- Volume 47 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The application of GIS in analyzing acoustical and multidimensional data related to artificial reefs ground
인공어초 어장에서 수록한 음향학적 다차원 데이터 해석을 위한 GIS의 응용
- Kang, Myoung-Hee (Myriax Software Pty Ltd) ;
- Nakamura, Takeshi (Department of Fishery Science and Technology, National Fisheries University) ;
- Hamano, Akira (Department of Fishery Science and Technology, National Fisheries University)
- Received : 2011.02.14
- Accepted : 2011.08.02
- Published : 2011.08.31
This study is for the multi-dimensional analysis of diverse data sets for artificial reefs off the coast of Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi prefecture, Japan. Various data sets recorded in artificial reefs ground were integrated in new GIS software: to reveal the relationships between water temperature and fish schools; to visualize the quantitative connection between the reefs and the fish schools; and to compare the seabed types derived from two different data sources. The results obtained suggest that the application of GIS in analyzing multi-dimensional data is a better way to understand the characteristics of fish schools and environmental information around artificial reefs and particularly in the evaluation of the effectiveness of artificial reefs.
- Axelsen, B.E., T. Anker-Nilssen, P. Fossum, C. Kvamme and L. Nottestad, 2001. Pretty patterns but a simple strategy, predator prey interactions between juvenile herring and Atlantic puffins observed with multibeam sonar. Can. J. Zoo., 79, 1586-1596. https://doi.org/10.1139/z01-113
- Gerlotto, F., M. Soria and P. Freon, 1999. From two dimen-sions to three: the use of multibeam sonar for a new approach in fisheries acoustics. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 56, 6-12. https://doi.org/10.1139/f98-138
- Hamano, A., K. Fukada and T. Nakamura, 2002. Report of a proper artificial reef for fishing ground in the ocean. Shimonoseki-city, 1-51.
- Hamano, A., T. Nakamura and K. Uchida, 2001. Assessment of artificial reef clusters on fish distribution using GIS techniques. The proceeding of the first international symposiumon GIS in fishery science, 44-50.
- Hamano, A., H. Tanoue and R. Kieser, 2005. The threedimensional GIS using sonar information for coastal fisheries. ICES Doc. CM. U.,19.
- Hamano, A., K. Uchida, S. Hara and S. Hiyama, 2000. Application of GIS techniques to the preliminary step for estimating the effect of artificial reef. J.Nat. Fish. Uni., 48, 273-280.
- Iida, K., T. Mukai, D. Hwang, T. Hayakawa and Y. Matsuyama, 1995. Acoustic Observation of Spawning Walleye Pollock Theragra chalcogramma and Hydrographic Condition in Funka Bay. Bull. Jap. Soc. Sci. Fish., 61, 27-34. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.61.27
- Jensen, A., 2002. Artificial reefs of Europe, perspective and future. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 59, 3-13. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1298
- Kakimoto, H., 2004. Artificial reef. Japanese Institute of Technology on Fishing Ports, Grounds and Communities, 7-10.
- Kang, M., M. Furusawa and K. Miyashita, 2002. Effective and accurate use of difference in mean volume backscattering strength to identify fish and plankton. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 59, 794-804. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1229
- Kang, M., S. Honda and T. Oshima, 2006. Age characteristics of walleye pollock school echoes. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 63, 1465-1476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icesjms.2006.06.007
- Maury, O. and F. Gerlotto, 2007. Report of the CLIOTOP workshop on designing an ocean mid-trophic automatic acoustic sampler (MAAS). Sete, France, 1-17.
- Myriax, 2010. Help file 4.90.33 for Echoview. http://- support.echoview.com/WebHelp/Echoview.htm.
- Nakamura, T. and A. Hamano, 2009. Seasonal differences in the vertical distribution pattern of Japanese jack mackerel, Trachurus japonicus, changes according to age?. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 66, 1289-1295. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp114
- Paramo, J., S. Bertrand, H. Villalobos and F. Gerlotto, 2007. A three-dimensional approach to school typology using vertical scanning multibeam sonar. Fish. Res., 84, 171-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2006.10.023
- Relini, G., M. Relini, G. Torchia and G. Palandr, 2002. Ten years of censuses of fish fauna on the Loano artificial reef. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 59, 132-137. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1272
- Ryan, T.E., R.J. Kloser and G.J. Macaulay, 2009. Measurement and visual verification of fish target strength using an acoustic-optical system attached to a trawlnet. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 66, 1238-1244. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp122
- Seaman, W. Jr., 2002. Unifying trends and opportunities in global artificial reef research, including evaluation. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 59, S14-S16. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1277
- Shyue, Sw. and K. Yang, 2002. Investigating terrain changes around artificial reefs by using a multibeam echosounder. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 59, 338-342. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1217
- Soldal, A.V., I. Svellingen, T. Jorgensen and S. Lokkeborg, 2002. Rigs-to-reefs in the North Sea, hydroacoustic quantification of fish in the vicinity of a "semi-old" platform. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 59, 281- 287. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1279
- Stanley, D.R. and C.A. Wilson, 1997. Seasonal and spatial variation in the abundance and size distribution of fishes associated with a petroleum platform in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 54, 1166-1176.
- Tanoue, H., A. Hamano, T. Komatsu and E. Boisnier, 2008. Assessing bottom structure influence on fish abundance in a marine hill by using conjointly acoustic survey and geographic information system. Fish. Sci., 74, 469-478. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2008.01548.x
- Thorne, R.E., 1994. Hydroacoustic remote sensing for artificial habitats. Bull. Mar. Sci., 55, 897-901.
- Thorne, R.E., J.B. Hedgepeth and J. Campos, 1989. Hydroacoustic observations of fish abundance and behavior around an artificial reef in Costa Rica. Bull. Mar. Sci., 44, 1058-1064.
- Acoustic observation of the behavior of fish in an artificial reef vol.50, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.2.124
- The Characteristics and Spatio-temporal Distribution of Fish Schools during Summer in the Marine Ranching Area (MRA) of Yeosu using Acoustic Data vol.47, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0283
- Acoustic method for discriminating plankton from fish in Lake Dom Helvecio of Brazil using a time varied threshold vol.48, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.495