- Volume 24 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Maturational Changes in Binding Capacity of Fowl Sperm to the Epithelium of the Sperm Storage Tubules during Their Passage through the Male Reproductive Tract
- Ahammad, Muslah U. (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Okamoto, S. (Faculty of Agriculture, Kagoshima University) ;
- Kawamoto, Yasuhiro (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Nakada, T. (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus)
- Received : 2011.04.15
- Accepted : 2011.07.29
- Published : 2011.09.01
The objective of this study was to examine the binding potential of sperm to the epithelium of the sperm storage tubules (SST) in vitro and in vivo to assess the functional maturation of fowl sperm. Sperm from the testis, epididymis, as well as the proximal, middle and distal vas deferens were incubated in vitro with either the uterovaginal junction (UVJ)- or infundibular tissue containing SST at
- Ahammad, M. U., C. Nishino, H. Tatemoto, N. Okura, S. Okamoto, Y. Kawamoto and T. Nakada. 2011. Maturational changes in motility, acrosomal proteolytic activity, and penetrability of the inner perivitelline layer of fowl sperm, during their passage through the male genital tract. Theriogenology 76:1100-1109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2011.05.017
- Aitken, R. J. and J. S. Clarkson. 1988. Significance of reactive oxygen species and antioxidants in defining the efficacy of sperm preparation techniques. J. Androl. 9:367-376.
- Ashizawa, K. and H. Nishiyama. 1983. Prolonged survival of fowl spermatozoa in the oviducal tissues in organ culture. Br. Poult. Sci. 24:27-32. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668308416710
- Bakst, M. R. 1998. Structure of the avian oviduct with emphasis on sperm storage in poultry. J. Exp. Zool. 282:618-626. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-010X(199811/12)282:4/5<618::AID-JEZ11>3.0.CO;2-M
- Bakst, M. R., G. J. Wishart and J. P. Brillard. 1994. Oviductal sperm selection, transport, and storage in poultry. Poult. Sci. Rev. 5:117-143.
- Brillard, J. P. and M. R. Bakst. 1990. Quantification of spermatozoa in the sperm-storage tubules of turkey hens and the relation to sperm numbers in the perivitelline layer of eggs. Biol. Reprod. 43:271-275. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod43.2.271
- Burrows, W. H. and J. P. Quinn. 1935. A method of obtaining spermatozoa from the domestic fowl. Poult. Sci. 14:251-254. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0140251
- Chalah, T., F. Seigneurin, E. Blesbois and J. P. Brillard. 1999. In vitro comparison of fowl sperm viability in ejaculates frozen by three different techniques and relationship with subsequent fertility in vivo. Cryobiology 39:185-191. https://doi.org/10.1006/cryo.1999.2201
- Douard, V., D. Hermier, M. Magistrini, E. Blesbois. 2005. Role of seminal plasma in damage to turkey spermatozoa during in vitro storage. Theriogenology 63:126-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.03.020
- Esponda, P. and J. M. Bedford. 1985. Surface of the rooster spermatozoa changes in passing through the Wolffian duct. J. Exp. Zool. 234:441-449. https://doi.org/10.1002/jez.1402340311
- Howarth, B. Jr. 1990. Fertility following intrauterine insemination near the time of oviposition. Poult. Sci. 69:138-141. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0690138
- Howarth, B. Jr. 1983. Fertilizing ability of cock spermatozoa from the testis, epididymis and vas deferens following intramagnal insemination. Biol. Reprod. 28:586-590. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod28.3.586
- Jones, R. C. and M. Lin. 1993. Spermatogenesis in birds. Oxf. Rev. Reprod. Biol. 15:233-64.
- Lake, P. E. and O. Ravie. 1988. Effect of trypsin and neuraminidase on fowl spermatozoa and their retention in the oviduct. In: Proceedings of the 18th World's Poultry Congress, Nagoya, Japan. pp. 594-596.
- Morris, S. A., B. Jr. Howarth, J. W. Crim, D. E. Rodriguez, S. Cordoba, P. Esponda, and J. M. Bedford. 1987. Specificity of sperm-binding Wolffian duct proteins in the rooster and their persistence on spermatozoa in the female host glands. J. Exp. Zool. 242:189-198. https://doi.org/10.1002/jez.1402420210
- Pe'rez, F. A., S. M. Roma, M. O. Cabada and P. E. Marini. 2006. Sperm binding glycoprotein is differentially present surrounding the lumen of isthmus and ampulla of the pig's oviduct. Anat. Embryol. 211:619-624. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00429-006-0114-0
- Peterson, R. N., L. Russel, D. Bundman and M. Freund. 1980. Sperm-egg interaction: evidence for boar sperm plasma membrane receptors for porcine zona pellucida. Science 207:73-74. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7188647
- Petrunkina, A. M., R. Gehlhaar, W. Drommer, D. Waberski and E. Topfer-Petersen. 2001. Selective sperm binding to pig oviductal epithelium in vitro. Reproduction 121:889-896. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.0.1210889
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-0. (URL:http://www.R-project.org).
- Robertson, L., G. J. Wishart and A. J. Horrocks. 2000. Identification of perivitelline N-linked glycans as mediators of sperm-egg interactions in chickens. Reproduction 120:397-403. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.1200397
- Steel, M. G. and G. J. Wishart. 1996. Demonstration that the removal of sialic acid from the surface of chicken spermatozoa impedes their transvaginal migration. Theriogenology 46:1037-1044. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(96)00268-3
- Van Krey, H. P., F. X. Ogasawara and J. Pangborn. 1967. Light and electron microscopic studies of possible sperm gland emptying mechanisms. Poult. Sci. 46:69-78. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0460069
- Waberski, D., F. Magnus, F. Ardon, A. M. Petrunkina, K. F. Weitze and E. Topfer-Petersen. 2006. Binding of boar spermatozoa to oviductal epithelium in vitro in relation to sperm morphology and storage time. Reproduction 131:311-318. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.1.00814
- Zavaleta, D. and F. Ogasawara. 1987. A review of the mechanism of the release of spermatozoa from storage tubules in the fowl and turkey oviduct. World's Poult. Sci. J. 43:132-139 https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19870010