- Volume 24 Issue 9
The aim of this study was to determine the usefulness of vegetable wastes as silage for ruminants. Varying amounts of wheat straw (WS), wheat bran (WB) and salt (S) were combined with minced vegetable wastes (VW) during ensilage. Seven different ingredient combinations were investigated viz: 100% VW (Group I, control), 90% VW+9% WS+1% S (Group II), 80% VW+15% WS+4% WB+1% S (Group III), 70% VW+20% WS+9% WB+1% S (Group IV), 90% VW+9% WB+1% S (Group V), 80% VW+15% WB+4% WS+1% S (Group VI) and 70% VW+20% WB+9% WS+1% S (Group VII). The inclusion of straw and bran increased (p<0.01) the DM content of silage. The highest contents of the pure silage were CP (p<0.001), EE (p<0.01) and NFE (p<0.05). NDF contents of VW silage and group V were significantly lower and especially the VW silage was found to have the lowest ADL content (p<0.01). The in vitro ME values of VW silage and bran added silage were higher than other groups (p<0.01). pH, lactic acid and acetic acid values of silage groups were changed between 4.09-4.20, 2.43-3.46% and 0.60-0.86%, respectively. In conclusion, different mixtures of VW have a high ensilage capacity and can serve as an alternative roughage source for ruminants. The addition of 9% bran significantly improved the silage in view of both dry matter content and nutritive value.
Vegetable Wastes;Silage Quality;Ruminants
- Alcicek, A., S. Tümer and H. Ozkul. 2000. A preliminary study on nutritive content and feed value of leafed artichoke silage as a roughage. Ege Uni. Agri. Fac. Journal. 37(2-3):27-34.
- Anonymous, 2008a. Animal Production Statistics-2008. Prime Ministry of Republic of Turkey, Turkish Statistical Institute.
- Anonymous, 2008b. Plant Production Statistics-2008. Prime Ministry of Republic of Turkey, Turkish Statistical Institute.
- Asbell, G. and E. Donahaye. 1984. Losses in orange peel silage. Agric. Wastes. 14:73-77.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis, 16th ed. Association of Official Agricultural Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Bakshi, M. P. S., M. Wadhwa, S. Kaushal and A. Ameir. 2006. Nutritional value of ensiled fruit and vegetable wastes. Improving Animal Productivity by Supplementary Feeding of Multinutrient Blocks, Controlling Internal Parasites and Enhancing Utilization of Alternate Feed Resources, pp. 191-196.
- Crampton, E. W. and L. A. Maynard. 1938. The relation of cellulose and lignin content to the nutritive value of animal feeds. J. Nutr. p. 15:383.
- DLG, 1987. Bewertung von grünfutter, silage und heu. Merkblatt, no: 224, DLG-Verlag. Frankfurt am Main. 112 p.
- Dogan, B. 2008. Potential of vegetable-fruit wastes of markets in Bornova district of Izmir province as animal feed. Ege Uni. Division of Environmental Sciences, (MS thesis, unpublished). p. 34.
- Erdem, A. 2005. Solid waste management congress. 25-27 May, Izmir. pp. 1-9.
- Ensminger, M. E., J. E. Oldfield and W. W. Heineman. 1990. Feed and Nutrition (Second Ed.) The Ensminger Publishing Company, Clavis, California.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analyses. Agriculture Handbook, no: 379, Washington DC. USA. p. 829.
- Gunduz, E. 2007. The study on the ensiling of the mixture of vegetables and fruits taken from the residues of market and market hall and the level's of goat's consumption. Ege Uni. Institute of Science and Technology, Izmir. (MS thesis, unpublished). p. 48.
- Hersom, M. J. 2006. By-product feed utilization for forage diets. Florida Beef Cattle Short Course. p. 10.
- Khorshed, M. M., S. A. H. Abo El-Nor and S. M. Kholif. 2006. Effects of supplementing some chemical agents to ensiled vegetable and fruit market wastes on silage quality and digestibility coefficients (in vitro and in vivo). JKAU: Med. Env. Arid Land Agric. Sci. 17(2):53-64.
- Kilic, A. 1986. Silage. Bilgehan Publishing, Izmir. p. 327.
- Kilic, A. 2000. Forage production and its problems. Turkey Agriculture Engineering V. Technique Congress, 17-21 January, Ankara. I.skin. p. 845-858.
- Kilic, A. 2005. Determination of roughages quality. Hasad Publishing, Izmir. pp. 11-18.
- Kinh, L. V., V. N. Trung, P. H. Ninh, P. V. Sy, N. V. Phu and L. H. Chau. 2010. Rice bran as ingredient for ensiling fresh cashew apple in laboratory. (http://www.iasvn.org/uploads/files/rice_bran_ 0521144646.pdf).
- Kirchgessner, M., R. J. Kellner, F. X. Roth and K. Ranfft. 1977. Zur schatzung des futterwertes mittels rohfaser und der zellwandfraktionen der detergentien-analyse. Landwirtsch. Forsch. 30:245-250.
- Meneses, M., M. D. Meg´ıas, J. Madrid, A. Mart´ınez-Teruel, F. Hern´andez and J. Oliva. 2007. Evaluation of the phytosanitary, fermentative and nutritive characteristics of the silage made from crude artichoke (Cynara scolymus L.) by-product feeding for ruminants. Small Rumin. Res. 70:292-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2006.05.008
- Naumann, C. and R. Bassler. 1993. Die chemische untersuchung von futtermitteln, Methodenbuch, Band III, VDLUFA-Verlag, Frankfurt.
- Sarıçiçek, B. Z., M. Zincirlioglu and A. Yılmaz. 1994. Grown in the Black Sea region as a silage evaluation of some plants and plant residues. Nineteen May Uni. Agric. Fac. Journal, 9(3): 129-141.
- Sarıcicek, B. Z., G. Erener and C. Sarıcan. 1997. Ensiling possibilities of some plant residues. Tr. J. Agric. Forestry. 21:135-140.
- SPSS. 2002. SPSS for Windows Advanced Statistics Release 11.5, SPSS Inc. Chicago-Illinois.
- TS. 2004. Turkish Standard Institute. Animal feeds-metabolizable energy analyses (chemical method). TS 9610. Ankara, Turkey.
- Vural, H., D. Esiyok and İ. Duman. 2000. Crops. Ege Uni. Publishing, Izmir. p. 45.
- Wadhwa, M., S. Kaushal and M. P. S. Bakshi. 2006. Nutritive evaluation of vegetable wastes as complete feed for goat bucks. Small Rumin. Res. 64:279-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.05.017