- Volume 47 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Age and growth of the flathead grey mullet (Mugil cephalus) in the coastal water of Yeosu
여수 연안 숭어 (Mugil cephalus)의 연령과 성장 연구
- Zhang, Chang-Ik (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Hee-Won (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kwon, Hyeok-Chan (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2011.05.17
- Accepted : 2011.08.13
- Published : 2011.08.31
The age and growth of flathead grey mullet, Mugil cephalus, were studied using samples collected from the coastal water of Yeosu from September 2009 to August 2010. Spawning season estimated from the gonadosometic index (GSI) was from November to January. A method for increasing the readability of the otolith was described and criteria for the interpretation of otolith was provided. The annual ring was formed in September once a year. Annual ring in otolith for flathead grey mullet is validated for fish aged 1-8 using the marginal increment analysis. Using the sectioned otolith, between reader precision was 84%. Also, Within-reader agreement for sectioned otolith age readings was higher (reader 1=84%, reader 2=87%). The relationship between fork length and total weight was TW=
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Bertalanffy, L. von, 1938. A quantitative theory of organic growth (Inquiries on growth laws. (II). Hum. Biol., 10 (2), 181-213.
- Fowler, A.J, 1995. Recent developments in fish otolith research. Secor. D.H., J.M. Dean and S.E. Campana, ed. The Belle W. Baruch Institute for Marine Biology and Coastal Research by the University of South Carolina Press, USA, 45-63.
- Ghadirnejad, H., 1996. Population dynamics of grey mullet species (Liza aurata) in southern Caspian Sea. Ph.D Thesis, University of Wales, pp. 207.
- Kang, D.Y., H.W. Kang, G.H. Kim, K.C. Jo and H.C. Kim, 2007. Effect of Cold Shock on the Physiological Responses of the Cultured mullet, Mugil haematocheilus in Winter. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 40 (4), 226-233. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2007.40.4.226
- Kim, D.S., C.S. Joo and J.S. Park, 2005. A Study on the movement Distribution of Common Grey Mullet, Mugil cephalus in Funnel Net Fishing Ground of the Yeosu Coastal Sea. Bull. Korean Soc. Fish. Tech., 41 (1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.1.001
- Kim, J.K., Y.U. Kim and S.G. Byun, 2000. Egg and larval development of Chelon lauvergnii from Korea. Korean Journal of Ichthyology, 12 (2), 137-145.
- Lee, C.L. and D.S. Joo, 1994. Synopsis of Family Mugilidae (Perciformes) from Korea. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 27 (6), 814-824.
- Njoku, D.C. and I.O. Ezeibekwe, 1996. Age composion and growth of the large-scaleed mullet, Liza grandisquamis (pisces: Mugillidae), Valenciennes, 1836 on the New Calabar Estuary, off the Nigerian coast. Fisheries Research, 26, 67-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(95)00420-3
- NFRDI, 2004. Commercial fishes of the coastal & offshore waters in Korea. 77-78.
- Okumus, I. and N. Bascinar, 1997. Population structure, growth and reproduction of introduced Pacific mullet, Mugil soiuy, in the Black Sea. Fisheries Research, 33, 131-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(97)00073-8
- Park, S.W., J.H. Yu and C.H. Lee, 2006. Amylodinium sp. infestation in Mullet(Mugil cephalus) cultured in a pond on land. Korean J. Ichthyol., 19 (1), 7-16.
- Robillard, E., C.S. Reiss and C.M Jones, 2009. Agevalidation and growth of bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) along the east coast of the United States. Fisheries Research, 95, 65-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2008.07.012
- Steward, C.A, K.D. DeMaria and J.M. Shenker, 2009. Using otolith morphometrics to quickly and inexpensively predict age in the gray angelfish (Pomacanthus arcuatus). Fisheries Research, 99 (2), 123-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2009.05.011
- Yosef, T.G and J.M casselman, 1995. Recent developments in fish otolith research. Secor. D.H., J.M. Dean and S.E. Campana, ed. The Belle W. Baruch Institute for Marine Biology and Coastal Research by the University of South Carolina Press, USA, 247-269.
- Zhang, C. I., 2010. Marine Fisheries Resource Ecology. Pukyong National University Press, pp. 561.
- Stock assessment and Diagnosis of Flatted grey mullet, Mugil cephalus,in the coastal water of Yeosu vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.448