- Volume 53 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Phylogenetic Relationships of Jeju Dogs to Other Domestic and Foreign Dog Breeds Determined by Using mtDNA D-loop Sequences
mtDNA D-loop의 염기서열에 의한 제주견과 우리나라 재래견 및 외국견품종과의 유연관계
- Kim, Mi-Gyoung (Faculty of Biotechnology, Jeju National University) ;
- Kim, Nam-Young (National Institute of Animal Science RDA) ;
- Lee, Sung-Soo (National Institute of Animal Science RDA) ;
- Kim, Ky-IL (Faculty of Biotechnology, Jeju National University) ;
- Yang, Young-Hoon (Faculty of Biotechnology, Jeju National University)
- 김미경 (제주대학교 생명공학부) ;
- 김남영 (농촌진흥청 난지축산시험장) ;
- 이성수 (농촌진흥청 난지축산시험장) ;
- 김규일 (제주대학교 생명공학부) ;
- 양영훈 (제주대학교 생명공학부)
- Received : 2011.03.03
- Accepted : 2011.07.26
- Published : 2011.08.31
Phylogenetic relationships of Jeju dogs to other domestic and foreign dog breeds were assessed using mtDNA D-loop sequences. Neighbor-joining trees were constructed using complete sequences (970 bp excluding the tandem repeat region) determined for five Cheju, four Jindo, four Sapsaree, five Pungsan, two of each East and West Laika dogs (Canis familiaris), two gray wolves (Canis lupus) and two coyotes (Canis latrans) and also published complete sequences for dogs. Coyote sequences were used as outgroups. In addition, a total of 214 haplotypes of 598bp D-loop sequences from 30 dog breeds were collected from GenBank and used to investigate genetic structure of population. In the analyses of full D-loop sequence variation and the phylogenetic trees constructed by neighbor-joining method, neither haplotypes nor clades specific for any domestic dog breeds were observed. The inter-species sequence variation (4.51%) between domestic dogs and wolves was much higher than the intra-species sequence variation within domestic dogs (1.63%) and wolves (3.64%). The divergence of the dog and wolf occurred approximately 1~2 million years ago based on these values. The taxa of Jeju dog breed in the phylogenetic tree are clustered separately and intermingled with other taxa of breeds, suggesting that active crossbreeding of Jeju dogs with other domestic breeds.
- Brown, W. M., George, M. Jr. and Wilson, A. C. 1979. Rapid evolution of animal mitochondrial DNA. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76:1967-1971. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.76.4.1967
- Excoffier, L. G. Laval, and S. Schneider. 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: An integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47-50.
- Kumar, S., Tamura, K., Jakobson, I. B. and Nei, M. 2001. MEGA2: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis software. Bioinformatics 17, 1244-1245. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/17.12.1244
- Miller, S. A., Dykes, D. D. and Polesky, H. F. 1988. A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 16,1215. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/16.3.1215
- Nicholas, K. B. and Nicholas H. B. Jr. 1997. GeneDoc: A tool for editing and annotating multiple sequence alignments. http://www.psc.edu /biomed /genedoc.
- Saitou, N. and Nei, M. 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstruction of phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4,406-425.
- Tamura, K. and Nei, M. 1993. Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions in the control region of mitochondrial DNA in human and chimpanzees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 10,512-526.
- Tanabe, Y. 1991. The origin of Japanese dogs and their association with Japanese people. Zool. Sci. 8, 639-651.
- Tsuda K., Kikkawa Y., Yonekswa H. and Yanabe, Y. 1997. Extensive interbreeding occurred among multiple matriarchal ancestors during the domestication of dogs: Evidence from interand intraspecies polymorphisms in the D-loop region of mitochondrial DNA between dogs and wolves. Genes Genet. Syst. 72:229-238. https://doi.org/10.1266/ggs.72.229
- Vila, C., Savolainen, P., Maldonado, J. E., Amorim, I. R., Rice, J. E., Honeycutt, R. L., Crandall, K. A., Lundeberg, J. and Wayne, R. K. 1997. Multiple and ancient origins of the domestic dog. Science. 276:1687-1689. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.276.5319.1687
- Wayne, R. K., Nash, W. G. and O'Brien, S. J. 1987a. Chromosome evolution of the Canidae. I. Species with high diploid numbers. Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 44:123-133. https://doi.org/10.1159/000132356
- Wayne, R. K., Nash, W. G. and O'Brien, S. J. 1987b. Chromosome evolution of the Canidae. II. Divergence from the primitive carnivore karyotype. Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 44:134-141. https://doi.org/10.1159/000132357
- Yang, Y. H., Kim, N. Y. and Kim, K. I. 2004. Phylogenetic relationships of Korean dogs to other dog breeds determined by using mitochondrial DNA D-loop sequence polymorphism. Proceeding vol. II. p54. Proceedings of the 5th Animal Congress, Korean Society of Animal Sciences and Technology.
- 하지홍. 2003. 한국의 개. 경북대학교 출판부.
- 하지홍, 김경석. 1998. 한국 토종개의 기원에 관한 고찰. 한국동물자원과학회지 40(6) 701-710.
- 하지홍, 이성은, 탁연빈, 김종복. 1998. 한국 토종개 집단의 형태특징과 혈액 단백질. 한국동물자원과학회지, 40(6) 711-720.
- 제주특별자치도. 2007. 제주축산사, 가축의 기원-한국개의 조상. 제주특별자 치도, 제주대학교 아열대농업생명과학연구소.