- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Growth Performance, Carcass Traits and Meat Quality of Slower-growing and Fast-growing Chickens Raised with and without Outdoor Access
- Mikulski, Dariusz (Department of Poultry Science, Faculty of Animal Bioengineering, University of Warmia and Mazury) ;
- Celej, Joanna (Department of Poultry Science, Faculty of Animal Bioengineering, University of Warmia and Mazury) ;
- Jankowski, Jan (Department of Poultry Science, Faculty of Animal Bioengineering, University of Warmia and Mazury) ;
- Majewska, Teresa (Department of Poultry Science, Faculty of Animal Bioengineering, University of Warmia and Mazury) ;
- Mikulska, Marzena (Department of Poultry Science, Faculty of Animal Bioengineering, University of Warmia and Mazury)
- Received : 2011.02.16
- Accepted : 2011.06.08
- Published : 2011.10.01
The objective of this study was to determine the effect of genotype (slower-growing vs. fast-growing) and production system (access to outdoors vs. indoor) on the growth performance, carcass yield and meat quality (chemical composition, physicochemical and sensory properties) of chickens. The experiment was performed on 1,040 day-old hybrid male chickens of two genotypes. Slower-growing chickens (Hubbard JA957, certified) and fast-growing chickens (Hubbard F15) were fed identical diets until 65 days of age. Both genotypes (each represented by 520 birds) were divided into two subgroups and were raised in pens on litter with outdoor access or in indoor confinement without outdoor access (four replications per subgroup, each of 65 birds). Until day 21, the birds stayed in the indoor facility, in deep-litter pens. The birds could forage on pasture 12 h daily, commencing at three weeks of age. Stocking density was 0.13
Slower-growing Chickens;Outdoor Access;Growth Performance;Carcass Traits;Meat Quality
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists 1990. Official methods of analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 15th Edn. Ed. Ass. Off. Analyt. Chemists, Washington.
- Bassler, A. and P. Ciszuk P. 2002. Pilot studies in organic broiler production - management and cross-breeds. Ekologiskt lantbruk 34.
- Berri, C., N. Wacrenier, N. Millet and E. Le Bihan-Duval. 2001. Effect of selection for improved body composition on muscle and meat characteristics of broilers from experimental and commercial lines. Poult. Sci. 80:833-838. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.7.833
- Castellini, C., C. Berri, E. Le Bihan-Duval and G. Martino. 2008. Qualitative attributes and consumer perception of organic and free-range poultry meat. World's Poult. Sci. J. 64:500-513. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933908000172
- Castellini, C., A. Dal Bosco, C. Mugnai and M. Bernardini. 2002a. Performance and behaviour of chickens with different growing rate reared according to the organic system. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 1:291-300.
- Castellini, C., A. Dal Bosco, C. Mugnai and M. Pedrazzoli. 2006. Comparision of two chicken genotypes organically reared: oxidative stability and other qualitative traits of the meat. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 5:29-42.
- Castellini, C., C. Mugnai and A. Dal Bosco. 2002b. Effect of organic production system on broiler carcas and meat quality. Meat Sci. 60:219-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00124-3
- Castellini, C., C. Mugnai and A. Dal Bosco. 2002c. Meat quality of three chicken genotypes reared according to the organic system. Ital. J. Food Sci. 14:401-412.
- Commission Internationale de l'E´ clairage (CIE). 1978. Recommendations on uniform color spaces, color-difference equations, psychometric color terms. Suppl. 2 to CIE Publ. No. 15 (E-1.3.1.) 1971/(TC-1-3). Central Bureau of the Commission Internationale de l'E´ clairage, Paris, France.
- Cross, H. R., R. Moen and S. Stanfield. 1978. Guidelines for cookery and sensory evaluation of meat. American Meat Society Association (Ed.) Chicago.
- Debut, M., C. Berri, E. Baeza, N. Sellier, C. Arnould, D. Guemene, N. Jehl, B. Boutten, Y. Jego, C. Beamont and E. Le Bihan-Duval. 2003. Variation of chicken technological meat quality in relation to genotype and pre slaughter stress conditions. Poult. Sci. 82:1829-1838. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.12.1829
- Fanatico, A. C., L. C. Cavitt, P. B. Pillai, J. L. Emmert and C. M. Owens. 2005. Evaluation of slower-growing broiler genotypes grown with and without outdoor access: meat quality. Poult. Sci. 84:1785-1790. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.11.1785
- Fanatico, A. C., P. B. Pillai, L. C. Cavitt, J. L. Emmert, J. F. Meullenet and C. M. Owens. 2006. Evaluation of slower-growing broiler genotypes grown with and without outdoor access: sensory attributes. Poult. Sci. 85:337-343. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.2.337
- Fanatico, A. C., P. B. Pillai, J. L. Emmert, E. E. Gbur, J. F. Meullenet and C. M. Owens. 2007a. Sensory attributes of slow- and fast-growing chicken genotypes raised indoors or with outdoor access. Poult. Sci. 86:2441-2449. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00092
- Fanatico, A. C., P. B. Pillai, J. L. Emmert and C. M. Owens. 2007b. Meat quality of slow- and fast-growing chicken genotypes fed low-nutrient or standard diets and raised indoors or with outdoor access. Poult. Sci. 86:2245-2255. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.10.2245
- Fletcher, D. L. 2002. Poultry meat quality. World's Poult. Sci. J. 58:131-145. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS20020013
- Gordon, S. H. and D. R. Charles. 2002. Niche and organic chicken products. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham.
- Grashorn, M. A. 2006. Fattening performance, carcass and meat quality of slow and fast growing broiler strains under intensive and extensive feeding conditions. Page 249 in XII Eur. Poult. Conf., Verona, Italy. (Ed. I. Romboli, D. Flock, and A. Franchini). World's Poult. Sci. Assoc., Italian Branch, Bologna, Italy.
- Grashorn, M. A. and G. Brose. 1997. Quality assurance in label programs for chicken meat. Poultry meat quality. Proc. XIII Europ. Symp. Quality Poult. Meat. 21-26 September, 1997, Poznan, Poland: pp. 619-624.
- Grunert, K. G., L. Bredahl and K. Brunso. 2004. Consumer perception of meat quality and implications for product development in the meat sector - a review. Meat Sci. 69:259-272.
- Havenstein, G. B., P. R. Ferket and M. A. Qureshi. 2003. Carcass composition and yield of 1957 versus 2001 broiler when fed representative 1957 and 2001 broiler diets. Poult. Sci. 82:1509-1518. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.10.1509
- Hermansen, J. E. 2003. Organic livestock production systems and appropriate development in relation to public expectations. Livest. Prod. Sci. 80:3-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00313-5
- Honikel, K. O. 1998. Reference methods for the assessment of physical characteristics of meat. Meat Sci. 49:447-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00034-5
- Husak, R. L., J. G. Sebranek and K. A. Bregendahl. 2008. Survey of commercially available broilers marketed as organic, freerange, and conventional broilers for cooked meat yields, meat composition and relative value. Poult. Sci. 87:2367-2376. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00294
- Janocha, A., M. Osek and A. Milczarek. 2004. The effect of broiler chicken origin on growth performance and post slaughter parameters. Zesz. Nauk. Przegl. Hod. 73:79-85.
- Komprda, T., J. Zelenka, E. Fajmonova, A. Jarosova and I. Kubis. 2000. Meat quality of broilers fattened deliberately slow by cereal mixtures to higher age: 1. Growth and sensory quality. Arch. Geflugelkd. 64:167-174.
- Latter-Dubois, E. 2000. Poulets fermiers: Leurs qualite's nutritionnelle et organoleptiques et la perception du consommateur. M.S. Faculte' des Sciences de l'Agriculture et de L'Alimentation. Univ. Laval, Quebec, Canada.
- Lewis, P. D., G. C. Perry, L. J. Farmer and R. L. S. Patterson. 1997. Responses of two genotypes of chicken to the diets and stocking densities typical of UK and "Label Rouge" systems: I. Performance, behaviour and carcass composition. Meat Sci. 45:501-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00084-8
- Lonergan, S. M., N. Deeb, C. A. Fedler and S. J. Lamont. 2003. Breast meat quality and composition in unique chicken populations. Poult. Sci. 82(12):1990-1994. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.12.1990
- Muriel, A. and M. R. Pascual. 1995. Carcass and meat characteristics from free-range chickens. Proc. XII Europ. Symp. Quality Poult. Meat. 25-29 September, 1995, Zaragoza, Spain: pp. 219-224.
- Network for Animal Health and Welfare in Organic Agriculture. 2002. Final recommendation and comments. http://www.veeru.reading.ac.uk/organic/
- Nielsen, B. L., M. G. Thomsen, D. B. Sorensen and J. F. Young. 2003. Feed and strain effects on the use of outdoor areas by broilers. Br. Poult. Sci. 44:161-169. https://doi.org/10.1080/0007166031000088389
- Oeckel, M. J. van, N. Warnants and Ch. V. Bouquee. 1999. Comparison of different methods for measuring water holding capacity and juiciness of pork versus on-line screening methods. Meat Sci. 5:1313-320.
- Peisker, K. 1964. A rapid semi-micro method for preparation of methyl esters from triglycerides using chloroform, methanol, sulphuric acid. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 11:87-90.
- Peter, W., S. Danicke, H. Jeroch, M. Wicke and G. von Lengerken. 1997. Influence of intensity of nutrition on selected parameters of carcass and meat quality of French Label type chickens. Arch. Geflugelkd. 61:110-116.
- Pietrzak, D., J. Mroczek, E. Lesnik and E. Swierczewska. 2006. Quality of meat and fat from three breeding lines of chickens served feed with or without antibiotic growth stimulator. Med. Wet. 62:917-921.
- Pikul, J., D. E. Leszczynski and F. A. Kummerow. 1989. Evaluation of three modified TBA methods for measuring lipid oxidation in chicken meat. J. Agric. Food Chem. 37:1309-1313. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00089a022
- Santos, A. L., N. K. Sakomura, E. R. Freitas, C. M. S. Fortes and E. N. M. Carrilho. 2005. Comparison of free range broiler chicken strains raised in confined or semi-confined systems. Braz. J. Poult. Sci. 7:85-92.
- StatSoft Inc. Statistica (data analysis software system). 2007. version 8.0 www.statsoft.com.
- Tang, H., Y. Z. Gong, C. X. Wu, J. Jiang, Y. Wang and K. Li. 2009. Variation of meat quality traits among five genotypes of chicken. Poult. Sci. 88:2212-2218. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00036
- Wang, K. H., S. R. Shi, T. C. Dou and H. J. Sun. 2009. Effect of a free-range raising system on growth performance, carcass yield, and meat quality of slow-growing chicken. Poult. Sci. 88:2219-2223. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00423
- Effects of access to pasture on performance, carcass composition, and meat quality in broilers: A meta-analysis1 vol.93, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03499
- Quality Function Deployment in the Organic Animal Food Sector: Application to Poultry Meat vol.14, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2015.4050
- High-throughput sequencing technology to reveal the composition and function of cecal microbiota in Dagu chicken vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12866-016-0877-2
- 4. Quality of Poultry Meat from Native Chicken Breeds – A Review vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1515/aoas-2016-0004
- Comparison of Carcass Characteristics, Meat Quality, and Blood Parameters of Slow and Fast Grown Female Broiler Chickens Raised in Organic or Conventional Production System vol.29, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0812
- Comparison of growth performance and carcass traits of Japanese quails reared in conventional, pasture, and organic conditions vol.45, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000100002
- Linhagens de frangos caipiras criadas em sistema semi-intensivo em região de clima quente vol.51, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/s0100-204x2016001200012
- Use of n-alkanes for determination of Kikuyu grass (Pennisetum clandestinum) intake in free-range broilers vol.56, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN14778
- Poultry meat production in free-range systems: perspectives for tropical areas vol.73, pp.02, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933917000034
- Influence of swimming time in alleviating the deleterious effects of hot summer on growing Muscovy duck performance vol.96, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex207
- The Effect of Grass Pasture on the Performance of Slowly Growing Chickens vol.64, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11118/actaun201664051435
- Artificial selection for improved energy efficiency is reaching its limits in broiler chickens vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-19231-2
- Fattening performance and meat quality of Pekin ducks under different rearing systems vol.74, pp.01, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S004393391700099X
- Current state and achievements in poultry production in the Republic of Serbia and its future perspectives in line with EU standards pp.1743-4777, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933918000715
- Carcass Quality, Meat Quality and Sensory Properties of the Dual-Purpose Chicken Lohmann Dual vol.7, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/foods7100156
- Effects of aging on characteristics of breast meat from free-range broiler hens at 12 or 70 weeks of age vol.58, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN16523
- Effects of a meal feeding regimen and the availability of fresh alfalfa on growth performance and meat and bone quality of broiler genotypes vol.59, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2018.1440378
- Meat quality of chicken of different crossings in alternative system vol.70, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-4162-9401