- Volume 5 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
External cross-validation of bioelectrical impedance analysis for the assessment of body composition in Korean adults
- Kim, Hyeoi-Jin (Measurement and evaluation in sports science, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kim, Chul-Hyun (Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Antiaging Research Center, School of Medicine, Eulji University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Won (Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, College of Medicine, Hanyang University) ;
- Park, Mi-Ra (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Eulji University) ;
- Park, Hye-Soon (Department of Family Medicine, Asan Medical Center) ;
- Min, Sun-Seek (Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Antiaging Research Center, School of Medicine, Eulji University) ;
- Han, Seung-Ho (Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Antiaging Research Center, School of Medicine, Eulji University) ;
- Yee, Jae-Yong (Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Antiaging Research Center, School of Medicine, Eulji University) ;
- Chung, So-Chung (Department of Pediatrics, Konkuk University Medical Center, School of Medicine, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Chan (Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Antiaging Research Center, School of Medicine, Eulji University)
- 투고 : 2010.12.28
- 심사 : 2011.06.14
- 발행 : 2011.06.30
Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) models must be validated against a reference method in a representative population sample before they can be accepted as accurate and applicable. The purpose of this study was to compare the eight-electrode BIA method with DEXA as a reference method in the assessment of body composition in Korean adults and to investigate the predictive accuracy and applicability of the eight-electrode BIA model. A total of 174 apparently healthy adults participated. The study was designed as a cross-sectional study. FM, %fat, and FFM were estimated by an eight-electrode BIA model and were measured by DEXA. Correlations between BIA_%fat and DEXA_%fat were 0.956 for men and 0.960 for women with a total error of 2.1%fat in men and 2.3%fat in women. The mean difference between BIA_%fat and DEXA_%fat was small but significant (P < 0.05), which resulted in an overestimation of
- Wells JCK. Body composition in childhood: effects of normal growth and disease. Proc Nutr Soc 2003;62:521-8. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS2003261
- Bigaard J, Frederiksen K, Tjonneland A, Thomsen BL, Overvad K, Heitmann BL, Sorensen TI. Body fat and fat-free mass and all-cause mortality. Obes Res 2004;12:1042-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2004.131
- Janssen I, Heymsfield SB, Ross R. Low relative skeletal muscle mass (sarcopenia) in older persons is associated with functional impairment and physical disability. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002;50:889-96. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50216.x
- Kopelman PG. Obesity as a medical problem. Nature 2000;404:635-43. https://doi.org/10.1038/35007508
- James PT. Obesity: The worldwide epidemic. Clin Dermatol 2004;22:276-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clindermatol.2004.01.010
- James PT, Rigby N, Leach R; International Obesity Task Force. The obesity epidemic, metabolic syndrome and future prevention strategies. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2004;11:3-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.hjr.0000114707.27531.48
- Seidell JC, Kahn HS, Williamson DF, Lissner L, Valdez R. Report from a Center for Disease Control and Prevention Workshop on use of adult anthropometry for public health and primary health care. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;73:123-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/73.1.123
- WHO Expert Consultation. Appropriate body-mass index for Asian population and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 2004;363:157-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3
- Heyward VH, Wagner DR. Skinfold methods and additional anthropometric methods. In: Heyward VH, Wagner DR, editors. Applied Body Composition Assessment.Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2004. p.49-85.
- Sun SS, Chumlea WC, Heymsfield SB, Lukaski HC, Schoeller D, Friedl K, Kuczmarski RJ, Flegal KM, Johnson CL, Hubbard VS. Development of bioelectrical impedance analysis prediction equations for body composition with the use of a multicomponent model for use in epidemiologic surveys. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;77:331-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/77.2.331
- Houtkooper LB, Lohman TG, Going SB, Howell WH. Why bioelectrical impedance analysis should be used for estimating adiposity. Am J Clin Nutr 1996; 64(3 Suppl):436S-448S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/64.3.436S
- Kushner RF, Kunigk A, Alspaugh M, Andronis PT, Leitch CA, Schoeller DA. Validation of bioelectrical-impedance analysis as a measurement of change in body composition in obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;52:219-23. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/52.2.219
- Kyle UG, Genton L, Lukaski HC, Dupertuis YM, Slosman DO, Hans D, Pichard C. Comparison of fat-free mass and body fat in Swiss and American adults. Nutrition 2005;21:161-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2004.04.023
- Chumlea WC, Guo SS, Kuczmarski RJ, Flegal KM, Johnson CL, Heymsfield SB, Lukaski HC, Friedl K, Hubbard VS. Body composition estimates from NHANES III bioelectrical impedance data. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002;26:1596-609. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802167
- Schutz Y, Kyle UUG, Pichard C. Fat-free mass index and fat mass index percentiles in Caucasians aged 18-98y. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002;26:953-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802037
- Jakicic JM, Wing RR, Lang W. Bioelectrical impedance analysis to assess body composition in obese adult women: the effect of ethnicity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998;22:243-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0800576
- Ward LC, Heitmann BL, Craig P, Stroud D, Azinge EC, Jebb S, Cornish BH, Swinburn B, O'Dea K, Rowley K, McDermott R, Thomas BJ, Leonard D. Associatin between ethnicity, body mass index, and bioelectrical impedance. Implications for the population specificity of prediction equations. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2000;904:199-202.
- Heyward VH, Wagner DR. Bioelectrical impedance analysis. In: Heyward VH, Wagner DR, editors. Applied Body Composition Assessment. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2004. p.87-98.
- Dioum A, Gartner A, Cisse AS, Delpeuch F, Maire B, Wade S Schutz Y. Validity of impedance-based equations for the prediction of total body water as measured by deuterium dilution in African women. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;81:597-604. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/81.3.597
- Korea National Statistical Office. Healthcare and welfare. Explore Korea through Statistics. Korea National Statistical Office: Seoul; 2004. p.85-92.
- Kim DM, Ahn CW, Nam SY. Prevalence of obesity in Korea. Obes Rev 2005;6:117-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2005.00173.x
- Heyward VH, Wagner DR. Sources for body composition equipment. In: Heyward VH, Wagner DR, editors. Applied Body Composition Assessment. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2004. p.221-4.
- Biospace Co [Internet]. Patents & Certification. Available from: http://www.biospace.co.kr.
- Kyle UG, Bosaeus I, De Lorenzo AD, Deurenberg P, Elia M, Gomez JM, Heitmann BL, Kent-Smith L, Melchior JC, Pirlich M, Scharfetter H, Schols AM, Pichard C; Composition of the ESPEN Working Group. Bioelectrical impedance analysis--part I: review of principles and methods. Clin Nutr 2004;23:1226-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2004.06.004
- Medici G, Mussi C, Fantuzzi AL, Malavolit M, Albertazzi A, Bedogni G. Accuracy of eight-polar bioelectrical impedance analysis for the assessment of total and appendicular body composition in peritoneal dialysis patients. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005;59:932-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602165
- Sluyter JD, Schaaf D, Scragg RKR, Plank LD. Prediction of fatness by standing 8-eletrode bioimpedance: a multiethnic adolescent population. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2010;18:183-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2009.166
- Wang Z, Pierson RN Jr. Total body cabon and oxgen masses: evaluation of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry estimation by in vivo neurton activation analysis. Phys Med Biol 2010;55:5953-63. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/55/19/021
- Wang Z, Heymsfield SB, Chen Z, Zhu S, Pierson RN. Estimation of percentage body fat by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry: evaluation by in vivo human elemental composition. Phys Med Biol 2010;55:2619-35. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/55/9/013
- Lohman TG. Advances in Body Composition Assessement. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 1992. p.3-4.
- Lee HJ, Kim HC, Vitek L, Nam CM. Algae comsumption an risk of type 2 diabetes: Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey in 2005. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2010;56:13-8. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.56.13
- Haderslev KV, Haderslev PH, Staun M. Accuracy of body composition measurements by dual energy x-ray absorptiometry in underweight patients with chronic intestinal disease and in lean subjects. Dyn Med 2005;4:1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-5918-4-1
- Tothill P, Avenell A, Love J, Reid DM. Comparisons between Hologic, Lunar, and Norland dual-energy X-ray absorptionmeters and other techniques used for whole-body soft tissue measurements. Eur J Clin Nutr 1994;48:781-94.
- Stolarczyk LM, Heyward VH, Van Loan MD, Hicks VL, Wilson WL, Reano LM. The fatness-specific bioelectrical impedance analysis equations of Segal et al: are they generalizable and practical?. Am J Clin Nutr 1997;66:8-17. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/66.1.8
- Rush EC, Chandu V, Plank LD. Prediction of fat-free mass by bioimpedance analysis in migrant Asian Indian men and women: a cross validation study. Int J Obes (Lond) 2006;30:1125-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803230
- Valencia ME, Aleman-Mateo H, Salazar G, Hernandez Triana MH. Body composition by hydrometry (deuterium oxide dilution) and bioelectrical impedance in subjects aged > 60y from rural regions of Cuba, Chile and Mexico. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2003;27:848-55. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802315
- Novel Anthropometry-Based Calculation of the Body Heat Capacity in the Korean Population vol.10, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0141498
- Comparison of Fat Mass Percentage and Body Mass Index in Koreans With Spinal Cord Injury According to the Severity and Duration of Motor Paralysis vol.39, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2015.39.3.384
- Russian Caucasians have a higher risk of erosive reflux disease compared with East Asians: A direct endoscopic comparison vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/nmo.13002
- Obesity and Metabolic Unhealthiness Have Different Effects on Colorectal Neoplasms vol.102, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2017-00152
- Body weight difference between dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and multi-frequency bioelectrical impedance analysis attenuates the equivalence of body-composition assessment pp.1476-5640, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41430-018-0164-4