- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Geometrical Featured Voxel Based Urban Structure Recognition and 3-D Mapping for Unmanned Ground Vehicle
무인 자동차를 위한 기하학적 특징 복셀을 이용하는 도시 환경의 구조물 인식 및 3차원 맵 생성 방법
- Choe, Yun-Geun (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Shim, In-Wook (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Ahn, Seung-Uk (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Chung, Myung-Jin (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2011.02.20
- Accepted : 2011.03.29
- Published : 2011.05.01
Recognition of structures in urban environments is a fundamental ability for unmanned ground vehicles. In this paper we propose the geometrical featured voxel which has not only 3-D coordinates but also the type of geometrical properties of point cloud. Instead of dealing with a huge amount of point cloud collected by range sensors in urban, the proposed voxel can efficiently represent and save 3-D urban structures without loss of geometrical properties. We also provide an urban structure classification algorithm by using the proposed voxel and machine learning techniques. The proposed method enables to recognize urban environments around unmanned ground vehicles quickly. In order to evaluate an ability of the proposed map representation and the urban structure classification algorithm, our vehicle equipped with the sensor system collected range data and pose data in campus and experimental results have been shown in this paper.
Supported by : 정보통신산업진흥원
- B. J. Patz, Y. Papelis, R. Pillat, G. Stein, and D. Harper, "A practical approach to robotic design for the DARPA urban challenge," Journal of Field Robotics, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 528-566, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.20251
- C. M. Chun, S. B. Suh, S. H. Lee, C.-W. Roh, S. C. Kang, and Y. S. Kang, "Autonomous navigation of KUVE (KIST Unmanned Vehicle Electric)," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems(in Korean), vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 617-624, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2010.16.7.617
- K. M. Jung, J. M. Sung, B. S. Kim, J.-H. Je, and S.-G. Lee, "Design and flight test of path following system for an unmanned airship," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems(in Korean), vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 498-509, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2010.16.5.498
- N. Vandapel, D. F. Huber, A. Kapuria, and M. Hebert, "Natural terrain classification using 3-D ladar data," Proc. of the 2004 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2004), pp. 5117-5122, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBOT.2004.1302529
- J. Lalonde, N. Vandapel, D. F. Huber, and M. Hebert, "Natural terrain classification using three-dimensional ladar data for ground robot mobility," Journal of Field Robotics, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 839-861, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.20134
- R. Triebel, K. Kersting, and W. Burgard, "Robust 3D scan point classification using associative Markov networks," Proc. of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation(ICRA 2006), pp. 2603-2608, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBOT.2006.1642094
- D. Munoz, N. Vandapel, and M. Hebert, "Onboard contextual classification of 3-D point clouds with learned high-order Markov random fields," Proc. of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation(ICRA 2009), pp. 2009-2016, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBOT.2009.5152856
- B. Taskar, V. Chatalbashev, and D. Koller, "Learning associative Markov networks," Proc. of the twenty-first International Conference on Machine Learning(ICML 2004), 2004.
- D. Anguelov, B. Taskar, V. Chatalbashev, D. Koller, D. Gupta, G. Heitz, and A. Ng, "Discriminative learning of Markov random fields for segmentation of 3D scan data," Proc. of the 2005 IEEE computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition(CVPR 2005), pp. 169-176, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2005.133
- D. Munoz, J. A. Bagnell, N. Vandapel, and M. Hebert, "Contextual classification with functional max-margin Markov networks," Proc. of the 2009 IEEE computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition(CVPR 2009), pp. 975-982, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2009.5206590
- J. Behley, K. Kersting, D. Schulz, V. Steinhage, and A. B. Cremers, "Learning to hash logistic regression for fast 3D scan point classification," Proc. of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems(IROS 2010), pp. 5960-5965, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2010.5650093
- R. Rocha, J. Dias, and A. Carvalho, "Cooperative multi-robot systems: a study of vision-based 3-D mapping using information theory," Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 53, no. 3-4, pp. 282-311, Dec. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2005.09.008
- J. Ryde and M. Brünig, "Non-cubic occupied voxel lists for robot maps," Proc. of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems(IROS 2009), pp. 4771-4776, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2009.5354292
- Y. G. Choe, S. U. Park, I. W. Shim, and M. J. Chung, "Laser and GPS/IMU based 3-D world modeling system for robot navigation," 2010 IEEK Conference, Seoul, Korea, pp. 617-618, Nov. 2010.
- I. W. Shim, Y. G. Choe, S. U. Park, J. W. Kang, and M. J. Chung, "Enhanced sensor architecture with fusion of LIDAR and camera for a robotic vehicle in urban environments," 2010 IEEK Conference, Seoul, Korea, pp. 623-624, Nov. 2010.
- B. Douillard, J. Underwood, N. Melkumyan, S. Singh, S. Vasudevan, C. Brunner, and A. Quadros, "Hybrid elevation maps: 3D surface models for segmentation," Proc. of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems(IROS 2010), pp. 1532-1538, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2010.5650541
- B. Siciliano, O. Khatib, Eds, Handbook of Robotics: Chap. 36. World Modeling(W. Burgard, M. Hebert, pp. 853-869), Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2008.
- C. M. Bishop, Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, Springer, New York, 2006.
- T. Hastie, R. Tibshirani, and J. Friedman, The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference and Prediction, 2nd Ed., Springer, New York, 2009.
- C. Chang and C. Lin, LIBSVM: a library for support vector machines, 2001. Software available at http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/cjlin/libsvm
- C.-W. Hsu, C.-C. Chang, and C.-J. Lin, "A practical guide to support vector classification," 2003. Manual available at http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/-cjlin/papers.html.
- Velodyne Lidar Inc, 3D Laser Scanner: HDL 64E-S2, 2008. User's manual at www.velodyne. com/lidar/.