- Volume 22 Issue 2
The Effects of a Self-esteem and Smoking Cessation Self-efficiency Improvement Program on Smoking High School Students
자아존중감 및 금연 자기효능감 증진 프로그램이 흡연 고등학생에게 미치는 효과
- Kim, Young-Sook (Department of Nursing, Uiduk University)
- 김영숙 (위덕대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2011.02.17
- Accepted : 2011.05.26
- Published : 2011.06.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to understand the effects of a program to improve self-esteem and smoking cessation self-efficiency on smoking high school students' self-esteem, smoking cessation self-efficiency, amount of smoking, cotinine in urine, and carbon monoxide while exhalation. Methods: This research was conducted as a quasi-experimental pretest and posttest control and experimental group methodological comparison study. The subjects were 45 smoking high school students (Exp.=22, Cont.=23) in U City. Data were collected from October 19 to December 7, 2010, and analyzed using the SPSS/WIN 12.0 program by frequency, Mann-Whitney test, means, standard deviations, and Willcoxon signed rank test. Results: After the treatment, those belonging to the experimental group showed significantly increased self-esteem and smoking cessation self-efficacy and also showed decreased amount of smoking, cotinine in urine, and carbon monoxide while exhalation compared to the control group. Conclusion: The self-esteem and smoking cessation self-efficacy improvement program was effective in improving self-esteem and smoking cessation self-efficacy and in diminishing the amount of smoking, cotinine in urine and carbon monoxide while exhalation. Therefore, this program is recommended as a smoking cessation strategy for smoking adolescents.
- Brady, S. S., & Donenberg, G. R. (2006). Mechanisms linking violence exposure to health risk behavior in adolescence: Motivation to cope and sensation seeking. Journal the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 45, 673-680. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.chi.0000215328.35928.a9
- Choi, E. Y., & Yang, J. K. (2005). Counseling on juvenile delinquency and drug abuse. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Choi, W. B. (2001). The analysis of factors affecting adolescents' smoking. Unpublished master's thesis, Daejeon University, Daejeon.
- Choi, Y. M. (2010). The effect of group ceramic art therapy for the self confidence and conviction in smoking adolescents. Unpublished master's thesis, Wonkwang University, Iksan.
- Chung, Y. I., & Nam, E. W. (2001). Are you still smoking. Seoul: Gyechuk munhwasa.
- Collins, R. L., & Ellickson, P. L. (2004). Integrating four theories of adolescent smoking. Substance Use & Misuse, 39, 179-209. https://doi.org/10.1081/JA-120028487
- Ellis, A. (1962). Reason and emotion in psychotherapy. Secaucus, NJ: Citadel.
- Jang, G. H. (2005). The effect of the smoking cessation group counseling program on smoking cessation self efficacy among boys' vocational high school students. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- Jee, Y. J. (2009). The effects of smoking cessation program using self regulated learning strategy in middle school boys. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Pusan.
- Jung, B. S. (2002). The study on the effect of cognitivebehavioral anti- smoking program for high school students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Inje University, Pusan.
- Kang, S. Y., & Kim, S. N. (2005). School-based educational programs for anti-tobacco use at Busan middle and high schools. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 22 (4), 91-105.
- Kim, H. O. (2003). A study on the smoking related social influence, refusal skill and nonsmoking related self-efficacy among adolescents. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 9 (3), 237-249.
- Kim, H. S., & Kim. K. S. (2002). The relation between drinking, drug abuse and delinquent behaviors. Neuropsychiatric Medicine, 41 (3), 472-485.
- Kim, C. H. (1995). The study on the adaptation and self esteem of returnee adolescents. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul Womans University, Seoul.
- Korean Association of Smoking and Health (2008, September 19). Adolescent smoking rate: 2008. Retrieved March 20, 2010, from http://www.kash.or.kr/user_new/pds_view.asp
- Korean Association of Smoking and Health (2009, December 2). Adult smoking rate: 2009. Retrieved March 20, 2010, from http://www.kash.or.kr/user_new/pds_view.asp
- Lee, J. H., Kang, E. S., Lee, M. H., & Lee, Y. E. (2001). The effect of self efficacy promotion smoking cessation program for middle school students. Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 12 (3), 716-731.
- Lee, H. S. (2005). A study on evaluation of effects of juvenile smoking cessation program applied by transtheoretical model. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Busan.
- Lee, K. E. (2003). Analysis of anti smoking effect through YP anti smoking education program. Unpublished master's thesis, Myongji University, Seoul.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare & Family Affairs (2008, February 21). A guide of national smoking prevention and smoking cessation program in 2008. Retrieved March 5, 2010, from http://www.mw.go.kr/front/sch/search.jsp
- Oh, Y. M. (2003). The effects of cognitive behavior smoking cessation program and nicotine patch on smoking, stress coping strategies and self efficacy of high school student. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju.
- Park, Y. H. (2001). A study about self-esteem, anxiety and depression of smoking adolescent. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Pavanello, S., & Clonfero, E. (2000). Biomakers of gentotoxic risk and metabolic polymorphism. Medicina del Lavoro, 91 (5), 431-469.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Shin, S. R. (1999). The study on the development of a self regulatory efficacy promoting program and it's effect on adolescent smoking. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Shin, Y. H. (2003). The effect of anti- smoking program for girl's middle school smokers. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul Womans University, Seoul.
- Soroor, P., Alireza, N., Said, P. T., & Sienceholeh, S. (2005). Adolescents' perspectives on addiction: Qualitative study. Nursing and Health Sciences, 7 , 192-198. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2005.00237.x
- The American Cancer Society (2003). Cancer facts and figures 2003. Retrieved October 19, 2008, from http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/CAFF2003PWSecured.pdf