- Volume 11 Issue 5
This paper presents a new fast motion estimation method where search ranges are determined by the probabilities of motion vector differences (MVDs), which is an adaptive/dynamic search range (ASR) method. The MVDs' distribution is investigated and its parameter is estimated by the maximum likelihood estimator. With the estimated distribution, we show that the search ranges can be efficiently restricted by a prefixed probability for MVDs. Experimental results showed that the performance of the proposed method is very similar to that of the full search algorithm in PSNR but it enables significant reduction in the computational complexity. In addition, they revealed that the proposed method determine the search ranges much more efficiently than the conventional ASR methods.
- ITU-T VCEG and ISO/IEC MPEG, Advanced video coding for generic audiovisual services, ITU-T Recommendation H.264 and ISO/IEC 14496-10 (MPEG-4 AVC), 2003(5).
- J. Jain and A. Jain, "Displacement measurement and its application in interframe image coding," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol.29, No.12, pp.1799-1808, 1981(12). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOM.1981.1094950
- L.-M. Po and W.-C. Ma, "A novel four-step search algorithm for fast block motion estimation," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp.313-317, 1996(6). https://doi.org/10.1109/76.499840
- S. Zhu and K.-K. Ma, "A new diamond search algorithm for fast block matching motion estimation," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.9, No.2, pp.287-290, 2000(2). https://doi.org/10.1109/83.821744
- C. Cheung and L. Po, "A Novel Cross-Diamond Search Algorithm for Fast Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.12, No.12, pp.1168-1177, 2002(12). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2002.806815
- C. Zhu, X. Lin, and L. P. Chau, "Hexagon-based search pattern for fast block motion estimation," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Syst. Video Technol., Vol.12, No.5, pp.349-355, 2002(5). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2002.1003474
- Z. Chen, P. Zhou, and Y. He, Fast integer and fractional pel motion estimation for JVT, JVT-F017r, Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, 2002(12).
- X. Yi, J. Zhang, N. Ling, and W. Shang, Improved and simplified fast motion estimation for JM, JVT-P021, Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, 2005(7).
- M.-C. Hong and H. H. Oh, Range decision for motion estimation of VCEG-N33, JVT-B022, Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, Feb. 2002.
- M.-C. Hong, Chul-Woo Kim, and Kyoung Seok In, Further improvement of motion search range, JVT-D117, Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, 2002(7).
- X. Xu, Y. He, Modification of dynamic search range for JVT, JVT-Q088, Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, 2005(10).
- T. Song, K. Ogata, K. Saito, and T. Shimamoto, "Adaptive search range motion estimation algorithm for H.264/AVC," Proc. of International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp.3956-3959, 2007.
- S. W. Lee, S. M. Park, and H. S. Kang, "Fast motion estimation with adaptive search range adjustment," Optical Engineering, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 040504-1-040504-3, 2007(4). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2721767
- Z. Chen, Y. Song, T. Ikenaga, and S. Goto, "A macroblock level adaptive search range algorithm for variable block size motion estimation in H.264/AVC, "Proc. of Int. Sym. on Intelligent Signal Processing and Comm. Sys., pp.598-601, 2007.
- K.-P. Lim, G. Sullivan, and T. Wiegand, Text description of joint model reference encoding methods and decoding concealment methods, JVT-N046, Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, 2005(1).
- H.264/AVC Reference Software JM16.2, http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/download/
- K. Andersson, R Sjoberg, and A. Norkin, Reliability measure for BD measurements, ITU-T SG16 Q.6 Document, VCEG-AL22, 2009(7).