- Volume 24 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Association of Polymorphisms in Fecundity Genes of GDF9, BMP15 and BMP15-1B with Litter Size in Iranian Baluchi Sheep
- Moradband, F. (Laboratory for Molecular Genetics and Animal Biotechnology, Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Animal and Aquatic Sciences, Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural, Resources University) ;
- Rahimi, G. (Laboratory for Molecular Genetics and Animal Biotechnology, Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Animal and Aquatic Sciences, Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural, Resources University) ;
- Gholizadeh, M. (Laboratory for Molecular Genetics and Animal Biotechnology, Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Animal and Aquatic Sciences, Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural, Resources University)
- Received : 2010.11.23
- Accepted : 2011.04.08
- Published : 2011.09.01
The incidence of mutation in three loci of GDF9, BMP15 and BMP15-1B and their effects on litter sizes was evaluated in Baluchi sheep. Wild-type alleles were detected for BMP15 and BMP15-1B loci and all individuals were found to be as non-carriers for FecB and
BMP15;BMP15-1B;GDF9;Litter Size;Baluchi Sheep
Amiri, E., G. Rahimi and M. Vatankha. 2008. No existence of allelic polymorphism in Boorola (FecB) and Inverdel (
$FecX^I$) genes in Luri-Bakhtiari sheep breed. Journal of Modern Genetics 3(4):57-63.
- Bodin, L., F. Lecerf, C. Pisselet, M. San Cristhal, M. Bibe and P. Mulsant. 2003. How many mutations are associated with increased ovulation rate and litter size in progeny of Lacaune meat sheep? In Proceeding "International Workshop on Major Genes and QTL in Sheep and Goats". INRA, Toulouse, France. pp. 2-11.
- Branet, M. 2010. A note on "amino acids". Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. pp. 16-26.
- Davis, G. H. 2005. Major genes affecting ovulation rate in sheep. Genet. Sel. Evol. 37:11-23. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-37-S1-S11
- Davis, G. H., L. Balakrishnan, I. K. Ross, T. Wilson, S. M. Galloway, B. M. Lumsden, J. P. Hanrahan, M. Mullen, X. Z. Mao and G. L. Wang. 2006. Investigation of the Booroola (FecB) and Inverdale (FecXI) mutations in 21 prolific breeds and strains of sheep sampled in 13 countries. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 92:87-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2005.06.001
- Davis, G. H. 2004. Fecundity genes in sheep. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 82/83:247-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2004.04.001
- Davis, G. H., K. G. Dodds, J. C. McEwan and P. F. Fennessy. 1993. Liveweight, fleece weight and prolificacy of Romney ewes carrying the Inverdale prolificacy gene (FecXI) located on the X-chromosome. Livest. Prod. Sci. 34:83-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(93)90037-I
- Davis, G. H., S. M. Galloway, I. K. Ross, M. S. Gregan, J. Ward, B. V. Nimbkar, P. M. Ghalsasi, C. Nimbkar, G. D. Gray, I. Subandryo, B. Tiesnamurti, E. Martyniuk, E. Eythorsdottir, P. Mulsant, F. Lecerf, J. P. Hanrahan, G. C. Bradford and T. Wilson. 2002. DNA test in prolific sheep from eight countries provide new evidence on origin of the Booroola (FecB) mutation. Biol. Reprod. 66:1869-1874. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod66.6.1869
- Davis, G. H., J. C. McEwan, P. F. Fennessy, K. G. Dodds and P. A. Farquhar. 1991. Evidence for the presence of a major gene influencing ovulation rate on the X chromosome of sheep. Biol. Reprod. 44:620-624. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod44.4.620
- Galloway, S. M., K. P. McNatty, L. M. Cambridge, M. P. E. Laitinen, J. L. Juengel, S. Jokiranta, R. J. McLaren, K. Luiro, K. G. Dodds, G. W. Montgomery, A. E. Beattie, G. H. Davis and O. Ritvos. 2000. Mutations in an oocyte-derived growth factor gene (BMP15) cause increased ovulation rate and infertility in a dosage-sensitive manner. Nat. Genet. 25:279-283. https://doi.org/10.1038/77033
- Ghaffari, M., A. Nejati-Javaremi and G. Rahimi. 2009. Detection of polymorphism in BMPR-IB gene associated with Twining in Shal sheep using PCR-RFLP method. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 11:97-99.
- Guan, F., L. Shou-ren, G. Q. Shi and L. G. Yang. 2007. Polymorphism of FecB gene in nine sheep breeds or strains and its effects on litter size, lamb growth and development. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 99:44-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2006.04.048
- Guan, F., S. R. Liu, G. Q. Shi, J. T. Ai, D. G. Mao and L. G. Yang. 2006. Polymorphism of FecB gene in nine sheep breeds or strains and its effects on litter size, lamb growth and development. Acta Genetica Sinica. 33:117-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-4172(06)60030-9
- Hanrahan, J. P., S. M. Gregan, P. Mulsant, M. Mullen, G. H. Davis, R. Powell and S. Galloway. 2004. Mutations in the genes for oocyte derived growth factors GDF9 and BMP15 are associated with both increased ovulation rate and sterility in Cambridge and Belclare sheep (Ovis aries). Biol. Reprod. 70: 900-909.
- Hua, G. and L. Yang. 2009. A review of research progress of FecB gene in Chinese breeds of sheep. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 116:1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2009.01.001
- Kumar, S., A. P. Kolte, A. K. Mishra, A. L. Arora and V. K. Singh. 2006. Identification of the FecB mutation in Garole×Malpura sheep and its effect on litter size. Small Rumin. Res. 64:305-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.04.030
- Miller, S. A., D. D. Dykes and H. F. Polesky. 1988. A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 16:1215. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/16.3.1215
- Monteagudo, L. V., R. Ponz, M. T. Tejedor, A. Lavina and I. Sierra. 2009. A 17 bp deletion in the bone morphogenetic protein 15 (BMP15) gene is associated to increased prolificacy in the Rasa Aragonesa sheep breed. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 110:139-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2008.01.005
- Montgomery, G. W., A. M. Crawford, J. M. Penty, K. G. Dodds, A. J. Ede H. M. Henry, C. A. Pierson, E. A. Lord, S. M. Galloway, A. E. Schmack, J. A. Sise, P .A. Swarbrick, V. Hanrahan, F. C. Buchanan and D. F. Hill. 1993. The ovine Booroola fecundity gene (FecB) is linked to markers from a region of human chromosome 4q. Nat. Genet. 4:410-414. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng0893-410
- Piper, L. R., B. M. Bindon and G. H. Davis. 1985. The single gene inheritance of the high litter size of the Booroola Merino. In: Genetics of Reproduction in Sheep (Ed. R. B. Land and D. W. Robinson). Butterworths, London, UK, pp. 115-125.
- Polley, S., S. De, B. Brahma, V. Mukherjee, S. Batabyal, J. S. Arora, S. Pan, A. K, Samanta, T. K. Datta and SL. Goswami. 2009. Polymorphism of BMPR1B, BMP15 and GDF9 fecundity genes in prolific Garole sheep. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. DOI: 10.1007/s11250-009-9518-1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9518-1
- Saneei, D. and A. Nejati-Javaremi. 2000. Litter size in Baluchi sheep is controlled by an over-dominant autosomal major gene. 14th International Congress on Animal Reproduction, Sweden. p. 1154.
- Statistical Analysis Systems Institute. 2002. SAS user's guide, version 9.00. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Souza, C. J. C. MacDougall, B. K. Campbell, A. S. McNeilly and D. T. Baird. 2001. The Booroola (FecB) phenotype is associated with a mutation in the bone morphogenetic receptor type 1 B (BMPR1B) gene. J. Endocrinol. 169:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1690001
- Wilson, T., X. Y. Wu, J. L. Juengel, I. K. Ross, J. M. Lumsden, E. A. Lord, K. G. Dodds, G. A. Walling, J. C. McEwan, A. R. O'Connell, K. P. McNatty and G. W. Montgomery. 2001. Highly prolific Booroola sheep have a mutation in the intracellular kinase domain of bone morphogenetic protein IB receptor (ALK-6) that is expressed in both oocytes and granulosa cells. Biol. Reprod. 64:1225-1235. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod64.4.1225
- Yan, Y. D., M. X. Chu, Y. Q. Zeng, L. Fang, S. C. Ye, L. M. Wang, Q. K. Guo, D. Q. Han, Z. X. Zhang, X. J. Wang and X. Z. Zhang. 2005. Study on bone morphogenetic protein receptor IB as a candidate gene for prolificacy in Small Tailed Han sheep and Hu sheep. J. Agric. Biotechnol. 13:66-71.
- A new mutation in exon 2 of the bone morphogenetic protein 15 gene is associated with increase in prolificacy of Mehraban and Lori sheep vol.47, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0799-2
- Computational Molecular Analysis of the Sequences of BMP15 Gene of Ruminants and Non-Ruminants vol.06, pp.02, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojgen.2016.62005
- A review on prolificacy genes in sheep vol.51, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/rda.12733
- mutations and their linkage with litter size in Barki and Rahmani sheep breeds vol.52, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/rda.13002
- qPCR and HRM-based diagnosis of SNPs on growth differentiation factor 9 (GDF9), a gene associated with sheep (Ovis aries) prolificacy vol.7, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13205-017-0837-z
- GDF9 gene polymorphism and its association with litter size in two Russian sheep breeds vol.29, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12210-017-0659-2
- Genome-Wide Association Analyses Highlight the Potential for Different Genetic Mechanisms for Litter Size Among Sheep Breeds vol.9, pp.1664-8021, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2018.00118