- Volume 36 Issue 2
Clinical Apply of Dual Energy CT (kVp switching) : A Novel Approach for MAR(Metal Artifact Reduction) Method
듀얼에너지 CT(kvp switching)의 임상 적용: MAR(Metal Artifact Reduction) 알고리즘의 적용
- Kim, Myeong-Seong (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, National Cancer Center) ;
- Jeong, Jong-Seong (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, National Cancer Center) ;
- Kim, Myeong-Goo (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, National Cancer Center)
- Received : 2011.03.08
- Accepted : 2011.06.15
- Published : 2011.06.30
OThe purpose of this article was to measure and compare the value of the metal artifact reduction (MAR) algorithm by Dual energy(kVp switching) CT (Computed Tomography) for non using MAR and we introduced new variable Dual energy CT applications through a clinical scan. The used equipment was GE Discovery 750HD with Dual-Energy system(kVp switching). CT scan was performed on the neck and abdomen area subject for patients. Studies were from Dec 20 2010 to Feb 10 2011 and included 25 subject patients with prosthesis. We were measured the HU (Hounsfield Unit) and noise value at metal artifact appear(focal loss of signal and white streak artifact area) according to the using MAR algorithm. Statistical analyses were performed using the paired sample t-test. In patient subject case, the statistical difference of showing HU was p=0.01 and p=0.04 respectively. At maximum black hole artifact area and white streak artifact area according to the using MAR algorithm. However noise was p=0.05 and p=0.04 respectively; and not the affected black hole and white streak artifact area. Dual Energy CT with the MAR algorithm technique is useful reduce metal artifacts and could improve the diagnostic value in the diagnostic image evaluation of metallic implants area.
- 임흥선, 김기홍, 김명구, 김승철, 김영근, 김정삼, 김현수, 대창민, 민관홍, 박병래 외 15명. Scan Protocol. 아카데미아, 2009.
- Brown CL, Hartman RP, Dzyubak OP, Takahashi N, Kawashima A, McCollough CH, Bruesewitz MR, Primak AM, Fletcher JG. Dual-energy CT iodine overlay technique for characterization of renal masses as cyst or solid a phantom feasibility study. European Journal of Radiology 2009;19(5):1289-1295. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-008-1273-6
- Joshi M, Aluri S, Procknow K, Langan DA, Sahani DS. Effective atomic number accuracy for kidney stone characterization using spectral CT. Medical Imaging 2010 : Physics of Medical Imaging 2010; Proc. SPIE 7622:76223K1-76223K12.
- Liu PT, Pavlicek WP, Peter MB, Spangehl MJ, Roberts CC, Paden RG. Metal artifact reduction image reconstruction algorithm for CT implanted metal orthopedic devices a work in progress. Skeletal Radiol. 2009;38(8):797-802. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-008-0630-5
- Prell D, Kalender WA, Kyriakou Y. Development, implementation and evaluation of a dedicated metal artefact reduction method for interventional flat-detector CT. British Journal of Radiology 2010; 83(996):1052-1062. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/19113084
- Yanagawa M, Tomiyama N, Honda O, Kikuyamya A, Sumikawa H, Ionoue A, Tobino K. Multidetector CT of the Lung: Image Quality with Garnet-based Detectors. Radiology 2010;255:944-954. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.10091010
- Alberto Santamaria-pang, Sandeep Dutta, Sokratis Makroqiannis, Amy Hara, William Pavlic다, Alvin Silva, Brian Thomsen, Scott Robertson, Darin Okerlund, David A, Langan. Automated liver lesion characterization using fast kvp switching dual energy computed tomography imaging. Medical Imaging. 2010;doi:10.1117/12.844059.
- Naveen C and David AL. Gemstone Detector: Dual Energy Imaging via Fast kvp Switching. Medical Radiology 2011;35-41.
- Sablayrolles JL, Feignoux J, Izzilio R, Barrau V, Rodallec M, Ayestaran P. CT Spectral imaging in cardio vascular imaging. AFIM 2010.
- Takahashi N, Hartman RP, Vrtiska TJ, Kawashima A, Primak AN, Dzyubak OP, Mandrekar JN, Fletcher JG, McCollough CH. Dual-Energy CT iodine-subtraction Virtual Unenhanced Technique to Detect Urinary Stones in an Iodine-Filled Collecting System: A Phantom Study. AJR. 2008;190(5):1169-1173. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.3154
- Karacaaltincaba M, Aktas A. Dual-energy CT revisited with multidetector CT: review of principles and clinical applications. Diagn. Interv. Radiol. 2010;doi:10.4261/1305-3825.
- Muller J, Buzug TM. Spurious structures created by interpolation-based CT metal artifact reduction. Medical Imaging 2009 : Physics of Medical Imaging 2009;Proc.SPIE 7258:72581Y1 -72581Y8.