- Volume 15 Issue 3
A shell-and-tube oil cooler with plate fins was suggested to improve the defect of the conventional shell-and-tube oil cooler. Experiments were conducted to evaluate the heat transfer performance on the shell side of shell-and-plate finned tube oil cooler with three different tube numbers(9, 13 and 19). Oil flowing on the shell side was cooled by cold water flowing inside the tubes. A shell-and-tube heat exchanger of an oil cooler consisted of one shell pass and two tube passes with the inner tube diameter of 8.82 mm and the tube length of 575 mm. From the experiment of shell-and-tube oil cooler, it was found that the heat transfer coefficient of oil cooler with 9 tubes, as oil flow rate was increased, was approximately 140% and 250% higher than that of 13 and 19 tubes, respectively. The heat transfer coefficient at the water flow rate of
- Tabroek, J., Hewitt, G.F., and Afgan, N., 1983, "Heat Exchanger Design: Theory and Practice", Hemisphere Publication, Washington.
- TEMA, 1988, "Standards of Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association", seventh ed., New York.
- Mills, A.F., 1992, "Heat transfers", Irwin, USA.
- Shah, R. K, and Sekulic, D. P., 2003, "Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design", John Wiley and Sons, Inc., NJ.
- Taborek, J., 1983, "Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers: Single-Phase Flow", Heat Exchanger Design Hand Book, Hemisphere, New York, section 3.3.
- Walker, G., 1990, "Industrial Heat Exchangers - A Basic Guide, 2nd ed.", Hemisphere Publishing Co., New York.
- Incropera, F. P. and DeWitt, D. P., 1996, "Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, 4th ed.", John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York.
- Kovarik, M., 1989, "Optimal Heat Transfer", J. Heat Transfer Ill, pp. 287-293.
- Brognaux, L. J., Webb, R. L., Chamra, L. M., and Chung, B. Y, 1997, "Single-Phase Heat Transfer in Micro-Fin Tubes", lnt. J, Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 40, No. 18, pp. 4345-4357. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(97)00078-1
- Han, D. H., and Lee, K J., 2005, "Single-Phase Heat Transfer and Flow Characteristics of Micro-Fin Tubes", Appl. Therm. Eng., Vol. 25, pp. 1657-1669. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2004.10.015
- Newell, T. A, and Shah, R. K, 1999, "Refrigerant Heat Transfer, Pressure Drop, and Void Fraction Effects in Micro Fin Tubes", in: Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Two phase Flow and Experimentation, Edizioni ETS, Italy. Vol. 3, pp.1623-1639.
- Webb, R. L., 1994, "Principles of Enhanced Heat Transfer, Wiley", New York.
- Kline, S. J., and McClintock, F. A, 1953, "Describing uncertainties in single-sample experiments", Mech. Eng. Vol. 1, pp. 3-8.