- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Influence of Dietary Phytoadditive as Polyherbal Combination on Performance of Does and Respective Litters in Cross Bred Dairy Goats
- Mirzaei, F. (Livestock Production and Management Division, National Dairy Research Institute) ;
- Prasad, S. (Dairy Cattle Nutrition Division, National Dairy Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.02.02
- Accepted : 2011.04.13
- Published : 2011.10.01
The aim of the present work was to study the effects of a polyherbal supplement on cross bred does, starting from the last month of pregnancy to weaning, on milk yield, kid birth weight and growth rate. Thirty does were divided into three treatments of ten each in individual pens: low level supplementation (LS), high level supplementation (HS) and non-supplemented treatment (NS) as control. Low supplemented goats were given 125 mg/kg BW/d of polyherbal combination; high supplemented goats were given 250 mg/kg BW/d. The study was carried out in 2008. Fifty-nine kids were born from all the experimental animals. There was no difference on milk yield between supplemented groups and control (p>0.05), although polyherbal supplementation had positive effect on litter birth weight and growth rate compared to control. Weaning weights were higher (p<0.001) in LS and HS compared to NS does. In both supplemented treatments compared to control, mortalities and morbidities were also lower in kids born. It is concluded that pre-partum to weaning supplementation increases kids growth rates and weaning weights, as well as reduces kid mortalities, but it doesn't have significant effect on milk production.
- AOAC. 2007. Official methods of analysis. (17th Edn.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis, 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Beyan, M. 2009. Effect of Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) seeds as feed additive on production performance of dairy goats. Ph.D Thesis. National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), Karnal, India.
- Berhane, M. and V. P. Singh. 2002. Effect of feeding indigenous galactopoietics feed supplements on milk production in crossbred cows. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 72(7):609-611.
- Confessor, M. V., L. E. Mendonca, J. S. Mourao and Rr. R. Alves. 2009. Animals to heal animals: ethno- veterinary practices in semi- arid region, Northeastern Brazil, Journal of Ethno-biology and Ethno-medicine 5:37. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-4269-5-37
- Dubeuf, J. 2005. Structural, market and organisational conditions for developing goat dairy production systems. Small Rumin. Res. 60 (1-2):67-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.06.015
- Greyling, J. P. C. 2000. Reproduction traits in the Boer goat doe. Small Rumin. Res. 36(2):171-177. Doi: 10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00161-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00161-3
- Gruner L and Chabert Y (Eds.) 2000. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Goats, Vol. 2. Institute de l'Elevage, Tours, France, p. 1049.
- Haenlein, G. F. W. and M. H. Fahmy. 1999. Role of small ruminants in the supply of animal products. In: Proceedings of the Special Symposium of IGA, HPI and WAAP at Eighth orld Conference on Animal Production, Seoul, South Korea. Small Rumin. Res. 34:175-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00071-1
- Haenlein, G. F. W. 2001. Past, present, and future perspectives of small ruminant research. J. Dairy Sci. 84:2097-2115. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74655-3
- Haenlein, G. F. W. 1992. Role of goat meat and milk in human nutrition. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Goats, Vol. II, part II. Indian Council of Agricultural Research Publishers, New Delhi, India, pp. 575-580.
- Harvey, W. R. 1990. Mixed model least squares and maximum likelihood computer program. Walter R. Harvey. The Ohio State University, Columbus (Mimeo).
- Hussein, A. A. and A. M. Badr. 2008. Influence of antepartum administration of immunopotentiators on reproductive efficacy of buffalo and viability of their newborn. Vet. Ital. 44(2):373‐382.
- Mason, I. L. 1981. Classification and distribution of goat breeds. In: Genetic Resources of Pig, Sheep and Goats (Ed. K. Maijala). World Animal Science B8. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 405-411.
- Matika, O. and V. Maphosa. 1992. Assessment of kid mortality in goats reared under a semi-extensive system. Matopos Research Station, Bulawayo, Annual Report, Government of Zimbabwe, pp. 24-27.
- Meyer, H. H. 2001. Biochemistry and physiology of anabolic hormones used for improvement of meat production. APMIS: acta pathologica, microbiologica, et immunologica Scandinavica, 109(1):1-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0463.2001.tb00010.x
- Mitra, S. K., S. Gopumadhavan, M. V. Venkataranganna, D. N. Sharma and K. Anturlikar. 1999. Uterine tonic activity of U-3107, a herbal preparation in rats. Indian J. Pharmacol. 31(3):200-203.
- Morand-Fehr, P. and J. Boyazoglu. 1999. Present state and future outlook of the small ruminant sector. Small Rumin. Res. 34:175-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00071-1
- NRC. 1981. Nutrient requirements of goats: angora, dairy and meat goats in temperate and tropical countries. National Academic Sciences, Washington, DC.
- Pandey, S. K., A. Sahay, R. S. Pandey and Y. B. Tripathi. 2005. Effect of Asparagus racemosus rhizome (Shatavari) on mammary gland and genital organs of pregnant rat. Phytother. Res. 19(8):721-724. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1590
- Price, M. L., S. Van Scoyoc and L. G. Butler. 1978. A critical evaluation of the vanillin reaction as an assay for tannin in sorghum. J. Agric. Food Chem. 26:1214-1218. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60219a031
- Qureshi, Z. I., L. A. Lodhi and A. Sattar. 1997. An apparent effect of immunopotentiation during late gestation on the postpartum reproductive performance of Nili-Ravi buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Veterinary Research Communication 21(5):375-380. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005876724096
- Rajkhowa, S., G. C. Hazarika, G. N. Dutta and B. N. Neog. 2001. Comparative efficacy of EHb, a herbo mineral complex, and Chelated iron in the prevention and control of piglet anaemia. Phytomedica 2(1,2):31-35.
- Rana, Z. S., D. S. Balaine and S. Ram. 1981. Defining Beetal goats. A useful breed of North India. Livestock Adviser 6:26-28.
- Rubino, R., P. Morand-Fehr, C. Renieri, C. Peraza and F. M. Sarti. 1999. Typical products of the small ruminant sector and the factors affecting their quality. Small Rumin. Res. 34:289-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00080-2
- Sattar, A., L. A. Lodhi, Z. I. Qureshi, I. Ahmad and N. A. Naz. 2003a. Efficacy of immunopotentiators on postpartum reproductive performance in Sahiwal cows. Pakistan Veterinary Journal 23(3):130-133.
- Sattar, A. L. A. Lodhi, I. Ahmad, Z. I. Qureshi and N. Ahmad. 2003b. Study of some production traits in cows and their calves after immunostimulation of pregnant dams during late gestation. PakistanVeterinary Journal 23:169-172.
- Sattar, A., R. H. Mirza and S. M. I. Hussain. 2007. Effect of prepartum treatment of vitamin e-selenium on postpartum reproductive and productive performance of exotic cows and their calves under subtropical conditions. Pakistan Veterinary Journal 27(3):105-108.
- Sikosana, J. L. N., J. Mangena and T. Vela. 1990. Growth and reproductive performance of young indigenous does given supplementary feed during the dry season. Matopos Research Station, Bulawayo, Annual Report, Government of Zimbabwe, pp. 36-41.
- Tawonezvi, H. P. R. and H. K. Ward. 1987. Productivity of indigenous sheep and goats. 1. Environmental influences on performance of sheep. Zimbabwe Journal of Agricultural Research 25:41-49.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- WHO 2008. http://www.who.int/dg/speeches/2008/20081107/en/index.html