisse, B., and van der Flier, H., "The formation of group affect and team effectiveness: The moderating role of identification," British Journal of Management, Vol.21, 2010. pp.340-358
- Thomas, J., "Achievement-goal profiles among elite baseball players," working paper in the univ. of North Carolina at Greensboro UCLA. 2005.
- Weiss, H.M. and Cropanzano, R., "Affective Events Theory: A theoretical discussion of the structure, causes and consequences of affective experiences at work," Research in organizational behavior Vol.18, 1996. pp.1-74.
- Weiss, H., and Brief, A.P., Affect at work: An historical perspective. In R.L. Payne & C.L Cooper (Eds.), Emotions at work: Theory, research, and application in management. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK. 2001.
- Wright, T.A. and Staw, B.M., "Affect and favorable work outcomes: two longitudinal tests of the happy-productive worker thesis," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.20, 1999. pp.1-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199901)20:1<1::AID-JOB885>3.0.CO;2-W
- Yuan, Y.C., Fulk, J., and Monge, P.R., "Access to information in connective and communal transactive memory systems," Communication Research, Vol.34, No.2, 2007. pp.131-153 https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650206298067
- Zahra, S.A. and George, G., "Absorptive Capacity: A Review Reconceptualization, and Extension," Academy of Management Review, Vol.27, No.2, 2002. pp.185-203.