- Volume 53 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Cracked Whole Barley on the Carcass Characteristics and Meat Composition in Hanwoo Steers
마쇄보리 사료 급여가 비육후기 거세 한우의 도체 및 식육 특성에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Sang-Moo (School of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyung-pook National University)
- 이상무 (경북대학교 축산BT학부)
- Received : 2011.05.26
- Accepted : 2011.08.16
- Published : 2011.08.31
This study was carried out to investigate the effects of the level of cracked whole barley on daily feed intake, daily body weight gain, carcass characteristics and meat composition of finishing Hanwoo steers (feeding from 24 months to 30 months of age). The dietary treatments were consisted of five types (C; normal concentrate as a basal diet, T1; 10% addition of cracked whole barley, T2; 20% addition of cracked whole barley, T3; 30% addition of cracked whole barley, T4; 40% addition of cracked whole barley). A total 30 Hanwoo steers (588.6
Hanwoo;Cracked whole barley;Meat quality grade;Meat color
- Ahn, B. H., Lyu, J. S., Kang, H. B., Ahn, D.W. and Chung, J. S. 2000. Effects of levels of roughage on performance and beef quality of Hanwoo steers. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42: 619-628.
- Andersen, H. A., Oksbjerg, N., Young, J. F. and Therkildsen, M. 2005. Feeding and meat quality-a future approach. Meat Sci. 70:543-554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.07.015
- A.O.A.C. 1990. Official methods of analysis (15th Ed.) association of official analytical chemists. Washington, D. C.
- Chang, S. S., Hong, S. K., Lee, B. S., Cho, Y. M., Kwon, E. K., Paek, B. H. and Song, M. K. 2006. Effects of feeding levels of barley grains on growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo bulls. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 48:247-254. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.2.247
- Chang, S. S., Oh, Y. K., Kim, K. H., Hong, S. K., Kwon, E. G., Cho, Y. M. Cho, W. M., Eun, J. S., Lee, S. C., Choi, S. H. and Song, M. K. 2007. Effects of dietary barley on the growth performance and carcass characteristics in Hanwoo steers. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49:801-818. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.6.801
- Cone, J. W., Cline-Theil, W., Malestein, A. and Klooster, A. 1989. Degradation of starch by incubation with rumen fluid. A comparison of different starch sources. J. Sci. Food. Agric. 49:173. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740490206
- De Visser, H. and De Groot, A. M. 1980. The influence of the starch and sugar content of concentrations on feed intake, rumen fermentation, production and composition of milk. Proceedings of disease farm animals, Munich, Germany. Fotodruck Frank OHG. P. 41.
- Han, I. K., Chiang, Y. H., Harris, L. E., Kearl, L. C. and Fonnesbeck, P. V. 1983. Korean tables of feed composition. AJAS. p 156-158.
- Isida, T., Kurihara, M., Arata, N., Nishida, T., Purnomoadi, A., Aoki, M., tanaka, Y., Kohno, Y. and Abe, A. Takeshi, I. 1997. Comparative feeding values of whole-shelled or whole steam-rolled corn and whole-shelled or whole steam-rolled barley for dairy cattle. Japan National Institute of Animal Industry. 58: 9-10.
- Kim, B. K., Choi, C. B. and Kim, Y. J. 2009. Effects of dietary mugwort on the performance and meat quality of Hanwoo steers during refrigerated storage. Korean J. Food. Sci. Ani. Resour. 29: 340-348. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.3.340
- Kim, C. J. and Lee, E. S. 2003. Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63:397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- Kim, N. K., Cho, S. H., Lee, S. H., Park, H. R., Lee, C. S., Cho, Y. M., Choy, Y. H., Yoon, D. H., Im, S. K. and Park, E. W. 2008. Proteins in longissimus muscle of Korean native cattle and their relationship to meat quality. Meat Sci. 80, 1068-1073. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.04.027
- Kim, S. H., Byun, S. H., Lee, S. M., Hwang, J. H., Jeon, B, T., Moon, S. H. and Sung, S. H. 2007. Effects of supplementation period and levels of fermented mineral feed (power-mix) on the growth and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steer. Korean J. Food. Sci. Ani. Resour. 27:450-456. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.4.450
- Lee, J. M., Kim, T. W., Kim, J. H., Cho, S. H., Seong, P. N., Jung, M. O., Cho, Y. M., Park, B. Y. and Kim, D. H. 2009. Comparison of chemical, physical and sensory traits of longissimus lumborum Hanwoo beef and Australian Wagyu beef. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 29:91-98. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.1.91
- Lee, S. M. 2007. Effect of dietary supplement level of mineral on the growth, carcass characteristics and economical efficiency of Korean native cattle by rice straw feeding. Korean, J. Life Sci. and Nat. Res. SJNU. 5:113-123.
- Lee, S. M., Kang, T. W., Lee, S. J., Ok, J. U., Moon, Y. H. and Lee, S. S. 2006. Studies on in situ and in vitro degradabilities, microbial growth and gas production of rice, barley and corn. Korean J. Anim. Sci. and Technol. 48:699-708. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.5.699
- Mathison, G. W., Engstrom, D. F. and Macleod, D. D. 1991. Effect of feeding whole and rolled barley to steers in the morning or afternoon in diets containing different proportions of hay and grain. Anim. Prod. 53:321. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100020328
- McAllister, T. A., Cheng, K. J., Rode, L. M. and Forsberg C. W. 1990. Digestion of barley, maize and wheat by selected species of ruminal bacteria. Appl. Environ Microbiol. 56:3146.
- McAllister, T. A., Phillippe, R. C., Rode, L. M. and Cheng, K. J. 1993. Effect of the protein matrix on the digestion of cereal by ruminal microorganism. J. Anim. Sci. 71:205-206. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.711205x
- Mitsumoto, M., Ozawa, S., Mitsuhashi, T. and Yamashita, Y. 1989. The influence of finish weight, sires and kinds of concentrate during the latter fattening period on the carcass characteristics of Japanese black steers. Japan J. Zootech. Sci. 60:351-358.
- Moon, S. S., Yang, H. S., Park, G. B. and Joo, S. T. 2006. The relationship of physiological maturity and marbling judged according to Korean grading system to meat quality traits of Hanwoo beef females. Meat Sci. 74:516-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.027
- Nordin, M. and Campling, R. C. 1976. Digestibility studies with cows given whole and rolled cereal grains. Anim. Prod. 23:305. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100031421
- Obara, Y., Motoi, Y. and Kikuchi, F. 1994. Diurnal changes in rumen fermentation and blood properties in Holstein steers fed a concentrate mixture for fattening and rolled barley. Japan Anim. Sci. technol. 65:217-225.
- O'Keefe, P. W., Wellington, G. H., Mattick, L. R. and Stouffer, J. R. 1968. Composition of bovine muscle lipids at various carcass locations. J. food Sci. 33:188-192. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1968.tb01347.x
- Oohashi, H., Takizawa, H., Morita, H., Nagase, M. and Naruse, M. 1998. Relation between property of fat and meat quality of beef cattle. Res. Bull. Aichi Agric. Res. 30:281-288.
- Park, G. B., Ye, B. H., Moon, S. S., Jin, S. K., Lee, L. L. and Joo, S. T. 2000. effects of conjugated linoleic acid on oxidation of myoglobin in meat. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42:905-914.
- Saito, F., Ikeda, T., Ando, S., Nakai H. and Hashizume, H. 1970. Studies on the influence of different feedstuffs on beef quality. III. Influence of the ground or steamed-rolled barley on the dresses carcass. Japan National Institute of Animal Industry. 22, 7-14.
- SAS. 2003. SAS user's guide. Statistics, version 9.1. SAS institute Inc., Cary. NC, USA.
- Spicer, L. A., Theurer, C. B., Sowe, J. and Noon, T. H. 1961. Ruminal and post-ruminal utilization of nitrogen and starch from sorghum grain, corn and barley based diets bybeef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 62:521-530.
- Takahashi, A., Kondo, I. and Itakura, F. 1984. Influence of dietary energy levels on fattening performance of Japanese cattle steers. Japan Res. Bull. Aichi Agric. Rec. Ctr. 16:325-331.
- Wheeler, T. L., Cundiff, L. V., Koch, R. M. and Crouse, R. D. 1996. Characterization of biological types of cattle (cycle IV): carcass traits and longissimus palatability. J. anim. Sci. 74: 1023-1035.
- Yamada, M., Sakurai, Y., Kobayashi, M., Iguchi, A., Kanbe, Y., Kasai, K., Iijima, T., Yaguchi, K., Asada, T., Hayashi, N. and Hodate, K. 2008. Effects of whole-shelled corn feeding in the finishing period on growth performance and carcass measurements in Japanese black steers. J. Zootechnical. Sci.(Janpan). 79:51-58.
- Zobell, D. R. and Yaremcio, B. J. 1998. A study on feeding ammoniated and processed barley to feedlot steers. Anim. Feed Sci. and Tech. 74:135. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00171-0