- Volume 5 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Real-time Estimation and Analysis of Time-based Accessibility and Usability for Ubiquitous Mobile-Web Services
- Kim, Yung-Bok (Dept. of Computer Engineering, Sejong University)
- Received : 2010.11.17
- Accepted : 2010.12.28
- Published : 2011.05.31
Ubiquitous web services have been expanding in various business areas with the evolution of wireless Internet technologies, accessible and usable with a variety of mobile Internet devices such as smart phones. Ubiquitous mobile-web information services can be evaluated for accessibility and usability with the mobile Internet devices interacting with mobile-web information servers. In human mobile-web activity, a web server could be a unified center for mobile-web interaction services as well as for real-time estimation and analysis of mobile-web interaction sessions. We present a real-time estimation and analysis scheme for time-based accessibility and usability in ubiquitous mobile-web services. With real-time estimation/analysis of sessions in a mobile-web server, we estimated the time-based accessibility and usability for comparison between different web services as well as for applications in mobile cloud computing services. We present empirical results based on the implementation of the real-time estimation/analysis scheme.
- Y. B. Kim, "A ubiquitous social community portal service for social networking with convenient accessibility," in Proc. of ICCHP 2006, LNCS 4061, pp. 263-270, 2006.
- M. D. Lytras et al., "Editorial," Int. J. Knowledge and Learning, vol. 3, nos. 4/5, pp. 367-370, 2007.
- T. Finin, L. Ding and L. Zou, "Social networking on the semantic web," The Learning Organization, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 418-435, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470510611384
- M. Trier and A. Bobrik, "Social search: Exploring and Searching Social Architectures in Digital Networks," IEEE Internet Computing, March/April, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 51-59, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIC.2009.44
- M. Kirlidog, "Requirements determination in a community information projects: an activity theory approach," in Proc. of OTM Workshops 2006, LNCS 4277, pp. 257-268, 2006.
- M. Kaenampornpan and E. O'Neill, "Modeling context: an activity theory approach," in Proc. of EUSAI 2004, LNCS 3295, pp. 367-374, 2004.
- S. Duchateau, D. Boulay, C. Tchang-Ayo and D. Burger, "A strategy to achieve the accessibility of public web sites," in Proc. of ICCHP 2002, LNCS 2398, pp. 58-60, 2002.
- C. Hofstader, "Internet accessibility: beyond disability," IEEE Computer, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 103-105, Sep., 2004.
- E. Choi, Y. Nam, B. Kim and W. Cho, "An incremental statistical method for daily activity pattern extraction and user intention inference," KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 219-234, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.3837/tiis.2009.03.001
- Z. Liu, W. K. Ng and E. P. Lim, "Personalized web views for multilingual web sources," IEEE Internet Computing, pp. 16-22, Jul./Aug. 2004.
- L. D. Paulson, "W3C adopts web-accessibility specifications," IEEE Computer, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 23-26, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MC.2009.197
- D. Kelly, S. Dumais and J. O. Pedersen, "Evaluation challenges and directions for information-seeking support systems," IEEE Computer, March, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 60-66, 2009.
- A. Seffah, M, Donyaee, R. B. Kline and H.K. Padda, "Usability measurement and metrics: A consolidated model," Software Qual J, vol. 14, pp. 159-178, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11219-006-7600-8
- D. Norman, "Introduction to this special section on beauty, goodness, and usability," Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 311-318, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327051hci1904_1
- A. H. Betiol and W.A. Cybis, "Usability testing of mobile devices: a comparison of three approaches," in Proc. of INTERACT 2005, LNCS 3585, pp. 470-481, 2005.
- A. Beirekdar, M. Keita, M. Noirhomme, F. Randolet, J. Vanderdonckt and C. Mariage, "Flexible reporting for automated usability evaluation of web sites," in Proc. of INTERACT 2005, LNCS 3585, pp. 281-294, 2005.
- A. Sutcliffe and A. D. Angeli, "Assessing interaction styles in web user interface," in Proc. of INTERACT 2005, LNCS 3585, pp. 405-417, 2005.
- S. Pemberton, "The future of web interfaces," in Proc. of INTERACT 2005, LNCS 3585, pp. 4-5, 2005.
- J. W. Palmer, "Web site usability, design, and performance metrics," Information Systems Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 151-167, Jun. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.22.214.171.124
- S. Tang, H. Yong Feng and Y.J. Yip, "Performance of database driven network applications from the user perspective," KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 235-250, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.3837/tiis.2009.03.002
- J. Saarinen, T. Mikkonen, S. Tarkoma, J. Heikkinen and R. Pitkanen, "Towards a server-centric interaction architecture for wireless applications," KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 103-119, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.3837/tiis.2008.02.003
- S.D. Kim and M.G. Park, "An adaptation system based on personalized web content items for mobile devices," KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 628-646, Dec. 2009.
- S. Flesca, S. Greco, A. Tagarelli and E. Zumpano, "Mining user preferences, page content and usage to personalize website navigation," Springer, World Wide Web: Internet and Web Information Systems, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 317-345, 2005.
- X. Yang, P. Xiang and Y. Shi, "Finding user's interest using significant implicit evidence for web browsing on small screen devices," Springer, World Wide Web: Internet and Web Information Systems, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 213-234, 2009.
- A. Elbaum, G. Rothermel, S. Karre and M. Fisher II, "Leveraging user-session data to support web application testing," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 187-202, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSE.2005.36
- R. Reisner, "Jakob Nielsen critiques Twitter," Business Week, Special Report, May 2009.
- R. Stross, "Hey, just a minute (or why Google isn't Twitter)," Digital Domain, Jun. 2009.
- S. Pemberton, "Usability, accessibility and markup," 2005. http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/11-steven-usability-accessibility.
- K. L. Park, U. H. Yoon and S. D. Kim, "Personalized service discovery in ubiquitous computing environments," IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 58-65, 2009.
- J. Nielsen, "Usability: empiricism or ideology?" Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, Jun. 2005. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20050627.html.
- Y. B. Kim and A. G. Vacroux, "Real-time computer network performance analysis based on ISO/OSI transport service definition," in Proc. of IEEE ICC/SUPERCOMM '90, Atlanta, Georgia, Apr. 15-19, vol. 4, pp. 1464-1468, 1990.