- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Pedestrian Detection on the Road Using Machine Vision
머신비전을 이용한 도로상의 보행자 검출에 관한 연구
- Lee, Byung-Ryong (University of Ulsan) ;
- Truong, Quoc Bao (University of Ulsan) ;
- Kim, Hyoung-Seok (University of Ulsan) ;
- Bae, Yong-Hwan (Andong National University)
- Received : 2010.12.06
- Accepted : 2011.03.17
- Published : 2011.05.01
In this paper, we present a two-stage vision-based approach to detect multi views of pedestrian in road scene images. The first stage is HG (Hypothesis Generation), in which potential pedestrian are hypothesized. During the hypothesis generation step, we use a vertical, horizontal edge map, and different colors between road background and pedestrian's clothes to determine the leg position of pedestrian, then a novel symmetry peaks processing is performed to define how many pedestrians is covered in one potential candidate region. Finally, the real candidate region where pedestrian exists will be constructed. The second stage is HV (Hypothesis Verification). In this stage, all hypotheses are verified by Support Vector Machine for classification, which is robust for multi views of pedestrian detection and recognition problems.
- Z. Li, K. Wang, L. Li, and F.-Y. Wang, "A review on visionbased pedestrian detection for intelligent vehicles," Vehicular Electronics and Safety, IEEE International, pp. 57-62, 2006.
- M. Bertozzi, A. Broggi, M. Felisa, G. Vezzoni, and M. Del Rose, "Low-level pedestrian detection by means of visible and infrared tetra-vision," Proc. IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 231-236, June 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2006.1689633
- M. Bertozzi, A. Broggi, M. Del Rose, and M. Felisa, "A symmetry-based validator and refinement system for pedestrian detection in far infrared images," Proc. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems, Seattle, USA, pp. 155-160, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ITSC.2007.4357695
- M. Bertozzi, A. Broggi, C. Caraffi, M. Del Rose, M. Felisa, and G. Vezzoni, "Pedestrian detection by means of far-infrared stereo vision," International Journal of Computrer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 106, no. 2-3, pp. 194-204, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cviu.2006.07.016
- M. Bertozzi, E.Binelli, A. Broggi, and M. Del Rose, "Stereo vision-based approaches for pedestrian detection," Proc. IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 16-22, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2005.534
- F. Han, Y. Shan, R. Cekander, H. S. Sawhney, and R. Kumar, "A two-stage approach to people and vehicle detection with HOGbase SVM," Proc. PerMIS, pp. 133-140, 2006.
- D. Fernandez, I. Parra, M. A. Sotelo, and P. A. Revenga, "Bounding box accuracy in pedestrian detection for intelligent transportation systems," Proc. IEEE Industrial Electronics IECON, pp. 3486-3491, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/IECON.2006.347744
- L. Xin, D. Bin, and H. Hagen, "Vision-based real-time pedestrian detection for autonomus vehicle," Proc. IEEE Vehicular Electronics and Safety, pp. 1-5, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICVES.2007.4456404
- L. Yu, W. Yao, H. Liu, and F. Liu, "A monocular vision based pedestrian detection system for intelligent vehicles," Proc. IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 524-529, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, June 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2008.4621295
- M. Bertozzi, A. Broggi, Fascioli and P. Lombardi, "Vision-based Pedestrian Detection: will Ants Help?," Proc. IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, vol. 1, pp. 1-7, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2002.1187919
- Guo Lie, Wang Rong-ben, Jin Li-sheng, Li Lin-hui, and Yang Lu, "Algorithm study for pedestrian detection based on monocular vision," Proc. IEEE Vehicular Electronics and Safety, pp. 83-87, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICVES.2006.371559
- G. Ma, S.-B. Park, S. Muller-Schneiders, A. Ioffe, and Kummert, "Vision-based Pedestrian Detection - Reliable Pedestrian Candidate Detection by Combining IPM and 1D Profile," Proc. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems, Seattle, USA, pp. 137-142, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ITSC.2007.4357628
- G. Ma, A. Kummert, S.-B. Park, S. Muller-Schneiders, and A. Ioffe, "A symmetry search and filtering algorithm for vision based pedestrian detection system," SAE Technical Paper series, World Congress Detroit, Michigan, April 2008.
- T. Hashiyama, D. Mochizuki, Y. Yano, and S. Okuma, "Active frame subtraction for pedestrian detection from images of moving camera," Proc. IEEE International. Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 480-485, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSMC.2003.1243861
- C. Curio, J. Edelbrunner, T. Kalinke, C. Tzomakas, and W. von Seelen, "Walking pedestrian recognition," Proc. IEEE International Transactions on Transportation and System, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 155-163, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/6979.892152
- S. Munder and D. M. Gavrila, "An experimential study on pedestrian classification," IEEE International Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1863-1868, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2006.217
- M. Bertozzi, A. Broggi, M. Del Rose, M. Felisa, A. Rakotomamonjy, and F. Suard, "A pedestrian detector using histogram of oriented gradiants and a support vector machine classifier," Proc. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems, Seattle, USA, pp. 143-148, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ITSC.2007.4357692
- J. B. Song, D.-W. Lee, and J.-T. Park, "Door detection with door handle recognition based on contour image and support vector machine," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems(in Korean), vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1226-1232, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2010.16.12.1226
- L. Jing, K.-H. Woo, and W.-H. Choi, "Gaze direction estimation method using support vector machines (SVMs)," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems(in Korean), vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 379-384, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2009.15.4.379
- D. Chen, X. B. Cao, Y. W. Xu, and H. Qiao, "An evolutionary support vector machines classiffier for pedestrian detection," Proc. IEEE Intelligent Robots and Systems, Beijing, China, pp. 4223-4227, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2006.281917
- L. Malago-Borja and O. Fuentes, "Object detection using image reconstruction with PCA," International Journal on Image and Vision Computing, doi: 10.1016/j.imavis.2007.03.004, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imavis.2007.03.004
- X. B. Cao, Y. W. Xu, D. Chen, and H. Qiao, "Associated evolution of support vector machine-based classifier for pedestrian detection," International Journal on Information Science 179 (2009), pp. 1070-1077, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2008.10.020
- Q. B. Truong and B. R. Lee, "Vehicle detection algorithm using hypothesis generation and verification," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Book Emerging Intelligent Computing Technology and Application, vol. 5754/2009, pp. 534-543, 2009.
- P. Viola and M. J. Jones, "Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Parttern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. I-511-I-518, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2001.990517
- R. Lienhart and J. Maydt, "An extended set of haar-like features for rapid object detection," Proc. IEEE International Conference on In Image Processing, vol. 1, pp. I-900-I-903, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2002.1038171
- L. Breiman, J. Friedman, R. A. Olshen, R. and C. J. Stone, Classification and Regression Trees, Wadsworth, pp. 203-215, 1984.
- S. R. Gunn, "Support vector machine for classification and regression," Technical report of Faculty of Engineering, Science and Mathematics School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton, USA, 1998, http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk.
- C.-W. Hsu, C.-C. Chang, and C.-J. Lin, "LIBSVM: a library for support vector machines," 2001. Software available at http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/ cjlin/libsvm11111.
- HOG based Pedestrian Detection and Behavior Pattern Recognition for Traffic Signal Control vol.19, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2013.13.1858