- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Creep Feed with Varied Energy Density Diets on Litter Performance
- Yan, L. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Jang, H.D. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, I.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2011.04.01
- Accepted : 2011.06.15
- Published : 2011.10.01
This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of creep feed with different energy densities on litter performance. A total of 30 sows (Landrace
- Axelrod, J., T. D. Reisine. 1984. Stress hormones: Their interaction and regulation. Sciences 224:452-459. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.6143403
- Becker, B. A., J. A. Nienaber, R. K. Christenson, R. C. Manak, J. A. De Shazer and G. L. Hahn. 1985. Peripheral concentrations of cortisol as an indicator of stress in the pig. Am. J. Vet. Res. 46:1034-1038.
- Cranwell, P. D., D. E. Noakes and K. T. Hill. 1976. Gastric secretion and fermentation in the sucking pig. Br. J. Nutr. 36:71-86. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19760059
- Dantzer, R. and P. Mormede. 1983. Stress in farm animals: a need for reevaluation. J. Anim. Sci. 57:6-18.
- de Passille, A. M., B. Pelletier, G. Menard and J. Morisset. 1989. Relationships of weight gain and behavior to digestive organ weight and enzyme activities in piglets. J. Anim. Sci. pp. 67:2921-2929.
- Dobson, H. and R. F. Smith. 2000. What is stress and how does it affect reproduction? Anim. Reprod. Sci. 60-61:743-752. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00080-4
- Ehrhart-Bornstein, M. and S. R. Bornstein. 2008. Cross-talk between adrenal medulla and adrenal cortex in stress. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1148:112-117. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1410.053
- English, P. R. 1981. Establishing the early weaned pig. Pig Vet. Soc. Proc. 7:29-37.
- Foxcroft, G. R. 1992. Nutritional and lactational regulation of fertility in sows. J. Reprod. Fertil. 45:113-125.
- Fraser, D., J. J. R. Feddes and E. A. Pajor. 1994. The relationship between creep feeding behavior of piglets and adaptation to weaning: effect of diet quality. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 74(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas94-001
- Hay, M. and P. Mormede, 1997. Determination of catecholamines and methoxycatecholamines excretion patterns in pig and rat urine by ion-exchange liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection. J. Chromatogr. B 703:15-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4347(97)00390-3
- Hauser, M. D. and L. A. Fairbanks. 1988. Mother-offspring conflict in vervet monkeys: variation in response to ecological conditions. Anim. Behav. 36:802-813. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-3472(88)80163-5
- Kuller, W. I., N. M. Soede, H. M. G. van Beers-Schreurs, P. Langendijk, M. A. M. Taverne, J. H. M. Verheijden and B. Kemp. 2004. Intermittent suckling: Effects on piglet and sow performance before and after weaning. J. Anim. Sci. 82:405-413.
- Montagne, L., F. S. Cavaney, D. J. Hampson, J. P. Lalle, and J. R. Pluske. 2004. Effect of diet composition on postweaning colibacillosis in piglets. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2364-2374.
- Pajor, E. A., D. Fraser and D. L. Kramer. 1991. Consumption of solid food by suckling piglets: Individual variation and relation to weight gain. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 32:139-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(05)80038-3
- Pajor, E. A., D. M. Weary, C. Caceres, D. Fraser and D. L. Kramer. 2002. Alternative housing for sows and litters part3. Effects of piglet diet quality and sow-controlled housing on performance and behaviour. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 76:267-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(02)00010-2
- Schoenherr, W. D. and D. S. Pollmann. 1993. Improved nutrional programs for pigs at 7 to 10 days of age. American Association of Swine Practitioners Annunal Meeting, Kansas City, MO, March 7-9.
- Smulders, D., G. Verbeke, P. Mormede and R. Geers. 2006. Validation of a behavioral observation tool to assess pig welfare. Physiol. Behav. 89:438-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2006.07.002
- Sohn, K. S. and C. V. Maxwell. 1995. The effect of creep feeding on postweaning performance in early-weaned pigs. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 37(1):73-78.
- Sulabo, R. C., M. D. Tokach, E. J. Wiedmann, J. Y. Jacela, J. L. Nelssen, S. S. Dritz, J. M. DeRouchey and R. D. Goodband. 2010. Effects of varying creep feeding duration on preweaning performance and the proportion of pigs consuming creep feed. J. Anim. Sci. 88:3154-3162. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2134
- Tsuma, V. T., S. Einarsson, A. Madej and N. Lundeheim. 1995. Hormone profiles around weaning in cyclic and anoestrous sows. J. Vet. Med. Series A 42:153-163. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.1995.tb00367.x
- Turner, A. I., P. H. Hemsworth, P. J. Canny and A. J. Tilbrook. 1999a. Inhibition of the secretion of LH in ovariectomized pigs by sustained but not repeated acute elevation of cortisol in the absence but not the presence of oestradiol. J. Endocrinol. 163:477-486. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1630477
- Turner, A. I., P. H. Hemsworth, P. J. Canny and A. J. Tilbrook. 1999b. Sustained but not repeated acute elevation of cortisol impaired the luteinizing hormone surge, estrus and ovulation in gilts. Biol. Reprod. 61:614-620. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod61.3.614
- Weary, D. M., E. A. Pajor, M. bonnenfant, S. K. Ross, D. Fraser, and D. L. Kramer. 1999. Alternative housing for sows and litters. Part 2. Effect of a communal piglet area on pre-and post-weaning behavior and performance. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 65:123-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(99)00053-2
- Effects of different creep feed types on pre-weaning and post-weaning performance and gut development vol.31, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0844