- Volume 53 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Genetic Parameter Estimates for Meat Quality Traits in Berkshire Pigs
버크셔종의 육질형질에 대한 유전모수 추정
- Jung, Jong-Hyun (Dasan Pig Breeding Co.) ;
- Kim, Chul-Wook (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Jinju National University) ;
- Park, Beom-Young (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Jong-Soon (Korea Basic Science Institute) ;
- Park, Hwa-Chun (Dasan Pig Breeding Co.)
- Received : 2010.12.27
- Accepted : 2011.08.12
- Published : 2011.08.31
Swine industry in Korea plays an important role in providing the meat for domestic consumption, and the number of pigs in Korea was about 9.72 million heads as of June, 2010. Meat quality is used to describe any traits which impact the consumer acceptability of fresh meat products. Meat color, firmness, water holding capacity, ultimate muscle
Meat quality;Berkshire pigs;Heritability;Genetic correlation
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Cameron, N. D. 1990. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for carcass traits, meat and eating quality traits in pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 26:119-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(90)90061-A
- Christian, L. L. and Rothschil, M. F. 1991. Performance and carcass characteristic of normal, stress-carrier, and stress-susceptible swine. Publication AS-528-F. Iowa State University Cooperative Exstension Service, Ames.
- Cliplef, R. L. and McKay, R. M. 1993. Carcass quality characteristics of swine selected for reduced backfat thickness and increased growth rate. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 73:483-494. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas93-053
- DeVol, D. L., Mckeith, F. K., Bechtel, P. J., Novakofski, J., Shanks, R. D. and Carr, T. R. 1988. Variation in composition and palatability traits and relationships between muscle characteristics and palability in a random sample of pork carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 66:385-395.
- Gibson, J. P., Aker, C. A. and Ball, R. O. 1998. Proceeding fo the Omtario Pork Carcass Appraisal Project Symposium. Omtario Swine Improvement Inc. Guelph, Ontario, Canata.
- Goodwin, R. N. 1994. Genetic parameters of pork quality traits. Ph.D. Thesis. Iowa State University, Ames.
- Honikel, K. O. 1997. The influence of chilling on meat quality attributes of fast glycolysing pork muscle. In; P. V. Tarrent, G. Eikelenboom, and G. Monin 9ed.) Evaluation and control of meat Quality in Pigs. pp273-284.
- Hovenier, R., Kanis, E., van Asseldonk, T. and Westerink, N. G. 1992. Genetic parameters of pig meat quality traits ina halothane negative population. Livest. Prob. Sci. 32:309-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(92)90002-L
- Hovenier, R., Kanis, E., van Asseldonk, T. and Westerink, N. G. 1993. Breeding for pig meat quality in halothane negative populations-A review. Pig News inf. 14:17N-25N.
- Huff-Lonergan, E., Bass, T. J., Malek, M., Dekkers, J. C. M., Prusa, K. and Rothschild, M. F. 2002. Correlations among selected pork quality traits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:617-627. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.803617x
- Knapp, P., William, A. and Solkner, J. 1997. Genetic parameters for lean meat content and meat quality traits in different pig breeds. Livest. Prob. Sci. 52:69-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00120-6
- Larzul, C., Lefaucheur, L., Ecolan, P., Gogue, J., Talmant, A., Sellier, P., Le Roy, P. and Monin, G. 1997. Phenotypic and genetic parameters for longissimus muscle fiber characteristics in relation to growth carcass, and meat quality traits in Large White pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 75:3126-3137. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.75123126x
- Meyer, K. 1987a. Restricted Maximum Likelihood (REML) programs for the analysis of animal breeding data. Program notes prepared for a workshop in Orange, NSW, March 2-6, 1987. Mimeo. 55.
- Meyer, K. 1988c. Estimation of variance components for Individual Animal Models II. Multivariate analyses. Genet. Sel. Evol. (submitted).
- Sellier, P. 1998. Genetic of meat and carcass traits. Pages in 463-510 in The Genetics of the Pigs. M. F. Rothschild, and A. Rubinsky, ed. CAB Int, New York, NY.
- Sellier, P. and Monin 1994. Genetics of Meat Quality; A review. 1994. J. Muscle Foods 5:187-219. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1994.tb00530.x
- Sellier, P. and Rothschild, M. F. 1991. Breed identificatrion and development in pigs. In; K. Maijala (ed.) Genetic resources Elsevier Science Publishier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Stalder, K. J., Maya, J., Christian, L. L., Moeller, S. J. and Prusa, K. J. 1998. Effectrs of preslaughter management on the quality of carcasses from porcine sterss syndrome heterozygous marker hogs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2435-2443.
- Suzukim, K., Irie, M., Kadowaki, H., Shibata, T., Shibat, M., Kumagai, M. and Nishida, A. 2005. Genetic parameter estimates of meat quality traits in Duroc pigs selected for average daily gain, longissmus muscle area, backfat thickness, and intramuscular fat content. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2058-2065. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8392058x
- Warriss, P. D. 1997. the effect of time and condition of trasport and lairge on pig meat quality. In; P. V. Tarrent, G. Eikelenboom, and G. Monin (eds) Evaluation and Control of Meat Quality in Pigs. pp245-264.
- Evaluation of Genome Based Estimated Breeding Values for Meat Quality in a Berkshire Population Using High Density Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Chips vol.27, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14371
- Effect of a c-MYC Gene Polymorphism (g.3350G>C) on Meat Quality Traits in Berkshire vol.28, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0425