- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Environmental Equity Analysis of the Accessibility of Urban Neighborhood Parks in Daegu City
대구시 도시근린공원의 접근성에 따른 환경적 형평성 분석
- Seo, Hyun-Jin (Department of Geography, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Jun, Byong-Woon (Department of Geography, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2011.10.25
- Accepted : 2011.12.22
- Published : 2011.12.30
This study aims to investigate the environmental equity of the accessibility to urban neighborhood parks in the city of Daegu. The spatial distribution of urban neighborhood parks was explored by spatial statistics and the spatial accessibility to them was then evaluated by both minimum distance and coverage approaches. Descriptive and inferential statistics such as proximity ratio, Mann Whitney U test, and logistic regression were used for comparing the socioeconomic characteristics over different accessibilities to the neighborhood parks and then testing the distributional inequity hypothesis. The results from the minimum distance method indicated that Dalseo-gu had the best accessibility to the neighborhood parks while Dong-gu had the worst accessibility. It was apparent with the coverage method that Dalseo-gu had the best accessibility whereas Dong-gu and Nam-gu had the worst accessibility to the neighborhood parks at 500m and 1,000m buffer distances. There existed the spatial pattern of environmental inequity in old towns with respect to population density and the percentage of people under the age of 18. The spatial pattern of environmental inequity in new towns was explored on the basis of the percentage of people over the age of 65, the percentage of people below the poverty level, and the percentage of free of charge rental housing. These results were closely related to the development process of urban parks in Daegu stimulated by the quantitative urban park policy, urban development process, and residential location pattern such as permanent rental housing and free of charge rental housing. This study further extends the existing research topics of environmental justice related to the distributional inequity of environmental disamenities and hazards by focusing on environmental amenities such as urban neighborhood parks. The results from this study can be used in making the decisions for urban park management and setting up urban park policy with considering the social geography of Daegu.
- 강현구. 2003. 영구임대주택 문제의 실태와 원인 -대구지역을 사례로-. 경북대학교 석사학위논문.
- 권기찬. 1999. 생활권 도시공원의 적정배치에 관한 연구. 한국전통조경학회 17(4):129- 137.
- 국토해양부. 2005a. 도시공원 및 녹지 등에 관한 법률.
- 국토해양부. 2005b. 도시공원 및 녹지 등에 관한 법률 시행규칙.
- 대구광역시. 2007. 2020 대구도시기본계획.
- 대구광역시. 2009. 공원.유원지현황.
- 류연수, 나정화, 도후조. 2002. 유치거리 분석을 통한 도시공원의 적정배치. 한국조경학회지 20:33-38.
- 서현진. 2010. 도시근린공원의 접근성에 따른 환경적 형평성 분석 -대구시를 사례로-. 경북대학교 대학원 석사학위논문. 106쪽.
- 신지영. 2009. 도시공원 분포의 형평성 분석에 관한 연구: 성남시 사례를 중심으로. 한국환경복원녹화기술학회지 12(2):40-49.
- 윤순진. 2006. 사회정의와 환경의 연계, 환경정의: 원자력 발전소의 입지와 운용을 중심으로 들여다보기. 한국사회 7(1):93-143.
- 이경주, 임은선. 2009. 근린공원 입지계획지원을 위한 공급적정성 평가방법에 관한 연구. 국토연구 63:107-122.
- 이규천. 1995. 도시공원녹지 정책을 위한 윤리적 토지이용의 정치철학적 기초. 도시문제 33(320):74-90.
- 이동현, 이경주. 2010. 부산시 도시공원 공급적정성 평가에 관한 연구. 한국지리정보학회지 13(1):164-172.
- 최병두. 1995. 환경문제의 사회공간적 불평등. 도시연구 1:29-74.
- 최판길. 2008. 영구임대주택단지 거주자의 생활특성에 근거한 거주환경 개선방안 연구. 경북대학교 박사학위논문.
- 한국환경정책.평가연구원. 2008. 도시지역 저소득계층 보호를 위한 환경정책 연구 II-1․ II-2. 한국환경정책.평가연구원.
- Barbosa, O., J.A. Tratalos, P.R. Armsworth, R.G. Davies, R.A. Fuller, P. Johnson and K.J. Gaston. 2007. Who benefits from access to green space? a case study from Sheffield, UK. Landscape and Urban Planning 83:187-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2007.04.004
- Boone, C.G. 2002. An assessment and explanation of environmental inequity in Baltimore. Urban Geography 23(6):581-595. https://doi.org/10.2747/0272-36126.96.36.1991
- Boone, C.G., G.L. Buckley, J.M. Grove and C. Sister. 2009. Parks and people: an environmental justice inquiry in Baltimore, Maryland. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 99(4):767-787. https://doi.org/10.1080/00045600903102949
- Cutter, S.L. 1995. Race, class and environment justice. Progress in Human Geography 19(1):111-122. https://doi.org/10.1177/030913259501900111
- Hewko, J., K.E. Smoyer-Tomic and M.J. Hodgson. 2002. Measuring neighbourhood spatial accessibility to urban amenities: does aggregation error matter?. Environment and Planning A 34:1185 -1206. https://doi.org/10.1068/a34171
- Jun, B.W. 2006. GIS-based environmental equity assessment in the Atlanta metropolitan area, 1990. Journal of the Korean Urban Geographical Society 9(2):139-151.
- Lucy, W. 1981. Equity and planning for local services. Journal of the American Planning Association 47(4):447-457. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944368108976526
- Nicholls, S. 2001. Measuring the accessibility and equity of public parks: a case study using GIS. Managing Leisure 6:201-219. https://doi.org/10.1080/13606710110084651
- Omer, I. 2006. Evaluating accessibility using house-level data: a spatial equity perspective. Computer, Environment and Urban Systems 30:254-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2005.06.004
- Sister, C., J. Wilson and J. Wolch. 2008. Access to Parks and Park Facilities in the Green Visions Plan Region. Los Angles, CA: University of Southern California Center for Sustainable Cities and GIS Research Laboratory.
- Sister, C., J. Wolch and J. Wilson. 2009. Got green? addressing environmental justice in park provision. GeoJournal 75(3):229-248.
- Smoyer-Tomic, K.E., J.N. Hewko and M.J. Hodgson. 2004. Spatial accessibility and equity of playgrounds in Edmonton, Canada. The Canadian Geographer 48(3):287-302. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0008-3658.2004.00061.x
- Talen, E. 1997. The social equity of urban service distribution: an exploration of park access in Pueblo, CO and Macon, GA. Urban Geography 18(6):521-541. https://doi.org/10.2747/0272-36188.8.131.521
- Talen, E. 1998. Visualizing fairness: equity maps for planners. Journal of The American Planning Association 64(1):22-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944369808975954
- Talen, E. 2002. Pedestrian access as a measure of urban quality. Planning Practice & Research 17(3):257-278. https://doi.org/10.1080/026974502200005634
- Talen, E. 2003. Neighborhoods as service providers: a methodology for evaluating pedestrian access. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 30:181-200. https://doi.org/10.1068/b12977
- Talen, E. and L. Anselin. 1998. Assessing spatial equity: an evaluation of measures of accessibility to public playgrounds. Environment and Planning A 30:595-613. https://doi.org/10.1068/a300595
- Tarrant, M.A. and H.K. Cordell. 1999. Environment justice and the spatial distribution of outdoor recreation sites: an application of geographic information system. Journal of Leisure Research 31(1):18-34.
- Wolch, J., J.P. Wilson and J. Fehrenbach. 2005. Parks and park funding in Los Angeles: an equity mapping analysis. Urban Geography 26(1):4-35. https://doi.org/10.2747/0272-36184.108.40.206
- Analysis on Green Vulnerable Areas Considering the Catchment Area of Urban Parks vol.19, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2016.19.2.117
- An Analysis of Variation of Spatial Accessibility Pattern Based on 2SFCA : A Case Study of Welfare Facilities for the Aged in Gumi City vol.17, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2014.17.4.112
- A Study on the Distributive Equity of Neighborhood Urban Park in Seoul Viewed from Green Welfare vol.42, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2014.42.3.076
- A Study on the Preference and Introduction of the Outdoor Play Facilities for Children in a Metropolitan Area vol.18, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2015.18.1.013
- A Study on the Relationship of the Use Characteristics and the Sense of Community by the Type of Urban Neighborhood Park vol.30, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_PD.2014.30.10.149