- Volume 53 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Annual Earnings used as the Sire Evaluation Criteria in Home-produced Thoroughbred Racehorses
국내산 더러브렛 경주마의 씨수말 평가 기준으로 이용되는 연간수득상금 분석
- Lee, Do-Hyeong (Hankyong National University) ;
- Kong, Hong-Sik (Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Hak-Kyo (Hankyong National University) ;
- Park, Kyung-Do (Hankyong National University) ;
- Cho, Byung-Wook (Pusan National University) ;
- Choy, Yun-Ho (National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Jeon, Byeong-Soon (National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Cho, Kwang-Hyun (National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Sin, Young-Soo (Shingu University)
- 이도형 (국립한경대학교) ;
- 공홍식 (국립한경대학교) ;
- 이학교 (국립한경대학교) ;
- 박경도 (국립한경대학교) ;
- 조병욱 (부산대학교) ;
- 최연호 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 전병순 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 조광현 (국립축산과학원) ;
- 신영수 (신구대학교)
- Received : 2011.03.29
- Accepted : 2011.05.19
- Published : 2011.08.31
This study was conducted to analyze demerits of the sire evaluation system using annual earnings and to examine relationship between annual earnings and finish time in home-produced thoroughbred racehorses. The average number of progenies and number of starts per sire were 34 heads and 221 times, respectively. On the other hand, the number of progenies with the average age of 2 years and the number of starts were 9 heads and 25 times, respectively. The earnings of the horses with the age of 2 years accounted for 8.3% of annual earnings. The simple correlation coefficient between the number of progenies and the number of starts in annual earnings were 0.922 and 0.934, respectively. The correlation coefficient between the number of progenies and the number of starts was very high (0.985). The number of progenies and starts of sires for the first year of test career were very low (6 heads and 17 times), and there was very close relationship between number of progenies and annual earnings by the year of test career. The number of progenies was over 40 heads during the first 4 years of test career, and as the number of progenies increased the average earning index increased. The average earning index of sires with less than 30 progenies was lower than 1.00. When the number of progenies was less than 10, the average earning index was in the range of 0.06~0.13, indicating that the number of progenies affects much for determining the ranking of sires. The correlation coefficient between breeding value for finish time and annual earnings per start was very high (-0.524~-0.633) compared with other traits.
Annual earnings;Number of starts;Average earning index;Test career
- Arnason, Th. 1982. Prediction of breeding values for multiple traits in small non-random mating (horse) populations. Acta. Agr. Scand. 32:171-176. https://doi.org/10.1080/00015128209435747
- Belhajyahia, T., Blouin, C., Langlois, B. and Harzalla, H. 2003. Breeding evaluation of Arab horses from their racing results in Tunisia by a BLUP with an animal model. Anim. Res. 52:481-488. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:2003033
- Bugislaus, A. E., Roehe, R. and Kalm, E. 2005. Comparison of two different statistical models considering individual races or racetracks for evaluation of German trotters. Livest. Prod. Sci. 92:69-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.08.008
- Bugislaus, A. E., Roehe, R., Uphaus, H. and Kalam, E. 2004. Development of genetic models for estimation of racing performances in German Thoroughbreds. Arch. Tierz. Dummerstorf 47:505-516.
- Cho, K. H., Son, S. K., Cho, B. W., Kim, J. G., Kong, H. S., Lee, H. K. and Park, K. D. 2010. Genetic Evaluation of Thoroughbred Racehorses Using the Integrated Racing Records Collected from Different Racetracks. Journal of Animal Science and Technology. 52(2):1-10 https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.097
- Estes, A. and Baumohl, A. 1960. Racing class and sire success. Blood Horse 80:48.
- Gillespie, R.H. 1971. A new way to evaluate race horses, performance rates. Thoroughbred Rec. 7:961-977.
- Gomez, M. D., valera, M and Molina, A. 2010. Genetic analysis of racing performance of trotter horses in Spain. Livest. Sci. 127:197-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.09.012
- Groeneveld, E. 1990. PEST User's Manual. Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois.
- Klemetsdal, G. 1994. Application of standardized, accumulated transformed earnings in breedong of Norwegian trotters. Livest. Prod. Sci. 35:245-253.
- Langlois, B. 1980. Heritability of racing ability in Thoroughbreds - A review. Livest. Prod. Sci. 7: 591-605. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(80)90073-1
- Langlois, B. and Blouin, C. 2004. Practical efficiency of breeding value estimations based on annual earnings of horses for jumping, trotting, and galloping races in France. Livest. Prod. Sci. 87:99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2003.10.003
- Langlois, B. and Blouin, C. 2007. Annual, Career or single race records for breeding value estimation in race horse. Livest. Sci. 107, 132-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.09.017
- Mota, M. D. S., Abrahao, A. R. and Oliveira, H. N. 2005. Genetic and environmental parameters for racing time at different distances in Brazilian Thoroughbreds. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 122, 393-399. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2005.00551.x
- Oki, H., Sasaki, Y. and Willham, R. L. 1997. Estimation of genetic correlations between racing times recorded at different racing distance by restricted maximum likelihood in Thoroughbred racehorses. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 114:185-189. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.1997.tb00504.x
- Ricard, A., Bruns, E. and Cunningham, E. P. 2000. Genetics of performance traits. In: Bowling, A.T., Ruvinsky, A. (Eds.), Genetics of the Horse. CABI Publishing, United Kingdom, pp. 411-438.
- Sobczynska, M. 2006. Genetic correlations between racing performance at different racing distances in Thoroughbreds and Arab horses. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 51(12):523-528.
- Sobczyńska, M. 2010. Genetic parameters of racing performance indices in Polish Arabian horses. Livest. Sci. 131:245-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.04.008
- Tavernier, A. 1991. Genetic evaluation of horses based on ranks in competitions. Genet. Sel. Evol. 23:159-173. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-23-2-159
- Tavernier. A. 1988. Advantage of BLUP animal model for breeding value estimation in horses. Livest. Prod. Sci. 20:149-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(88)90059-0
- Tolley, E. S., Notter, D. R. and Marlowe, T. J. 1985. A review of the inheritance of racing performance in horses. Anim. Breed. Abstr. 53:163-185.
- Watanabe, Y. 1974. Performance rates of Thoroughbreds as a criterion of racing ability. Jpn. J. Zootech. Sci. 45, 408-411.
- Willham R. L. and Wilson, D. E. 1991. Genetic prediction of racing performance in Quater Horse. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3891-3894. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6993891x