- Volume 12 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on Added Filters for Reduction of Radiation Exposure Dose in Skull A-P Projection
머리부 전후방향촬영 시 방사선피폭선량 저감을 위한 부가여과판에 대한 연구
- Received : 2011.05.16
- Accepted : 2011.07.07
- Published : 2011.07.31
Skull A-P projections are the bi-product where the ESD (Entrance Surface Dose) for digital radiography is much higher than that conventional screen-film radiography. Therefore, the aim of this study was to reduce radiation doses to patients by using an added filter. This research focuses on the identification of the reduction of exposure to radiation based on the thickness of an added filter when applying the 'Skull A-P Projection' by using the 'Skull Phantom'. Also, an experiment was conducted to evaluate the qualitative decline of images through filtration. The measurement of one's exposed dose to radiation was executed by locating the 'Skull Phantom' on the position of the 'Skull AP,' while changing 16 kinds of added filters from 0.1 mmAl to 0.5 mmCu + 2.0 mmAl in terms of incident and penetrating doses. For the qualitative evaluation of images, a total number of 17 images have been acquired in the 'Skull Phantom' under the same conditions as those for the measurement of one's exposed dose. The acquired images have been evaluated by a radiological specialist. As a result, the images with a diagnostic value have been obtained by using such added filters as the compound filter of 0.2 mmCu +1.0 mmAl. The exposed dose absorbed on the 'Skull Phantom' is about 0.6 mGy. The value is only 12% of 5 mGy, the ESD value acquired on the 'Skull P-A Projection', which is recommended by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). As a result, depending on the parts of inspection, it is possible to reduce the patient's exposed dosage of radiation considerably by using an appropriate added filter.
Reduction of exposure to radiation;Added filter;Skull A-P projection
- B. S. Kang and C. S. Lim, "A Study on the Environmental Radiation Dose Measurement in the Nuclear Medicine Department ", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.11, No.6, pp.2118-2123, June, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.6.2118
- Y. H. Kim, " Method for Measurement of Entrance Surface Dose and Role of Radiation technologist", Journal of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.28, No.3, pp.173-191, September, 2005.
- Y. H. Kim et al, "Patient exposure doses from medical X-ray examninations in Korea", Journal of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.28, No.3, pp. 241-248, September, 2005.
- J. M. Kim and S. C. Kim, "The thickness of Cu Filter to reduce 1/2 of the patient dose", Journal of Korean Society of Radiolotical Technology, Vol.24, No.1, pp.17-22, June, 2001.
- K. M. Choi et al. "The Reduction of Radiation Dose Using Key-Filter in Chest Radiography", Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, Vol.19, No.2, pp.67-70, December, 1996.
- B. S. Lim, "Radiation Exposure Dose on Persons Engaged in Radiation-related Industries in Korea", Journal of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.29, No.3, pp.185-195, September, 2006.
- C. S. Lim and S. H. Kim, "A Study on the Radiation Dose Managements in the Nuclear Medicine Department", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.10, No.7, pp.1760-1765, July, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.7.1760
- W. K. Choi et al. "Shielding Effect according to the Direction of Control Room Door Opening during Radiography", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.11, No.9, pp.3347-3352, September, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.9.3347
- ICRP, 1990 Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection , Publication 60, Annals of the ICRP Vol.21, No. 1-3, Pergomon Press, Oxford, 1991.
- National Institude of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation, "Technical Information for Skull X-ray radiography", pp.1-47, December, 2010.
- IAEA, International basic safety standards for protection against inoizing radiation and the safety of radiation sources, IAEA Safety Series No.115, Vienna, pp.279-280, 1996.
- G. H. Jo et al, "A Study on the Exposure Parameter and the Patient Dose for Digital Radiography System in Dae Goo", Journal of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.31, No.2, pp.177-182, June, 2008.
- I. J. Lee, "Evaluation of Image According to Exposure Conditions using Contrast-Detail Phantom for Chest Digital Radiography", Journal of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol.32, No.1, pp.25-31, March, 2009.
- G Compagnone, et al., "Comparison of radiation doses to patients undergoing standard radiographic examinations with conventional screen-film radiography, computed radiography and direct digital radiography", British Journal of Radiology, Vol.79, pp.899-904, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/57138583
- A. Aroua et al., "Adult reference levels in diagnostic and interventional radiology for temporary use in switzerland", Radiation Protection Dosimetry, Vol.111, No.3, pp.289-295, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/nch343
- A Analysis of Effectiveness of Aluminium Filter in the added Compound Filtration by Detective Quantum Efficiency and Image Quality Evaluation vol.15, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.10.362
- A study of beam hardening effect reduction occur in brain CT vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8479
Supported by : 한국연구재단