- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Organic Materials, Chitosan, Wood Vinegar, and EM Active Solution on Soil Microbial and Growth in Chinese Cabbage
유기농자재인 키토산, 목초액 및 EM 활성액의 처리에 따른 배추의 생육과 토양 미생물상에 미치는 영향
Jeong, Soon-Jae;Cho, Mi-Yong;Seok, Woon-Young;Lee, Sang-Lok;Lee, Hyoung-Joo;Oh, Ju-Sung
- Received : 2011.02.14
- Accepted : 2011.04.05
- Published : 2011.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of organic materials, chitosan, wood vinegar, and EM active solution, on soil microbial and growth in Chinese cabbage. The organic materials were treated with chitosan, wood vinegar, and EM (effective microoganism) active solution, and the treatment concentration was 100 times solution and 1,000 times solution level with foliar application. The results are summarized as follows: Among foliar application of organic materials treatment plot[?], with 1,000 times solution level of chitosan was effective in inhibiting microbial growth in Chinese cabbage compared to other plots and control. The microorganism number in the soil for cultivation of Chinese cabbage increased with organic materials treatment plot as compared with control. Especially, 1,000 times solution level of chitosan showed the most significant effect.
Chitosan;Wood Vinegar;effective microorganism (EM);microorganisms
- Ahmad, J. S. and R. baker. 1987. Rhizosphere competence of tricoderma harzianum. Phytopathol. 77, 182-189. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-77-182
- An, G. M. 1998. Components of wood using carbide. Mokpo University Symposium. 11-57.
- El Ghaouth, A., J. Arul, R. Ponnampalam, and M. Boulet. 1991. Chitosan coating effect on storability and quality of fresh stawberries. J. Food Sci. 56, 1618-1620. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb08655.x
- Hadwiger, L. A., and J. M. Beckman. 1980. Chitosan as a component of Pea-Fusarium solani interactions. Plant Physiol. 66, 205-211. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.66.2.205
- Hirano, S. and N. Nagao. 1989. Effects of chitosan, pectic acid, lysozyme, and chitinase on the growth of several phytopahogens. Agric. Sio. Chem. 53, 3065-3066. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.53.3065
- Higa. 1993. Agricultural utilization of microorganisms and environmental conservation. pp.77-92, Horticulture Technical Information Center, Korea.
- Jeong, S. J., J. S. Oh., W. Y. Seok., J. H. Kim., D. H. Kim, and W. B. Chung. 2006. Effect of chitosan, wood vinegar and EM on microorganisms in soil and early growth of Tomato. Korean J. Organ. Agric. 14, 433-443.
- Jeong, S. J., J. S. Oh., W. Y. Seok., J. H. Kim., M. Y.Cho, and J. B. Seo. 2007. The effect of chitosan and wood vinegar treatment on the growth of eggplant and leaf lettuce. Korean J. Organ. Agric. 15, 437-452.
- Jo, S. T. 1998. Carbonized wood and materials developed standardized. Carbonized Wood International Symposium on Agricultural and Environmental Uses. 151-166.
- Kendra, D. F, and A. Hadwiger. 1984. Characterization of the smallest chitosan oligomer that is maximally antifungal to Fusarium solani and elicits pisatin formation in pisum sativum. Exp. Mycol. 8, 276. https://doi.org/10.1016/0147-5975(84)90013-6
- Khambunruang, W., W. Saenwong, S. Siriphanicharoen, and P. Phromnat. 1995. Efferciency of EM in increasing rice yield. pp. 98-102, In Seminar on the project for Researches into EM and the Effects of its use on Agriculture and Environment, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Kim, K. H. 1995. Agricultural research, based on tests. Rural development administration.
- Lee, Y. H. and B. C. Jang. 2000. Identification and use of activated substance derived from the commercialized environmental friendly agro-materials on plant growth. pp. 337-345, Agro-Environment Research 2000. Department of Agro-Environment. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology. RDA.
- Lee, Y. S. and C. O. Lee. 1999. Change of free sugars, lipoxygenase activity and effects of chitosan treatment during cultivation of soybean sprout. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 31, 115-121.
- Nishimura, K., C. Ishihara, S. Ukei, S. Tokura, and I. Azuma. 1986. Stimulaton of cytokine production in mice using deacetylated chitin. Vaccine 4, 151. https://doi.org/10.1016/0264-410X(86)90002-2
- Kim, J. M., C. W. Son, H. P. Seo, B. J. Moon, S. K. Do, and J. W. Lee. 2002. Effect of microbial product on microorganisms in soil and growth of cabbage. Korean J. Life Sci. 12, 515-522. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2002.12.5.515
- Rural Development Administration. 2004. Frendly environment. Organic farming agricultural use manuals. Rural Development Administration.
- Sharifuddin, H. A. H., M. F. Shahbuddin, and A. R. Anuar. 1996. Nature farming research in Malaysia: Effect of organic amendments and EM on crop production. pp. 145-150, In Parr, J. F., S. B. Hornick, and M. E. Simpson (eds.)., Proceedings of the third international conference on kyusei nature farming. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Song, C. K. and B. K. Kang. 1999. Effects of foliar application of chitosan and wood extraction on rooting and tuber formation of plug seeding in potatoes. Korean J. Organ. Agric. 8, 89-100.
- Sugano, M., K. Yoshida, H. hashimoto, K. Enomoto, and S. Hirano. 1992. Hypocholesterolemic activity of partially hydrolyzed chitosan in rats. pp. 472-478, In Brine, C. J., P. A. Sandford, and J. P. Zikakis, Advances in chitin and chitosan, Elsevier Applied Science, London and N.Y.
- Thukair, A. A. 2002. Effect of soil pollution on euendolithic cyanobacteria of the Arabian gulf. Environ. Microbiol. 4, 125-129. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1462-2920.2002.00276.x
- Trewavas, A. 2001. Urban myths of organic farming. Nature 410, 409-410. https://doi.org/10.1038/35068639
- Uhm, M. J., H. C. Park., Y. H. Moon., K. C. Kim, and S. G. Han. 2002. Effect of chitosan and wood vinegar on the growth and nutrient absorption of Red Pepper (Capsicum annum L.). Society Envir. Control 11, 67-73.