- Volume 24 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Determination of Adequate Method for Protein Extraction from Rice Bran and the Substitution of Dried Skim Milk with Protein Concentrate from Rice Bran in Early Weaned Pigs
- Phipek, W. (Pranakhon Rajabhat University) ;
- Nagasinha, C. (Pranakhon Rajabhat University) ;
- Vallisuth, S. (Pranakhon Rajabhat University) ;
- Nongyao, C. (Pranakhon Rajabhat University)
- Received : 2011.01.22
- Accepted : 2011.07.28
- Published : 2011.09.01
The present study was conducted to determine a feasible method of protein concentrate extraction from rice bran (RBPC) and its effect as a substitution for skim milk in early weaning pig diets. An investigation to extract protein concentrate from full fat rice bran was undertaken to determine the best ratio of water and rice bran, the amount of NaOH and a HCl solvent to use in a simple paddle-type mixer with modified spinning to produce RBPC. The results stated that the best ratio for water mixing in the RBPC extraction process was 1:5 with 20 g NaOH and 30 min in a paddle-type mixer at 300 rpm. A mix of 250 ml 0.2 N HCl was optimum for neutralization and protein precipitation. After the fluid was spun out with a washing machine, the sediment was left for 12-14 hours to complete the filtration. One kilogram of rice bran could produce an average of 324.5 gram RBPC and it contained 3.40% ash, 496.48 kcal of GE/100 gram, 1.94% crude fiber, 28.20% ether extract, 7.64% moisture and 16.66% crude protein, respectively. A total of 45 crossbred piglets, weaned at 3 weeks of age were allotted into control diet (A) and dietary treatments formulated with a four different rates of RBPC substitution for skim milk at a percentage of 25 (B), 50 (C), 77 (D) and 100 (E) respectively, in a randomized complete block (RCB) design. All piglets had free access to feed and water until 8 week of age when the experiment ended. Feed intake, average daily gain, growth rate and feed efficiency were not affected by dietary treatments. Blood test parameters after completion of the growth trial indicated normal health. Even though the mean of cell hemoglobin concentration was significantly different between treatments (p<0.05) it was still within the normal range. The cost difference for BW gain of 100% RBPC substituted for skim milk in the weaning diet was approximately 35% lower than that of the control and the relative cost of production was 96.67, 92.85, 70.75 and 64.48% lower for the replacement of 25, 50, 75 and 100% of skim milk respectively. These results implied that this technology is feasible for use by small scale farmers to improve their self-reliance.
- AOAC.1990. Association of official analytical chemist. Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 15th Ed. Gaithersburg, USA: AOAC Press; 1990.
- Cameron, D. A. Ranald. 2000. A review of the industrialization of pig production worldwide with particular reference to the Asian region. Brisbane Australia.
- Coner, M. A., R. M. Saunder and G. O. Kohler. 1976. Rice bran protein concentrates obtained by wet alkaline extraction. Cereal Chem. 53:486-496.
- Damodaran, S. 1996. Functional property. pp. 167-234. In: Food (Ed. S. Nakai and H. W. Modler) 46:364-367. Protein Properties and Characterization. VHC Publishers, New York.
- Gnanasambandam, R. and N. S. Hettiarachchy. 1995. Protein concentrates from unstabilized and methods of protein solubilization. Cereal Chem. 74(5):662-668.
- Hamada, J. S. 1997. Characterization of protein fractions of rice bran to devise effective. Nahrung/Food 47(6):420-424.
- http://www.fao.org/docrep/t0568e/T0567Eg.htm.Hypocholesterol anemic effect of rice bran (Retrieved: March 20,2010).
- Jiamyangyuen, S., V. Srijesdaruk and W. J. Harper. 2005. Extraction of rice bran protein concentrate and its application in bread. Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol. 27(1):55-64.
- Juliano, B. O. 1985. Rice chemistry and technology. American Association of Cereal Chemists. Minnesota: St. Paul.
- Landers, P. S. and B. R. Markerr. 1994. Antigenic properties of albumin, globulin and protein concentrate fraction from rice barn. Cereal Chem. 71(5):409-411.
- Lasztity, R. 1996. The chemistry of cereal proteins (2nd ed.). Florida : CRC Press, Inc. Boca Raton,
- Monkolkanchanasiri, S. 2002. Protein concentrate production from rice barn. Master Thesis. Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand (in Thai).
- Nongyao, C. 1974. Effect of different processed soybeans in early weaning pig diet. Master Thesis. Graduate School ,Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand (in Thai).
- Qureshi, A., S. Samai and F. Khan. 2002. Effects of stabilized rice bran, its soluble and fiber fractions on blood glucose levels and serum lipid parameters in humans with diabetes mellitus Types I and II. J. Nutr. Biochem. 13:175-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(01)00211-X
- Riewklang, K. 2002. Soluble protein extraction from rice. Master Thesis. Graduate School, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand (in Thai).
- Saunders, R. M. 1990. The properties of rice bran as a foodstuff. Cereal Foods World, 35:634-636.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. Statistical Methods, eighth edition. Iowa State University Press.
- Shia, F. F. 2003. Review: An update on the processing of high protein rice products. Stabilized rice bran: preparation and properties. J. Food Sci. 60(5):1066-1069.
- Sumner, A. K., M. A. Nielsen and C. G. Youngs. 1981. Production and evaluation of pea protein isolate. J. Food Sci. 46:364-372. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1981.tb04862.x
- Tancho, A. 1988. Study on germinated soybean as early weaning pig diet. Master Thesis. Graduate School, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand (in Thai).
- Theerakulkiat, C., S. Chiserre and S. Mongkolkanchanasiri. 2006. Extraction and some properties of rice bran protein concentrate. Report. Faculty of Agiculture industry. Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand (in Thai).
- Uechiewchankit, K. 1975. Effect of steam soybean soak in acid or base solution and soybean meal in early weaning diet. Master Thesis. Graduate School ,Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand (in Thai).
- Wang, M., N. S. Hettiarachchy, M. Qi, W. Burks and T. Siebenmorgen. 1999. Preparation and functional properties of rice bran protein isolate. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47(2):411-416. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9806964