- Volume 47 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Auditory Characteristics of Tiger shark Scyliorhinus torazame caught in the Coast of jeju Island
제주 연안에서 어획된 두툽상어의 청각 특성
- Ahn, Jang-Young (Dept. of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, College of ocean science, Jeju national university) ;
- Choi, Chan-Moon (Dept. of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, College of ocean science, Jeju national university) ;
- Lee, Chang-Heon (Dept. of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, College of ocean science, Jeju national university)
- Received : 2011.06.14
- Accepted : 2011.08.04
- Published : 2011.08.31
In order to obtain the fundamental data about the behavior of sharks by underwater audible sound, this experiment was carried out to investigate the auditory characteristics of tiger shark Scyliorhinus torazame which was caught in the coast of Jeju Island by heart rate conditioning method using pure tones coupled with a delayed electric shock. The audible range of tiger shark extended from 80Hz to 300Hz with a peak sensitivity at 80Hz including less sensitivity at 300Hz. The mean auditory thresholds of tiger shark at the frequencies of 80Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz and 300Hz were 90dB, 103dB, 94dB and 115dB, respectively. The positive response of tiger shark was not evident after the sound projection of over 300Hz. At the results, the sensitive frequency range of tiger shark is narrower than that of fish that has swim bladder. In addition, it is assumed that the most sensitive frequency in auditory thresholds of Chondrichthyes is lower than that of Osteichthyes. Critical ratios of tiger shark measured in the presence of masking noise in the spectrum level range of about 60-70dB (0dB re
- Anraku, K., 1997. Auditory response in teleost midbrain and relationships between hearing and startle reflex. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 63 (1), 114-115. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.63.114
- Chapman, CJ. and O. sand, 1974. A field study of hearing in two species of flatfish, Pleuronectes platessa (L) and Limanda limanda (L). Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 47, 371-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9629(74)90082-6
- FAO, 1984. FAO Species catalogue Vol. 4. Part 1. sharks of the world, pp. 367-368.
- Fujieda, S., Y. Matsuno and Y. Yamanaka, 1996. The auditory threshold of the bastard hailbut Paralichthys olivaceus. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 62 (2), 201-204. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.62.201
- Hatakeyama, Y., 1989. Masking effect on the hearing of red sea bream, Pagrus major, by ambient noise. Int. J. Aq. Fish. Tecnol., 1, 271-277.
- Hatakeyama, Y., 1996. Fish's hearing abilities and responses to underwater sound (I). J. Marine Acoust. Soc. Jpn., 23, 9-16.
- Park, J.M., Park, S.C. Park, J.H. Kim and G.W. Baeck, 2010. Feeding habits of 6 shark species in the southern sea of korea. Kor. J. Fish Aquat. Soc., 43 (3), 254-261. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2010.43.3.254
- Ishioka, H., Y. Hatakeyama and S. Sakaguchi, 1988. The hearing ability of the red sea beam Pagrus major. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 54, 947-951. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.54.947
- Kim, I.S., Y. Choi, C.L. Lee, Y.I. Lee, B.J. Kim and I.H. Kim, 2005. Illustrated book of korean fishies. Koyhak publishing. co. ltd. Seoul, pp. 51.
- Kim, S.H., C.H. Lee, D.O. Seo and Y.J. Kim, 2002. A basic study on acoustic conditioning of fish suitable for a marine ranch, 1. The sound sensitivity of of japanese parrot fish Oplegnathus fasciatus. J. Korean Fish. Soc., 35 (6), 563-567. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.6.563
- Kojima, T., T. Shimamura, K. Yoza, N, okumoto, Y. Hatakeyama and H. Soeda, 1992. W-shaped auditory threshold curves of masu salmon Oncorhynchus masou. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 58 (8), 1447-1452. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.58.1447
- Lee, C.H., Y.S. Park, J.W. Moon, J.Y. Ahn, S.J. Kim and D.O. Seo, 1999. The hearing ability of the scorpion fish sebastiscus marmoratus to audible sound, 1. The auditory threshold. Bull. Korean Soc. Fish. Tech., 35 (2), 156-160.
- Lee, C.H. and D.O. Seo, 2000. The hearing ability of black rockfish sebates inermis to underwater audible sound, 1. The auditory threshold. J. Korean Fish. Soc., 33 (6), 581-584.
- Lee, C.H., 2009. Stress response of black rock fish according to adapted time in measurement of auditory threshold. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 45 (4), 260-266. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2009.45.4.260
- Motomatsu, K., T. Hiraishi, K. Yamamoto and K. Nashimoto, 1996. Auditory threhold and critical ratio of black rockfish Sebastes schlegeli. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 62 (5), 785-790. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.62.785
- Park, Y. S., K. Iida and K. Nashimoto, 1995. Ratio of auditory threshold levels to artificial background noise spectrum levels in walleye pollock Theragra chalcogramma. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, 61 (6), 847-853. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.61.847
- Park, Y.S., C.H. Lee, J.W. Moon, J.Y. Ahn and D.O. Seo, 1997. Auditory thresholds of black rock fish. Jour. Fish. Mar. Sci. Edu., 11 (1), 88-97.
- Hearing Ability of Conger eel Conger myriaster caught in the Coast of jeju Island vol.48, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.479