- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Distribution of Cytoplasm and Nuclei within the Extra-radical Mycelia in Glomus intraradices, a Species of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi
- Lee, Jai-Koo (Gyeonggi Science High School for The Gifted)
- Received : 2011.01.20
- Accepted : 2011.04.04
- Published : 2011.06.30
Nuclear distribution within the extra-radical fungal structures and during spore production in the arbuscular mycorrhizae fungus Glomus intraradices was examined using an in vitro monoxenic culture system. A di-compartmental monoxenic culture system was modified using a nitrocellulose membrane and a coverglass slip for detailed observations. Nuclear distribution was observed using the fluorescent DNA binding probes SYBR Green I and DAPI. Both septate and non-septate mycelial regions were observed, but cytoplasmic contents were only found within non-septate mycelia. Nuclear fluorescent staining revealed that the non-septate hyphal region contained nuclei only with cytoplasm, and that nuclear distribution was limited by septa. Swollen hyphal bodies were often associated with septate and empty-looking hyphae. Cytoplasmic contents filled the swollen hyphal body from the non-septate hyphal region following removal of the septa. As a consequence, the swollen body developed into a new spore. These observations provide understanding about the distribution of AM fungal nuclei within extra-radical mycelia and during spore formation. The results suggest a mechanism by which the development of a cytoplasm-containing mycelium is controlled by the formation or removal of septa to efficiently maintain and proliferate essential contents. This mechanism may provide a survival strategy to the fungus.
- Remy W, Taylor TN, Hass H, Kerp H. Four hundred-millionyear- old vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1994;91:11841-3 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.91.25.11841
- Balestrini R, Bianciotto V, Bonfante-Fasolo P. Nuclear architecture and DNA location in two VAM fungi. Mycorrhiza 1992;1:105-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00203257
- Bianciotto V, Bonfante P. Quantification of the nuclear DNA content of two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Mycol Res 1992;96:1071-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0953-7562(09)80118-4
- Bago B, Azcon-Aguilar C, Piche Y. Architecture and developmental dynamics of the external mycelium of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices grown under monoxenic conditions. Mycologia 1998;90:52-62. https://doi.org/10.2307/3761011
- Bago B, Azcon-Aguilar C, Goulet A, Piche Y. Branched absorbing structures (BAS): a feature of the extraradical mycelium of symbiotic arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytol 1998;139:375-88. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1469-8137.1998.00199.x
- Becard G, Pfeffer PE. Status of nuclear division in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi during in vitro development. Protoplasma 1993;174:62-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01404043
- Vierheilig H, Knoblauch M, Juergensen K, van Bel AJ, Grundler FM, Piche Y. Imaging arbuscular mycorrhizal structures in living roots of Nicotiana tabacum by light, epi-fluorescence, and confocal laser scanning microscopy. Can J Bot 2001;79:231-7.
- Dreyer B, Morte A, Pérez-Gilabert M, Honrubia M. Autofluorescence detection of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal structures in palm roots: an underestimated experimental method. Mycol Res 2006;110:887-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mycres.2006.05.011
- Helber N, Requena N. Expression of the fluorescence markers DsRed and GFP fused to a nuclear localization signal in the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices. New Phytol 2008;177:537-48.
- Bago B, Zipfel W, Williams RM, Piche Y. Nuclei of symbiotic arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi as revealed by in vivo twophoton microscopy. Protoplasma 1999;209:77-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01415703
- Becard G, Fortin JA. Early events of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza formation on Ri T-DNA transformed roots. New Phytol 1988;108:211-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.1988.tb03698.x
- St-Arnaud M, Hamel C, Vimard B, Caron M, Fortin JA. Enhanced hyphal growth and spore production of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices in an in vitro system in the absence of host roots. Mycol Res 1996;100:328-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0953-7562(96)80164-X
- Robinow CF. Observations on cell growth, mitosis, and division in the fungus Basidiobolus ranarum. J Cell Biol 1963;17:123-52. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.17.1.123
- Bago B, Vierheilig H, Piche Y, Azcon-Aguilar C. Nitrate depletion and pH changes induced by the extraradical mycelium of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices grown in monoxenic culture. New Phytol 1996;133:273-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.1996.tb01894.x
- Villegas J, Williams RD, Nantais L, Archambault J, Fortin JA. Effects of N source on pH and nutrient exchange of extramatrical mycelium in a mycorrhizal Ri T-DNA transformed root system. Mycorrhiza 1996;6:247-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005720050132
- Giovannetti M, Fortuna P, Citernesi AS, Morini S, Nuti MP. The occurrence of anastomosis formation and nuclear exchange in intact arbuscular mycorrhizal networks. New Phytol 2001;151:717-24. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0028-646x.2001.00216.x
- Giovannetti M, Sbrana C, Strani P, Agnolucci M, Rinaudo V, Avio L. Genetic diversity of isolates of Glomus mosseae from different geographic areas detected by vegetative compatibility testing and biochemical and molecular analysis. Appl Environ Microbiol 2003;69:616-24. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.1.616-624.2003
- Avio L, Pellegrino E, Bonari E, Giovannetti M. Functional diversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal isolates in relation to extraradical mecelial networks. New Phytol 2006;172:347-57 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01839.x
- Giovannetti M, Azzolini D, Citernesi AS. Anastomosis formation and nuclear and protoplasmic exchange in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Appl Environ Microbiol 1999;65:5571-5.
- Croll D, Giovannetti M, Koch AM, Sbrana C, Ehinger M, Lammers PJ, Sanders IR. Nonself vegetative fusion and genetic exchange in the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices. New Phytol 2009;181:924-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2008.02726.x
- Trinci AP, Collinge AJ. Occlusion of the septal pores of damaged hyphae of Neurospora crassa by hexagonal crystals. Protoplasma 1974;80:57-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01666351
- Aylmore RC, Wakley GE, Todd NK. Septal sealing in the basidiomycete Coriolus versicolor. J Gen Microbiol 1984;130:2975-82.