- Volume 47 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Catching efficiency of LED fishing lamp and behavioral reaction of common squid Todarodes pacificus to the shadow section of color LED light
LED 색광의 음영구역에 대한 살오징어의 행동반응 및 LED 집어등의 어획성능
- An, Young-Il (Dept. of marine police and Technology, Gangwon Provincial College) ;
- Jeong, Hak-Geun (Korea Institute of Energy Research)
- Received : 2011.07.06
- Accepted : 2011.08.04
- Published : 2011.08.31
This study made a comparative analysis of behavioral reaction of squid to red (624nm), green (524nm), blue (460nm) & white LED light, its arrival time for the shadow section by making the shadow section in the central section of a water tank just like the bottom part of a squid jigging vessel, and on-site catching efficiency of LED fishing lamp with control fishing vessel. The color LED light showing the highest squidgathering rate as against the shadow section was found to be blue LED light with 39.3% rate under the dark (0.05lx) condition. Under the brighter condition than 0.05lx, white LED light was found to have the highest gathering rate of 41.5%. In addition, it was found that squid gathering rate was high at the shadow section which showed 6.3-fold brightness difference between the shadow section and bright section. As for the arrival time for the shadow section, blue LED light was found to be the fastest in attracting squids in 192.7 seconds under the dark condition while the red LED light was the fastest in luring squids in 164.6 seconds under the bright condition. The ratio of the squid-jigging operation and sailing in fuel consumption of the fishing vessel loaded with LED fishing lamp is about 7 to 1, showing most of the fuel is consumed more in sailing than in squid-jigging operation. As for a catch of squid, the control vessel loaded with MH (Metal Halide) fishing lamp had more catch of 600-7,080 squids than the vessel loaded with LED fishing lamp having a catch of 260-1,700 squids. In addition, even in the comparison of a catch per automatic jigging machine, the catch of the vessel loaded with MH fishing lamp excelled that of the vessel loaded with LED fishing lamp in 6 operations of squid jigging out of 9 operations. The ratio of hand-jigging and automatic jigging machine (one line) in the LED fishing lamp vessel was 1:1.1 excepting the case of having a catch only using an automatic jigging machine, showing almost the same with each other in catches, while in case of a MH fishing lamp vessel, its ratio against hand-jigging was 1 to 5.8, showing hand-jigging excelled in catches.
- An, Y.I., H.G. Jeong and B.M. Jung, 2009. Behaviroal reaction of common squid Todarodes pacificus to different colors of LED light. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 45, 135-143. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2009.45.3.135
- Arakawa, H., S.J. Choi, T. Arimoto and Y. Nakamura, 1998. Relationship between underwater irradiance and distribution of Japanese common squid under fishing lights of a squid jigging boat. Fisheries Science, 64, 553-557.
- Bae, B.S., E.C. Jeong, H.H, Park, D.S. Chang and Y.S. Yang, 2008. Behaviroal characteristic of Japanese flying squid Todarodes pacificus to LED light. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 44, 294-303. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.4.294
- Bae, B.S, B.J. Park, E.C. Jeong, Y.S. Yang, H.H. Park, Y.Y. Chun and D.S. Chang, 2009. Design and performance evaluation of fish-luring system using the air cooled LED lamp for jigging and angling boat. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 45, 85-95. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2009.45.2.085
- Inada, H., 2011. Aim of R&D on LED fishing light. Report of the 2010 annual meeting on squid resources, pp. 12-13.
- Inada, H. and T. Arimoto, 2007. Trends on reseach and development of fishing light in Japan. J. Illum.Engng. Inst. Jpn., 91(4), 199-209.
- Inoue, M., 1978. Fish behaviour and fishing method. Kouseisha-kouseikaku, Tokyo, pp. 83-92.
- Okutani, T., 1992. The earth of animals 65. Ashi encyclopedia, pp. 158-159
- Sakai, T., 2011. Current status and issues on development of LED fishing lights for squid jigging fisheries in Japan. Report of the 2010 annual meeting on squid resources, pp. 4-11.
- Shikata, T., 2010. Light fishing: Re-innovation of technology and management. Inada, H., Arimoto, T., Nagashima, N. and Iida, K. ed. Kouseishakouseikaku, Tokyo, pp. 121-133.
- Takahashi, K., S. Omoji, M. Taniguchi, G. Takayama, H. Yamashita, M. Ogawa and Y. Ochi, 2011. Current status on verification test of the underwater LED light for squid jigging fisheries. Report of the 2010 annual meeting on squid resources, pp. 27-45.
- Yamashita, Y., Y. Matsushit and T. Azuno, 2011. Catch and energy-saving performances of LED and metal halide lamps equipped small squid jigging boats. Report of the 2010 annual meeting on squid resources, pp. 22-26.
- Yang, Y.R., 1988. Response of striped puffer to the white lights. Bull. Korean Fish. Tech. Soc., 24, 144-149.
- Fishing efficiency of LED fishing lamp for squid Todarodes pacificus by training ship vol.48, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.3.187
- The retinular responses of common squid Todarodes pacificus for energy efficient fishing lamp using LED vol.54, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.08.051
- Catch performance and fuel consumption of LED fishing lamps in the Korea hairtail angling fishery vol.83, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-017-1072-6
- Fishing efficiency of high capacity (360W) LED fishing lamp for squid Todarodes pacificus vol.50, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.326
- Distribution patterns of the Japanese common squid, Todarodes pacificus attracted around the luring lamp on the jigging boat vol.52, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.3.276
- Applications of light-emitting diodes in researches conducted in aquatic environment vol.32, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.01.047
- Behavioral reaction of hairtail (Trichinus lepturus) to different colors of LED light vol.52, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2016.52.3.183
- Artificial Light in Commercial Industrialized Fishing Applications: A Review pp.2330-8257, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/23308249.2018.1496065