- Volume 36 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Tractor PTO Severeness during Rotary Tillage Operation
로타리 경운작업 시 트랙터 PTO 가혹도 평가
- Received : 2011.06.01
- Accepted : 2011.06.14
- Published : 2011.06.25
Analysis of load on major parts of the tractor power drive line is critical for efficient and optimum design of a tractor. The purpose of this study was to evaluate severeness of the tractor PTO driving axle during rotary tillage operation. First, S-N (stress vs. number of cycle) curve of a PTO driving gear was obtained through the fatigue life test using a PTO dynamometer. Second, PTO severeness was evaluated during rotary tillage operation. Torque measurement system was constructed with strain-gauge sensors to measure torque of a PTO axle, an I/O interface to acquire the sensor signals, and an embedded system to calculate severeness. The severeness of PTO was analyzed using measured torque data during rotary tillage. In the PTO gear life fatigue test, breakage time and bending stress of the gear were measured by tooth widths and torque change during the fatigue life test. The S-N curve showed a good linear relationship between bending stress and number of cycle (life) with a coefficient of determination of 0.97. For PTO severenss evaluation, rotary tillage operations were conducted at two PTO rotational speeds (level-1, level-2) under different paddy and upland field sites with different soil conditions. Results of averaged relative severeness for PTO level-1 and PTO level-2 were 1.96 and 3.34, respectively, at paddy field sites, and they were 1.36 and 2.51, respectively, at upland field sites. The results showed that the PTO driving axle experienced more severe load during rotary tillage at paddy fields than at upland sites, and relative severeness was greater at the higher PTO rotational speed under all of the soil conditions.
Tractor;Rotary tillage;PTO driving gear;Fatigue life test;S-N curve;Relative severeness
ASTM. 1981. ASTM standard E739-80: Statistical Analysis of Linear or Linearized Stress-life (S-N) and Strain-life (
$\varepsilon$-N) Fatigue Data. American Society for Testing and Materials, Pittsburgh, USA.
- Almen, O., and J. C. Straub. 1937. Factors Influencing the Durability of Automobile Transmission Gears. Automotive Industries 77(13):426-432.
- Bannantine, J. A., J. J. Corner, and J. L. Handrock. 1990. Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis. Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA.
- Gerlach, A. 1966. Field measurement of tractor transmission forces. Transactions of the ASAE 9(5):707-12. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.40078
- Grubisic, V. 1994. Determination of load spectra for design and testing. International Journal of Vehicle Design 15(1): 8-26.
- Korea Agricultural Machinery Industry Cooperative (KAMICO) and Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery (KSAM). 2010. Agricultural Machinery Yearbook in Republic of Korea. Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery, Suwon, Korea. (In Korean)
- Han, K. H., K. U. Kim, and Y. G. Wu. 1999. Severeness of transmission loads of agricultural tractor for rotary operations in poorly drained paddy field. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 24(4):293-300. (In Korean)
- Kim, D. H., G. G. Kim, J. H. Kim, and B. W. Ahn. 2005. Fatigue test and analysis of automotive bevel gear. Proceedings of the KSME 2005 Spring Conference pp. 736-741. (In Korean)
- Kim, H. I., B. K. Bae, J. S. Park, C. S. Seok, and J. Y. Mo. 2004. Fatigue life evaluation of an actual structure under the irregular loading using an acceleration test. Proceedings of the KSPE 2004 Autumn Conference pp. 71-74. (In Korean)
- Kim, J. H. 1998. Analysis of Mission and Transmission Loads of Agricultural Tractors. Unpublished MS thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. (In Korean)
- Kim, J. H., K. U. Kim, C. W. Choi, and Y. G. Wu. 1998. Severeness of transmission loads of agricultural tractors. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 23(5):417-426. (In Korean)
- Kim, Y. J., J. W. Choi, S. O. Chung, S. J. Park, and C. H. Choi. 2011a. Development of power requirement measurement system of agricultural tractor. Proceedings of the KSAM 2011 Winter Conference 16(1):124-131. (In Korean)
- Kim, Y. J., S. O. Chung, S. J. Park, and C. H. Choi. 2011b. Analysis of power requirement of agricultural tractor by major field operation. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 36(2): 79-88. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.2.79
- Lee, W. H., and Y. M. Hur. 1990. An experimental study of bending fatigue life (S-N curve) of the helical gear for the automotive transmission. Transactions of the KSAE 12(6):11-17. (In Korean)
- Litvin, F. L., and A. Fuentes. 2004. Gear Geometry and Applied Theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Nahmgung, M. J. 2001. Load Analysis of Driving Axles and Life Evaluation of Driving Gear of PTO on Tractors. Ph.D. Dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Korea. (In Korean)
- Park, S. H., Y. J. Kim, D. H. Im, C. K. Kim, S. C. Jung, H. J. Kim, J. S. Lee, and S. S. Kim. 2010. Characteristics of tractor PTO power and work loads. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 35(1):15-20. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2010.35.1.015
- Park, W. Y., and K. S. Lee. 2003. Prediction of bulk type trailer capacity in consideration of soil physical properties of paddy field. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 28(1):1-10. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2003.28.1.001
- Seo, I. H., B. H. Cho, C. S. Kim, J. J. Oh, S. C. Cho, Y. G. Lee, and K. D. Kim. 2007. Formation of working path and development of performance appraising technology for tractor unmanned tillage(3) -develop of a program and algorithm for tractor working path-. Proceedings of the KSAM 2007 Summer Conference 12(2):364-372. (In Korean)
- Development of a hydraulic power transmission system for the 3-point hitch of 50-kW narrow tractors vol.43, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160048
- Tillage Characteristics Estimation of Crank-type and Rotary-type Rotavators by Motion Analysis of Tillage Blades vol.37, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2012.37.5.279
- Performance Test of a Real-Time Measurement System for Horizontal Soil Strength in the Field vol.41, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2016.41.4.304
- Analysis of the effects of operating point of tractor engine on fatigue life of PTO gear using simulation vol.43, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160047
- Analysis of Power Requirement of Agricultural Tractor during Baler Operation vol.36, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.4.243
- Analysis of the axle load of an agricultural tractor during plow tillage and harrowing vol.43, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160087