- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Vehicle Identification Number Recognition using Edge Projection and PCA
에지 투영과 PCA를 이용한 차대 번호 인식
- Received : 2010.08.12
- Accepted : 2011.03.11
- Published : 2011.05.01
The automation of production process is actively expanding for the purpose of the cost reduction and quality assurance. Among these, automatic tracking of the product along the whole process of the production is also important topic. Typically this is done by adopting OCR technology. Conventional OCR technology operates well on the rather good quality of the image like as printed characters on the paper. In industrial application, IDs are marked on the metal surface, and this cause the height difference between background material and character. Illumination systems that guarantee an image with good quality may be a solution, but it is rather difficult to design such an illumination system. This paper proposes an algorithm for the recognition of vehicle's ID characters using edge projection and PCA (Principal Component Analysis). Proposed algorithm robustly operates under illumination change using the same parameters. Experimental results show the feasibility of the proposed algorithm.
- L. Yi, "Machine printed character segmentation - an overview," Pattern Recognition, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 67-80, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-3203(94)00068-W
- S. Kanhan, T. Pavlidis, and H. S. Baird, "On the recognition of printed characters of any font and size," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 274-288, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1987.4767901
- G. Baptista and K. M. Kulkami, "A high accuracy algorithm for recognition of handwritten numerals," Pattern Recognition, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 287-291, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-3203(88)90041-6
- S. H. Kim, S. W. Jeong, and I. S. Oh, "A survey on the off-line recognition of handwritten korean characters," Proc. of KIISE (Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers), pp. 396-398, 1998.
- S. S. Kim, H. K. Kwag, and S. H. Kim, "A survey on the research of optical font recognition," University Journal of Chonnam, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1-16, 2001.
- J. H. Jung and J. H. Park, "A PCB character recognition system using rotation-invariant features," Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems Engineering(in Korean), vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 241-247, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2006.12.3.241
- S. W. Lee, D. J. Lee, and H. S. Park, "A new methodology for gray-scale character segmentation and recognition," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1045-1050, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.541415
- T. Sato, M. Smith, S. Satoh, T. Kanade, and E. Hughes, "Video OCR: indexing digital news libraries by recognition of superimposed caption," ACM Multimedia Systems Special Issue on Video Libraries, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 385-395, 1999.
- J. E. Ha, D. J. Kang, M. H. Jeong, and W. H. Lee, "Robust segmentation of characters marked on surface," LNCIS 345, pp. 478-487, 2006.
- S. Mori, C. Y. Suen, and K. Yamamoto, "Historical review of OCR research and development," Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 1029-1058, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.156468
- R. Plamondon and S. N. Srihari, "Online and off-line handwriting recognition: a comprehensive survey," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 63-84, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.824821